Working for more than one company

vipra

Expert Expediter
I've heard that some expediters work for more than one company, and I'm wondering if this significantly increases your mileage. It seems like it should, because you have 2 or 3 companies trying to find you loads instead of just one.
Will someone who is doing this tell how much effect it has?
Do all companies allow their drivers to work for other companies as well? If not, which ones do allow it?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I recall a few years ago driving down I-71 and saw a then Roberts Express sign on one side of the truck and a Tri-State on the other side.

My guess is most carriers have some kind of wording in their contracts that would keep an O/O exclusively leased.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

T.V. - Why do you think they call it programming?

No, YOU suck. - the mean people

"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States." - J. Bartlett Brebner

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. - I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Become who you are. - Nietzsche

Whoever coined the phrase "Quiet as a mouse" has never stepped on one.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Prior to deregulation, you could do this. Now you would need essentially your own company. That would include your own operating authority and insurance.
The only other way is to run for a company that will let you use their authority and insurance to haul other loads. They will of course take a percentage so you have to weigh all of your costs against the final rate.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The practice Dave is referring to was/is called "Trip Leasing". I'm not sure it exists anymore. It was popular with smaller trucking companies or companies with limited authority. Most large truck stops had agents/brokers that represented the bigger trucking outfits. These agents were often domiciled in ghetto-like buildings on the edge of the truck stop property (I'm thinking the East ST. Louis 76). Or they were off site somewhere. I once delt with husband/wife agents who worked a bank of phones from there home. The agents offered the load and handled the paper work. The driver had to sign a lease that usually expired when the load was delivered. The driver was required to carry a copy of the lease, the new carriers bingo cards and authority, post the carriers signs with ICC number (taped to the doors or fuel tanks)and probably a bunch of other things I can't remember. When the load was delivered all items had to be mailed back to the trip leasing carrier. That included the dirty wet cardboard signs that blew of the first hundred miles into the trip.

It would be nice if a person could trip lease with different expedite companies. But I would imagine that after everybody got their cut the driver would be left with a few crumbs.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back in '99 or '00 there was a guy doing this. He had 2 qualcoms on his van and was leased to both companies. This ended for him when they got tired of him taking a load and then changing his mind when company B came up with a better one. He also said he would ocassionally double up. That would have been a potential insurance nightmare, I would think. I've never heard of anyone doing it since.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I know a fellow doing it now. The problem he is encountering is that the first company is getting a little tired of his not being available when loads are. One day he was offered a load in the morning, turned it down after accepting and did the samething in the afternoon. COmpany hired another broker to handle his freight, so he gets little anymore.
Basically you have to balance which loads you want and which company is your main bread and butter. Then only accept from secondary that which fills in and helps.
I tried it several years ago and lost a decent contract. So from my point of view work for someone that will allow you to get a backhaul on your own rather than work for two companies. If they take a little chunk of the pie so be it. Unless you got room and they have a load going the same direction you're not available to them.
Usually loads do not go the same way they go in different directions.
If you're thinking about it becarefull and choose your loads wisely. Remember to cover your butt!
Rob Fis

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I posted yesterday I completely forgot we have a forum member working for two companies, DannyD. He's doing it with one company being primary and the other secondary. He was having issues with the secondary company and may not be doing it anymore.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most companies have the word Exclusive written in as part of their leae agreement. If yoiu owned or managed a expediting company would you want your contractors helping your competition.
Trip leasing was an excellent way to get backhauls or other loads taking you somewhere. I did it once from Philadelphia to Jacksonville. The broker faxed me all of the documents needed and I only had to pay for 2 days of insurance.They advanced 30% on a com check and when I faxed them the signed bol they comchecked the rest.

If you could still get trip insurance you could then have your own authority, stay leased to a major carrier and pick up frieght on your own as a true independent. OOIDA used to sell trip insurance but stopped some time ago.