Why sprinter over a cargo van?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I have been in a high top 3500 promaster for about 4 months now driving for a owner.

As i start to stray into the idea of O/O, im looking into getting a cargo van like a chevy express or the likes. Definitely the extended version so i can fit 3 pallets. definitely 3500.

So far i have hauled maybe 2-3 loads that would be too tall for a cargo van, yet i am seeing in comparison to similar sprinters, a significant price difference in general between sprinters and cargo vans.

Besides the height, are there any other benefits on a sprinter that im overlooking?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been in a high top 3500 promaster for about 4 months now driving for a owner.

As i start to stray into the idea of O/O, im looking into getting a cargo van like a chevy express or the likes. Definitely the extended version so i can fit 3 pallets. definitely 3500.

So far i have hauled maybe 2-3 loads that would be too tall for a cargo van, yet i am seeing in comparison to similar sprinters, a significant price difference in general between sprinters and cargo vans.

Besides the height, are there any other benefits on a sprinter that im overlooking?
I started in a Dodge CV...and when I realized I was going to stay in this business I went to the Sprinter more for comfort features.....CVing was a backwards step in evolution...we were made to stand up on 2 legs....LOL
The carrier I was with did a lot of aircraft parts....landing gear and engines....I was missing out on a lot of loads by a few inches...To this date the sprinter is still the largest van out there...but can not handle as much weight as the promasters or Fords....BUT do we really want more weight?....These things are light /medium duty at best...weight is a budget killer...
Cost wise end of model year Sprinters are going for LESS then 40K I've heard of 36-37 K..same price I paid for my 05 in 05.....not too bad...
A $40K investment that will probably gross about $1 Million bucks over its lifetime if taken care of properly not too shabby....Good Luck....Ken

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Simple put .....
When shipper asks for a Spr-type van .... thats what they want ... EVEN if it might be a 10 lb. box .... believe me in a flat top van... you will miss lots of load offers .... Just my opinion....

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Simple put .....
When shipper asks for a Spr-type van .... thats what they want ... EVEN if it might be a 10 lb. box .... believe me in a flat top van... you will miss lots of load offers .... Just my opinion....
Do you know if roadrunner even leases on cargos? thats who im with right now as well.

Reactions: TDave and ntimevan

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like n time said often shippers request sprinter type vans regardless of the freight. The idea that it would fit in a cargo van doesn't make any difference. It's easier for them to load and if the freight happens to grow before you get loaded it still fits. Besides standing up to put your pants on is worth a few grand.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you know if roadrunner even leases on cargos? thats who im with right now as well.

Nope..
... you drive for Shawn out of Mo... ?
And Jim advised me on Tuesday when i stopped for my Driver goodies ... that RRE is still not putting on more Spr. type vans ....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The ease and low cost of maintenance. :jester:

The biggest benefit is that so few carriers will even take on a cargo van these days. When a Sprinter leaves the fleet, they have no interest in replacing it with with a cargo van.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Nope..
... you drive for Shawn out of Mo... ?
And Jim advised me on Tuesday when i stopped for my Driver goodies ... that RRE is still not putting on more Spr. type vans ....
Yeah i do you drive for him too? and thats too bad looks like ill be finding another carrier.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Yeah i guess im better off with a sprinter then. Thats too bad i really miss the drive thrus :p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thats too bad i really miss the drive thrus :p
I don't have a problem with most of them. I can just stay clear of the annoying overhangs at the speaker (at most places) and at the window I'll keep my distance and get out of the Sprinter and take the couple of steps to the window. I rarely use a drive-thru when the dining lobby is open, however.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching

Some carriers will sign you at a better per mile rate with a sprinter type than a cargo. Tri-state is at .85 for cargo and 1.00 for sprinter type. Ptl is .75 for cargo and 1.00 for sprinter type.

Reactions: TDave

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
You are able to Carrie more, taller loads
Just have to set it up right

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First, the extended Chev G3500 will only carry 2 skids not 3. I had one and I know not just think it. Second, and the reason you want the Sprinter/Transit/Promaster, you get to stand up straight when you put your pants on in the morning.