Winter time in my Cargo Van

mister_newbie

Expert Expediter
Does anyone know of a good way to stay warm in my gas powered cargo van?

I am not sure if I should leave my van running, while I sleep, since the threat of carbon monoxide. My exhaust system has no leaks, but should I really trust that?

Does anyone have any ideas, like water heaters, or inside heaters?

I have heard of Espar, but they are for diesel powered vehicles. I thought about buying one of the Espar heaters, and having a seperate diesel tank, to power the heater, does anyone ever done that before?

Thanks.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In the camping equipment area of walmart/K Mart you can find a propane powered catalytic heater ,sells for about $45.00.There is no flam so it is safe to use indoors.The heat comes from a chemical reaction. These heaters are primarily sold to the rv/tent crowd but work very well in a truck.A small bottle of propane will last for about 10 hours. The only negative thing is that you cannot regulate the temp and sometimes it can get too warm.
About 5 years ago a expediter from Canada told us about this heater and it works very well. One Time I came out of a motel in February in Mass,outside temp was 2,cab temp was 4,I started the heater and 20 minutes later it was 55 in the cab.I have had the heater on with a carbon monoxide detector and it never triggered it.Check it out,cheap way to stay warm.

mister_newbie

Expert Expediter
I did see one of those heaters before, but did not know how safe it was. I am glad that you told me about this. I will go and pick up one of these heaters.

I don't have a bulkhead, other than a shower curtain, behind my camping fold up bed, behind the seats. Maybe I sat it in the middle of the cargo floor, it would heat the entire van.

thanks again.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd get a carbon monoxide detector and put in the van no matter which way you go for heat. Good luck to you.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Mr. Newbie,

When it comes to winter heating solutions for Expediters I ALWAYS recommend this awesome product:

The Espar Heater

It's the BEST product on the market for the expediting application. It works in cargo vans, straight trucks, class 8 tractors gasoline and diesel.

While it's expensive at $1200 installed - it's well worth it and you know the old saying "you get what you pay for.

Here is a few links:

Espar of Michigan
https://www.expeditersonline.com/sub/espar/index.html

Story on Esapr
http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/publish/article_002001.html

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

mister_newbie

Expert Expediter
I wrote to Espar, awhile back. I noted that I had a gas powered Chevy van, and the person who wrote back to me, stated they had only dealt with diesel engined vehicles. I even mentioned adding a seperate tank, to fill with diesel, to operate the heater, and they made no comment of that happening.

Everyone once in a while, you will see some for sale on ebay. Right now with the shortage in runs, $1200 is a lot of money. I broke down on the road, in Cincinnati, OH., (I live in Michigan)last week. The fuel pump went out of it, and the fuel pump is in the fuel tank. So I had to have it towed, and have a dealership work on it. Spent the night in a hotel, and the cost of the repair, was $786. Probably could have done it myself, if it was at home, but was too far to tow it home. So now have to lean towards the optional ways of heating, until I get back on my feet.

Thanks for the information, really appreciate it.

comfort king

Expert Expediter
Just so all you Cargo Van operators know, the Espar Heater System is available for gas applications too! - model B1LCC, available @ Espar of Michigan, in Detroit. 800.837.3900

Figuring gas @ about $2.00/gal and about .75 gal/hr. while idling, the heater pays for itself in about 3 months. That's just fuel cost, not to mention a warm, comfortable resting period - WITHOUT the engine idling, wearing, polluting, etc.

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter
I carry a 3550 watt generator on the back of my e-350 van. I built a swing away carrier that swings off to the side when i get loaded,unloaded. I run a 1500 watt heater battery charger,tv,vcr,sattelie receiver. Run about 14hrs on 4gal of gas. Saves on wear and tear on vehicle engine.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
MA, How is your swing away mounted? Is it like the custom van spare tire holder that mounts on the door hinges, or does it mount on a trailer hitch bracket. Got any pictures? What brand is your generator? :+ :+

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter
built it myself, mounts in the trailer receiver, the generator is a troybuilt bought it at lowes 550.00. been using it a year now a little noisey but i always park far enough away from everyone as not to disturbe them works great. pat pending on carrierso no pictures right now

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Sounds very similar to the set up a guy had I met a while back.. only his was one of those hitch mount cargo carriers... sat the generator on it and strapped it down. Sounds like your 'swing a way' mount would be more user friendly tho, and definately quicker to set up!

Thanks for sharing your ingenuity! It's great to see the different ways 'vanners' take care of their comfort out on the road!

Dreamer

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Rear engine. Air cooled. Is your van a Volkswagen or a Corvair? The Corvair part is showing my age. Does your motor/generator ride on the rear all the time? Thanks :+ :+

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter
yes it stays on the rear all the time. i built it out of spare metal i had laying around the garage. tried the rear cargo carrier bit. for one person was to much to handle. another suggestion for some of you.
buy a front receiver (draw-tite) $125.00 have it mounted,buy a aluminum cargo carrier (tractor supply) about $.65.00 that way its a pernment mount. it will hold up to 500lbs. i used this way for a while. make sure you install some kind of corner markers so you know your stopping distance.i used fiberglass rods that has reflectors for 1.49ea.you're only adding about 140lbs to your tk weight.i have a e-350 and it doesn't interfer with the engine.cooling i run ac,tv,computer,sat dish, battery charger to keep all batteries charged while the engine is off.could even add a small refrigator and microwave or any electrical cooking appliance. oh by the way i added a high top to my van,as much stand up room as the sprinter,with a crank up bed that goes into the top,when im loaded,that way when i'm loaded and need some sleep just lower the bed down to top of cargo and you have a bed to sleep in and not your seat.hope some of this info will make your life easier out on the road.cost around 600.00 for gen,carrier and receiver depending on size of gen you get

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Age and the Old Prof? RE: Winter time in my Cargo

>Rear engine. Air cooled. Is your van a Volkswagen or a
>Corvair? The Corvair part is showing my age. Does your
>motor/generator ride on the rear all the time? Thanks

> :+ :+

Corvairs????
UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED
I'm glad that Ralph Nader didn't see my '66 Volks.
THAT was unsafe......
Seatbelts????? huh
Locking Seats????huh
(lots of fun in a panic stop)
GAS GAUGE????? ho ho ho.
Defroster???? --- I carried a scraper and scraped the inside of the windshield.

Good gas Mileage???? you bet.....did you ever buy 25 cents worth of gas??

The Good Old Days

}>

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
RE: Age and the Old Prof? RE: Winter time in my Ca

We've been using the Catylatic heater for 2 winters now and the detector along with it, one thing I noticed is and I don't know for sure is...I've noticed when I run it all night I awoke after about 5 hours I tried to Light a cigarette But was unable to get my lighter to work? I opened to window completely and bingo it worked..I have experimented a few times since and come to the conclusion the since it burns oxygen it must deplete the air around you so if your cab is almost airtight or as tight as one can get, you should crack a window abit I don't think yuo'd sufficate but I did have a hellava headache.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I Have an Espar heater on a gas engine E350 That was installed by Espar of Michigan. The Heater works great I recommend it to any one that is looking for ways to heat the van and not have the engine running.
Give them a call at Espar of Michigan They are nice guys and you will be happy with teir work.

Marty

Veteran Expediter

Hi Ace,
I ran a Espar heater in my Sprinter van and it was fantastic. Now I have a 2004 Chevy Express and I am thinking of putting an Espar heater in it. I was curious to know how effient the gas model is.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter

Marty,

Several drivers went from a Ford or Chev to a Sprinter. You went from a sprinter to a Chev. Any particular reason? :+ :+

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

>Hi Ace,
>I ran a Espar heater in my Sprinter van and it was
>fantastic. Now I have a 2004 Chevy Express and I am thinking
>of putting an Espar heater in it. I was curious to know how
>effient the gas model is.
It is very effecient it uses min.fuel and saving the engine life is a big plus.

jg

Expert Expediter
For sixty bucks, you can get 0 degree sleeping bags from Cabelas, Campmor, other places. In the spring and fall, get a 30-40 degree bag, in the summer, use a summerweight bag. Sleep comfortably all night without running the engine and worrying about bad fumes. If you want to sit during the day for a long time and have heat, sit at McDonalds or other heated facility.
Total cost is about $125 a year for the first year, nothing after that.