20 or 22ft Box for Straight Trucks?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just wanted to see what the general opinion and preference was on size for box and what is your height and width preferred to run expedited freight? I really would like to consider a 20ft box in the future but I don't want to lose loads over 2ft.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Rarely does my 22ft ever get 10 spaces on the floor. So a 20ft would handle what? 8 spaces? Stack 2 pallets and your fine.
Go with what you want, can afford and don't worry about what ya could have had. With your thinking and a 22 ft box will you always be wondering, What if I had 24ft?

Reactions: Moot

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Mine is a 22ft box. Only once I had 10 pallets in there with some extra space for my stuff. I don't know how many 12 pallets loads I would have taken with a longer box, but 22 seems to be good for me.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: brokcanadian

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine is a 22ft box. Only once I had 10 pallets in there with some extra space for my stuff. I don't know how many 12 pallets loads I would have taken with a longer box, but 22 seems to be good for me.

Can't you stack 10 and 10 for a total of 20 or do some shippers prefer not to stack?

Seems like the 20ft box is enough to be in clear for the load but you give up room for personal stuff.
So either 20 or 22 works, personal stuff might just have to stay in sleeper until load completed. 22ft sounds like the sure bet though. We are talking 2 ft here :D

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Probably the GVWR plays in here. I've hit my gross with an engine taking up 3 feet of the 13 available in my Sprinter. Maybe a 24' box on a single axle is overkill?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
It all depends. I had one load that was 18 skids/crates that only weighed 6000 lbs, 10 skids on the floor and 8 on top of the ones on the floor.
I can legally put about 12k in my 22' box, single axle straight.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It all depends. I had one load that was 18 skids/crates that only weighed 6000 lbs, 10 skids on the floor and 8 on top of the ones on the floor.
I can legally put about 12k in my 22' box, single axle straight.

Is your truck a class 6,7 or 8? I hear you can haul a ton of weight with class 8 tandems on a straight.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Is your truck a class 6,7 or 8? I hear you can haul a ton of weight with class 8 tandems on a straight.
Honestly, I don't know what class it is. It is a medium duty Freightliner M2, 33k gvwr, 12k front axle and 21k rear axle.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok here's a good example of a load today. Would this be best suited for a 22 or would it work in a 20?

Laredo, TX 78040 to Kansas City, MO 64101 922 11 / 8825 45x48x45in. LARGE STRAIGHT

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the number 11 is the number of pallets then you would be leaving one behind with a 20' or 22' box, unless the pallets were stackable.

Reactions: scottm4211

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I were going at it again ideally I'd like a 26 foot box and a lift axle, 2 feet for bars/straps/etc and 12 floor spots 24 stacked spots. It wouldn't be used often but when it's the extra bit that gets me out of Laredo or the extra run a month it's a definite bonus. Reality might differ but that would be the original goal.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do they generally let you stack if you are in a situation like that when there is just one or two pallets left to load?