My Battle of the Bulge

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After my weight ballooned to an all time high back on 6-8-13 I knew it was way past time to make some changes. It took some time for myself to get on board but am now in full weight loss mode. Losing weight on the road has been, with out a doubt, very difficult when faced with all the opportunities to over indulge or just plan give in to quick comfort food.

This post is more for myself then anything, but if it encourages anyone great. As an official King of the Buffet it has not been easy. But each days success builds to create a life pattern.

Up till the last couple of weeks, it's been all about calorie control. Now that the weight is coming off I've had the energy to increase my exercise a little. Mostly walking a little more each day when ever possible.

Today was a small celebration as I hit my lowest weight in 11 months with 21 pounds lost. I still have 29 pounds to go to get me to a realistic target. Which seems a lot more achievable now then when I started. Then I will decide if I want to shoot for the my idea weight range. Which seems way to low and have not been there since high school. But one goal at a time :)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
After my weight ballooned to an all time high back on 6-8-13 I knew it was way past time to make some changes. It took some time for myself to get on board but am now in full weight loss mode. Losing weight on the road has been, with out a doubt, very difficult when faced with all the opportunities to over indulge or just plan give in to quick comfort food.

This post is more for myself then anything, but if it encourages anyone great. As an official King of the Buffet it has not been easy. But each days success builds to create a life pattern.

Up till the last couple of weeks, it's been all about calorie control. Now that the weight is coming off I've had the energy to increase my exercise a little. Mostly walking a little more each day when ever possible.

Today was a small celebration as I hit my lowest weight in 11 months with 21 pounds lost. I still have 29 pounds to go to get me to a realistic target. Which seems a lot more achievable now then when I started. Then I will decide if I want to shoot for the my idea weight range. Which seems way to low and have not been there since high school. But one goal at a time :)

Great outlook. You'll do it. ;)

spongebox1

Expert Expediter

Good luck sir, keep us posted

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
A friend of mine many years ago did this: 16 oz of water before each meal( start early on the water), then no taters, and no bread and it worked, but everyone is different. Me, I somehow got a different dna code, I eat everything and not much changes, I know , its not fair....

Reactions: vandriver2

malthom

Rookie Expediter
Best of luck . I hope it all comes off. Me, worst habit. Do not eat while I drive (it makes me tired) get parked,eat and then sleep.

Better to say job well done THAN say well said.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Keep on keeping on Roadtime.

Btw, I did a buffet the other day for the first time in quite awhile and it wasn't very good and it certainly wasn't worth the money. It's now $14+ and then I suppose you're supposed to tip the drink-fetcher. It was almost $17 out the door and they didn't even have the item that the sign out front said they had, and to add insult to injury the drink-fetcher guy was snippy about my wanting something other than sweat tea.

I wish I'd saved the money and cooked something on my lunchbox oven or butane burner.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hear that. More times lately, anything I get that I really should avoid, turns out to be not as good as I remembered or thought. I have been changing my attitude on Buffets. When I do go to one, No longer is it an all I can cram in me affair and waddle out. I try to think of it as any other place and forget the "all you can eat" part. 2 plate max. 1st is a large salad, 2nd anything else. I find it makes me much more selective that way as to what I really want. Instead of endless piles without thinking. If the soup looks good I'll add a cup also. Not a big dessert person. I only hit a Buffet once every couple of weeks.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Best of luck . I hope it all comes off. Me, worst habit. Do not eat while I drive (it makes me tired) get parked,eat and then sleep.

I pretty much don't eat and drive anymore. Unless I get caught on a long run and was not able to eat before hand. Dropped another 5 pounds for 26 pounds total :)

---Drive your way to fitness

Calories Burned Driving a Car

Driving requires energy. Moving the wheel, using your feet to operate
the pedals and turning your head all require calories to power the
body. According to CalorieLab.com, on average, a person weighing 150
lbs. will burn about 68 calories an hour driving. A person who weighs
120 lbs. will burn about only 55 calories an hour driving, while a
person weighing 220 lbs. will burn about 100.

Variables

Calories burned per hour goes up with certain types of cars and
certain types of driving. A 150-lb. person driving a bus, heavy truck
or tractor burns about 136 calories an hour, and that same person
driving a race car burns about 340 calories an hour. Driving a truck,
including loading and unloading, will burn about 374 calories an hour,
about the same amount in a Whopper Jr. from Burger King.

Reactions: vandriver2

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I know this sounds gross but juicing is a fast and healthy way to loose weight fast. Hard to do on the road but you can drop 20pds a month safely if you do. I tried it for a week and couldn't take it anymore but lost 10 pds in 5 days. I think 5 pounds was stopping at store for vege's and looking for a john.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I juiced back about 10 years ago. I enjoyed it, but got sick of the not so "easy clean up".

races

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
congrats roadtime. some pics before and after will encourage all too!

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
congrats roadtime. some pics before and after will encourage all too!

That's harsh man. If I ever dared post a pic of me it would be from the neck up er the chin up er the eyeballs up er the skullpiece up er **** man it's all so embarrassing, how about I post a pic of how I look in my mind's eye? <enable pic of Greek God> :)

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's harsh man. If I ever dared post a pic of me it would be from the neck up er the chin up er the eyeballs up er the skullpiece up er **** man it's all so embarrassing, how about I post a pic of how I look in my mind's eye? <enable pic of Greek God> :)

I find photoshop or similar can handle that haha. But yeah, doubtful for any pics. Some things are better left unseen. I have gained or lost (depending how you look at it) two notches on my belt loop :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yours is a great story, RoadTime. You demonstrate how a change of mind can produce a change in your body.

I'm especially struck by your comment about how difficult it is to lose weight out on the road, and that applies double for expediters who run irregular schedules. Comfort food really does provide comfort. And when you run sometimes for days at a time and sit sometimes for days at a time, it is easy to feel the need to eat, not because you are hungry, but because it feels good.

It is great how you changed your mind about what feels good and what does not.

Last edited: