Who's hiring for cargo vans?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Not much help here. 157 VIEWS AND 3-4 ANSWERS..One says he can tell me who is hiring but doesnt,one gives me a link which is good. And Greg gives a sarcastic answer that wasnt really needed. Nice! Tristate says no vans needed.Landstar really wants 13 feet of cargo room,meaning a Sprinter,and requires Hazmat Endorsement and Class A or B CDL.Maybe I should have added no sarcastic remarks from Little truck drivers ( straight trucks ).

Lawrence gave you a good link. I looked at it. It works.

I don't plan on taking on ANY vans for the rest of this year. Not unless it's a turtle top w/ raised doors. Then maybe.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
And Greg gives a sarcastic answer that wasnt really needed.

Actually I gave a very good answer and the sarcasm was there to emphasize the need to pay attention in using the right terms.

As ragman said carriers don't hire drivers, they contract with owners and if you use the word hire, then it sets you up for failure because you now have an employee mindset that some carriers want you to have.

By the way if you want to get into Landstar, be persistent.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Your best bet in a cargo van is to get your own authority or just bite the bullet and lease on with a larger carrier. I think Panther is one of the easiest companies to lease on with. Also, Bolt Express might be taking on cargo vans right now too. Panther pays a little bit more than bolt, but you might sit longer in between loads. Bolt will keep ya hoppin at a lower rate, but I made 43k in 8 months with them last year, and I was off approximately 2 months out of that 8 month timeline. I actually made the 43k in 6 months of being available for loads.

Don't let people discourage you because they are biased against the van, or because they can't find freight to load up a van. The bigger companies will always have freight to go into your van. My buddy at panther has run 5k miles in 2 weeks time. Most all of those loads were actual Panther customers "not bid board work" that a lot of the smaller carriers get. It all depends on what you want to do with yourself. Also, Landstar while a good paying company, is not ideal for keeping your truck as busy as some of the lower paying carriers out there. Good luck man.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I thought Load 1 put a hiring freeze on vans last year, but somehow The Enemy and Jen got hired! There is always an exception to the rule! Never say never.

I guess there is always an exception. Or I guess we had something to offer that the Load 1 crew was looking for.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I guess there is always an exception. Or I guess we had something to offer that the Load 1 crew was looking for.

Got to remember also, Load 1 does not look at Sprinters as "Cargo vans" to my understanding. They have 2 catrgories for freight.... CV and Sprinter.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Also, Landstar while a good paying company, is not ideal for keeping your truck as busy as some of the lower paying carriers out there.

You got that right.......

A lot of the IOO's that run LTL freight with 40ft trailers are ending their business relationships with Landstar as we speak.

For some reason, Landstar has dropped their rates dramatically here in the last 2-3-4 months, even as diesel prices are rising. The questions as to "why" are not being answered at Landstar.

Godwindaniel

Seasoned Expediter
If you are looking for a pickup, call the local offices of the car rental companies. The pickups often don't show up on the websites, but they do have them to rent. We rented a 4x4 pickup for a job last year from Enterprise. They wanted about $1800 a month with unlimited miles, but talking to them on the phone we got them down to $1100 a month.

gatorfan068

Active Expediter
For Ragman and Greg334.....I said I was looking to put a cargo van on with a carrier. Who's hiring for cargo vans?? Not a company to hire a driver. No,expedite companies do not hire drivers....I understand that. Just because you straight drivers dont like vans,you dont have to throw out sarcastic remarks. This forum is to help one another....I thought.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Just because you straight drivers dont like vans,you dont have to throw out sarcastic remarks. This forum is to help one another....I thought.

Hahaha.........

Welcome to the great EO discussion board!:D

Just ignore it.....I read the board for a good 10 years before I decided to join. Have seen it all here. Sarcasm runs rampant. It got under my skin my first few times of actually "interacting" with these guys, and at times wanted to reach into internet LaLa Land here and teach these guys some real Texas Respect, but that has since passed. Now I just go with the flow and let them be the way they are. There is no changing their rude ways, so just shoot 'em the finger as you delve past their post and go on to other members postings that show a little common sense with respect. Ignorance is not all over the board, just at certain places from certain members. :D ;) :D

simdog20

Seasoned Expediter
Well i looking at getting a van just to spite all them van haters.............. I just gotta get a good deal on one first. I hate paying what something is worth. I wait for a deal and alot of companies on hold for putting on new vans anyway. I will be the one with the USMC sticker on it when i hit the road.

simdog20

Seasoned Expediter
well of course chef. U gonna have all of us waven at u and u never know if its really me or just some other dumb jar head.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For Ragman and Greg334.....I said I was looking to put a cargo van on with a carrier. Who's hiring for cargo vans?? Not a company to hire a driver. No,expedite companies do not hire drivers....I understand that. Just because you straight drivers dont like vans,you dont have to throw out sarcastic remarks. This forum is to help one another....I thought.

I was not trying to be sarcastic, and sarcasim was not the intent.

I was just comenting about the term "hire".

Carriers do not hire. They contract or lease your vechile.