How many miles on your Promaster

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got a potential injector problem at 200,000 miles. Far as I'm concerned that's engine

Not to mention alternator, and starter that looks like the third...50% less life on sprinter parts so far as compared to my 2003 ford

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Friend of mine just stuck $13,000 into his Promaster. New engine, cat converter, shocks, struts, water pump and alternator. Engine was replaced at about 50K and now has bad cams, lifters and finally broke a connecting rod at about 350K.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sad to think 2003 was the pinnacle of long life diesels

All I'm saying, either make a long life version for those that want it, or we should all buy 40 year old technology

Who's got the time to fix something every 2 months?

Reactions: RoadTime

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I'm looking into a possible class action lawsuit against fca.... My 2015 2500 has been down 3 out of the last 10 months.... Transmission replacement, blue definition system breakdowns.
John

Sent from my SM-N920V using EO Forums mobile app

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Periodic just reported stop for fuel no reverse, think its a 2015 sprinter. Is this the new normal?

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
What we need is a real truck company to compete here. The International designed 7.3 I had went over a million miles with oil and filter changes and 1 hpop hose at 800,000 also cracked steel fuel lines that I broke and inserted some rubber hose between. The ford transmission was also fine with only 3 oil changes, they got that right

Why not design a small commercial engine / transmission option to sell to the big 3? I WOULD buy a brand new diesel designed for real commercial use (meaning minimum 500,000 miles trans and engine, ALL components, heavy use) right now I'm flip flopping between buying at the lowest depreciation several years old and saving a huge maintenance fund, or buying a cheap gasser and making life simple.

This story always reminds me that they just don't back anything anymore.

i've loved all my 7.3 Fords, having owned several since back when they were naturally aspired to the turbo powerstrokes. My habit has cooled some as I only have 2 left a 99 F250 and a 97 E350. There are many little tricks and updates that can be applied.That is possibly what I would be running if not for the limited size of the E series van body. I just need the extra height of these modern vans with their 68" - 72" rear and side door openings

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
yesterday makes 5 weeks my promaster has been at the shop. They replaced the broken gears in the transmission and put the van back together last week. The van is still throwing codes and jumping out of gear. The star team from the USA has given up on finding a solution. I was informed thursday that a team from Italy is offering their advice. I dont know if anyone will be able to correct the problem. I have lost confidence that this van can earn a living and after 5 weeks I'm kinda broke.

I'd give up and get the new near 30 mpg Sprinter!

Reactions: RoadTime

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At 200K had to change the (gas) engine. But I don't blame the manufacturer, it was driven by a horrible guy... I also changed the driver... and lots of bulbs (headlights, markers)

That driver was running that promaster like a rental car ;) I'm sure he knew how to peel a wheel.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
yesterday makes 5 weeks my promaster has been at the shop. They replaced the broken gears in the transmission and put the van back together last week. The van is still throwing codes and jumping out of gear. The star team from the USA has given up on finding a solution. I was informed thursday that a team from Italy is offering their advice. I dont know if anyone will be able to correct the problem. I have lost confidence that this van can earn a living and after 5 weeks I'm kinda broke.

I'd give up and get the new near 30 mpg Sprinter!

sounds easy! but I still owe on the promaster and cant trade it in while its broke at a shop. And most scary of all is I was quoted $41,000 for the sprinter which makes for a note of about 1100 a month

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Class 8 looking better and better option these days if I can find someone to stretch frame inexpensively. Sprinters are under produced. If there were more on the road price would be less. Hopefully making them in the US will contribute to that.

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Got quote of $16,000 trade in value for a 2016 2500 Promaster deisel, 86,000 miles on it, all options, excellent condition.
Couldn't believe my ears!

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
They can't fix these damn things, deisels that is... Emergency brakes and def systems....transmission replaced as well, been in the shop 3 months out of 10....read charity's van and Biggdogg s blogs on thier problems too

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Charity....you really should report your transmission problem jumping out of gear to the National highway transportation safety board...they get several complaints on any issues like that an investigation can be opened and a recall issued ....bigdogg is doing so.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I am at 171,000 miles on my 2016 2500 Gas Promaster...had engine work done at 134,000 (replaced lifters and rocker arms) and at 144,000 paid $4600 for new transmission. Untold numbers of headlights, and bought my 2nd set of tires (Michellin MS2) at 164,000. Last set lasted about 90,000 and 2 still had 5/32 on them.

Have owned this promaster (bought new) for 16.5 mos.

FYI will NOT be buying Dodge/Ram in future...hope in 3+ years we have better options.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: jcochristoph

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am at 171,000 miles on my 2016 2500 Gas Promaster...had engine work done at 134,000 (replaced lifters and rocker arms) and at 144,000 paid $4600 for new transmission. Untold numbers of headlights, and bought my 2nd set of tires (Michellin MS2) at 164,000. Last set lasted about 90,000 and 2 still had 5/32 on them.

Have owned this promaster (bought new) for 16.5 mos.

FYI will NOT be buying Dodge/Ram in future...hope in 3+ years we have better options.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EO Forums mobile app
Was the last set ms2's? Just asking because that's about half the milage they should get.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got a potential injector problem at 200,000 miles. Far as I'm concerned that's engine

Not to mention alternator, and starter that looks like the third...50% less life on sprinter parts so far as compared to my 2003 ford
and yet here I am...1.1 million miles....never had an alternator blow out and 1 starter just last month...1 ball joint and 1 alignment and nothing else still all original..heck front wheel bearings are original.....3 sets of front brake and 1 set of rears....1 engine replaced and on 3rd transmission...rear end is all original never been touched.......1 complete fuel delivery system replaced and 1 ECM

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

and yet here I am...1.1 million miles....never had an alternator blow out and 1 starter just last month...1 ball joint and 1 alignment and nothing else still all original..heck front wheel bearings are original.....3 sets of front brake and 1 set of rears....1 engine replaced and on 3rd transmission...rear end is all original never been touched.......1 complete fuel delivery system replaced and 1 ECM
Just an aside...my million mile Ford was highway driven only, as OVM'S sprinter...my sprinter had only 180,000 miles but lived its life for short trips...oil leaks, egr failure, fluids black, conductor plate in transmission, ABS error 50% of time, wiring harness worn out and shorting internally etc etc

Sometimes you really have to work for that city truck low mileage deal. My point...buying new or off another expediter, you can get crazy miles out of anything, stop and go driving kills

Reactions: OntarioVanMan