Yet another Detour

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
June 8th I-94 Jackson Michigan will be closing. And that's all I know at this point and time. According to the signs you will have to exit I-94.. No detour posted yet.
Also I-75 Erlanger KY area will start major road construction soon. That's all I know about that one also..
What a mess we are facing.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
June 8th I-94 Jackson Michigan will be closing. And that's all I know at this point and time. According to the signs you will have to exit I-94.. No detour posted yet.
Also I-75 Erlanger KY area will start major road construction soon. That's all I know about that one also..
Time to go home for summer!

Reactions: jcochristoph

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It gets better...... I-696 west bound will be closed from us-10 to I-275 south, which is also closed.......

What a cluster.......

Gee we have great planners here in Michigan. :mad:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It gets better...... I-696 west bound will be closed from us-10 to I-275 south, which is also closed.......

What a cluster.......

For how long? I've known they have closed that s cation of 696 usually for the weekend.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I think their real intention here is to get us to stop beeching about the roads.
Of all the mess we have now how many of these repairs are going to ease congestion and keep traffic flowing?

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
Lucky me... I live in Jackson, so can take surface streets to dodge the I-94 construction. That M-14 mess in Ann Arbor hits me hard though. Google Maps on the phone found a way to dodge through Ann Arbor without taking TOO long, but it's still a PITA.

Reactions: Moot

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think their real intention here is to get us to stop beeching about the roads.
Of all the mess we have now how many of these repairs are going to ease congestion and keep traffic flowing?
Oh, I am not complaining about needed repairs at all. My issue is they are working on roads that are not in immediate need of work. There are roads that are literally crumbling. M-59 (Hall Rd.) thru Sterling Heights, Shelby Twp and Utica is a fine example.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I often wonder what travelers who land in Detroit must think when they either take the hub breaking Eureka Rd on the south side of DTW or see the billboards with pictures of wanted murderers on I-94

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That M-14 mess in Ann Arbor hits me hard though. Google Maps on the phone found a way to dodge through Ann Arbor without taking TOO long, but it's still a PITA.
The M-14 mess isn't bad if you do it during off hours. If you do it during off hours! Yesterday I picked up in Livonia at 16:30 going to Columbus, IN. On my way to Livonia from Ypsilant I noticed I-96/M-14 or what the F its called was messed up.

Leaving the shipper Miss Nuvi wanted me to take I-275 to Toledo and then U.S. 24 etc. the shortest route. I opted to work my way over to 23 and then south to I-94 over to I-69. I got on M-14 somewhere west of I-275 and when I got to 23, it was stopped. I bailed out at the first exit and worked my way west. My transit time at 45 mph gave me an easy 2 hour cushion to make the delivery time. Why I didn't want to sit in backups, I don't really know. Must be "Purely Michigan".

Eventually I made it through Ann Arbor to I-94. Don't ask me how. Miss Nuvi constantly wanted me to go north to M-14 and then reminded me it was closed. I wanted to toss her out the window or turn her off but I needed her to find my way to I-94. Find my way and in all honesty I couldn't afford to buy a new GPS. I made it to the consignee with plenty of time to spare even though I-65 south of Indy was down to one lane.

Moral of the story? I'm not sure there is one. I'm still confused, but that's normal for me. I could say, don't trust your GPS and go analog. My Rand McNally didn't have a real detailed map of Ann Arbor so I relied on Miss Nuvi for a general view of the city even though I ignored her suggestions to go north. I knew enough to continue west. Go west young/old man to find I-94. Find it I did. Eventually!

Reactions: Turtle

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh no! Please tell me that was a late April's Fools joke!!!

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh, I am not complaining about needed repairs at all. My issue is they are working on roads that are not in immediate need of work. There are roads that are literally crumbling. M-59 (Hall Rd.) thru Sterling Heights, Shelby Twp and Utica is a fine example.
That's something absolutely normal for Michigan... ;)

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don'tget a lot of offers to Michigan and I refuse all of them when they come along one because of speed limit when they grow up and move it to 65 ill go unless its been done the other is road condition ill be damed if I will crawl across a rough crapy road.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If I were to avoid a state just because of the roads conditions, I would have to avoid half the country.
It's pretty bad. I think Michigan roads are the worst, because the roads I mostly drive on in Michigan are really bad. But overall, Michigan isn't nearly as bad as you'd think. It's just that where they are bad, they're really, really bad.

Attached is a PDF file of all of the states, sorted from best to worst, insofar as the percentage of the roads in that state which are in Poor/Mediocre Condition, according to the US Department of Transportation, which gets most of the data from the American Society of Civil Engineers (which is probably most famous for getting into a very corrupt bed with the Army Corps of Engineers to create the Katrina report that virtually absolved the USACE of any and all wrongdoing in New Orleans, and got their butt kicked by Congress for doing so). The percentages are probably relatively accurate overall, but the very low percentages are likely to be a little on the too low side, and very high percentages are likely to be on the too high side, because the report uses a small source of data for each state and then extrapolates that data to the entire state roadway system. That can miss roads badly in need of repair (the very low percentage states), and can overstate the amount of need for road repairs especially when new roadway construction and maintenance gets conflated into what appears to be greater need (the very high percentage states).

The unsorted (well, sorted alphabetically by state) can be found here:
Road and Bridge Data by State

Attachments

• Roads.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 11