Who's got a crystal ball for gas prices?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or at least some insider info on the trend of gas prices against natgas...

My natgas van with 36 gallons capacity is taking up space. I have two italian Faber 9.1 GGE tanks expiring 2024, replacement cost $4000 ea, used who knows.

Everybodys pushing ahead with the natural gas, even here in Ontario the silly gov is investing 250 million of the billions in deficit spending

So keep the tanks? Sell the van complete (its an 03 with 200,000 plus miles, expect it to fetch 1000 or so)

Put them on the sprinter :D? Anybody interested in buying? Average condition for year, full disclosure "its a dodge"

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anybody travelling thru Buffalo / Ft Erie last I checked it was just over 1.00 a gallon at the public station near West Seneca...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dived into an oil prices stock website and the prevailing opinion is - low prices here to stay

Doesn't explain why I've seen 4.50 a gallon here (1.19 a litre, CAD$) our silly liberals might have something to do with it

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greed has something to do with it; we stopped in Coalinga, CA for a p break at a Chevron that was selling regular for $3.39. I told Nancy they could drown themselves in it for that price!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Within the next 15-20 years, electric vehicles alone will reduce the demand for oil by a good 10% (a couple million barrels a day). On top of that, wind and solar power, battery storage technology, “smart” buildings, cheap hydrogen, CNG and LNG will result in lower gas and diesel prices and will cut into the demand for oil by a really, really lot. We already have some cities around the world that have outright banned gas and diesel vehicles within the city. That will spread as EVs and hybrids become more mainstream.

OPEC has promised to cut production for the first few months of 2017, but that won't last beyond March. Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq and Venezuela are cutting output, while Iran uses the opportunity to regain lost market share, and Libya and Nigeria struggling to ramp up production. Any measurable increase in global oil prices gives the US shale oil industry all the incentive it needs to ramp up exports into new world markets, threatening to enter markets previously dominated by the middle east nations. As a result, OPEC members will start pumping link crazy so as to not lose their market share. Trump is the shorter-term wild card, where if he starts any kind of trade protectionism (beyond that of spanking individual companies), it is likely to start trade wars, which will threaten the global recovery, leading to lower oil demand and thus lower oil and fuel prices.

So for the next 10-20 years, I don't see oil going much above $60 a barrel, and as time goes on I see it dropping to half that, or less.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trying to get TX bound after Tuesday, good to know.

At the time I switched, diesel was 4.30 US in Ohio, figure I saved $20,000 a year after my bill went from near 3000 a month to less than 800. Not counting the 3 straight months the pump was on free :cool: