What is the average weight of a straight truck load?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think I will ever make it to a straight because of dot reg's on solo drivers. I do like the idea being in a more comfortable safer rig.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Most of my load run from 3000 to 6000 lb range. As far as running solo, this is my 3rd year of doing it. You learn how to stay legal. I do very well as a solo.

sent from my Galaxy Tab2

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
It can vary greatly. We've hauled a little as 1 fifteen pound cardboard box, up to over 12,000# of automobile parts.

Our average load for last year was 3 pieces at a little over 1900#. About 80% of our loads were refrigerated, and I think tend to weigh less than your average surface type load. (We drive a TVAL DR unit with FedEx CC.) Most of our loads are 2-4 skids, 1000-2500#.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I've done 50 lbs all the way to 9 k I have seen many loads for st8 trucks as high as 20k which I can't do

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So nothing really much over 8000 lbs on a regular basic, how much do some of your trucks weigh? I think 26000 is the max on the smaller straights is what I heard.

Do the smaller straights get away with more when it comes to rules and regulations?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most of my load run from 3000 to 6000 lb range. As far as running solo, this is my 3rd year of doing it. You learn how to stay legal. I do very well as a solo.

sent from my Galaxy Tab2

What is the longest load you have taken? Another words what are you able to get away with and be legal?

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Today's load 20 lbs.....lol....C unit
Last year a kids size shoe box...D unit lol
Who cares about weight just pay me the money....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Our truck weighs in close to 30,000# empty. But, it's a twin screw, and can gross 46,000 anywhere. But not interested in hauling 16,000#. It's not how much it weighs, but how much it pays :cool:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is the longest load you have taken? Another words what are you able to get away with and be legal?

First trying to get away with somthing is un professional and a bad idea running legal in a S/T is easy once you do it a few times and much easier than the violation.
Its a good idea to follow this in a van as well it makes you a professional.

(1) Buy a watch or small clock for your truck do not use the cell phone clock it keeps local time not your base time you will have a violation.

(2) You have a maximum of 14 hrs a day to work driving included.

(3) You have a maximum of 11 hours driving time.

(4) You have to take a 1/2 hour break in your first seven hours of driving to drive 11 hours. WE can all find the break time in our day. bathroom, coffee stop, get out and streach, etc. When you park at most any truck stop and go use the restroom, grab a coffee, and get back to the truck you have spent at least a half hour, the its that easy.

(5) After 11 hours of driving or 14 hours on duty which ever comes first you shut down for 10 hours.

(6) Weekly your off duty for 32 hours after you use up your 60/70 hours for the week.

(7) Keep a copy of your logs on you for 8 days and keep it current.

As for weight it depeends on the G.V.W. or Max weight of the truck, fuel ,freight and driver & passengers. You should do this with a van also because if you get into a serious wreck with a van they will weigh the van and charge you if your overweight.

(1) Know the your trucks max G.V.W.

(2) Weigh the truck unloaded with a full tank of fuel and all your personal gear on the truck.

(3) The difference is how much you can carry legaly. You should weight the truck and even a van if you think its heavy to cover your asz an overweight is on you no mater what you drive, who or what the customer says, or who you work for.

Or to simplify the above for those who dont care about safety or professionlaisim please leave the industry.

Good Luck
Bob Wolf.

Last edited:

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
T270 ... What you will typically haul is less important than what the carrier's require you to be able to haul with a particular vehicle type. The typical requirement for a small straight is a minimum of 5,000 Lbs legal payload capability (amongst other things)

armin88

Expert Expediter
On avg I used to haul 5k but lowest I ever haul was 200 pounds,highest was 15k. Every truck I drove was a tandem axles.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depends on the area and time of year...This time of year it's been a couple of days between load's..
Oh your talking about weights...Never mind

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depends on the area and time of year...This time of year it's been a couple of days between load's..
Oh your talking about weights...Never mind

Some straights are 26000lbs max and others are 33000 I believe can somebody brief on that.... what if you have the smaller straight and the load comes in weighing too much and you have to turn it down, that was the main reason of this post was to see if that happens much based on you guys that are running straight trucks personal experience.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Our truck is registered at 48k, but, like Jimby's can only scale 46k (bridge formula).

We're right around 26k empty, most we've ever pushed is 43k loaded. Thursday's load was 600#. Yesterday was 11,000 (a forklift). Monday is 10,900 (paper).

FWIW, heavier it is, the more we get.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Some straights are 26000lbs max and others are 33000 I believe can somebody brief on that.... what if you have the smaller straight and the load comes in weighing too much and you have to turn it down, that was the main reason of this post was to see if that happens much based on you guys that are running straight trucks personal experience.
If your talking about general freight, dry box, most of the class 8 single axle trucks will struggle to carry a 10k payload legally. The class 7's can carry 11-12k usually. With general expedite freight, the box length and the weight capacity are the two things that will determine the amount of load offers. The more of either you can offer, the more loads you'll get. Your best setup in my opinion is a class 8 with tandems (46k gvwr), and a 24' box (barely fits on a class 8 with a 72" sleeper). You'll be able to carry close 20k and the 24' box is normally the biggest you'll see. My guess is that maybe 10% of your loads would be over 10-12k. I've seen very, very few loads over 20k.... quite a few in the 13-18k range. The good thing about the extra capacity is that there will be times when you can get loaded when others can't. There will be times when your stuck in bfe that the only load available is heavy and requires a 24' box.

I had my straight truck set up at one time to carry up to a 26k lb payload. I think I carried 2 or 3 loads over 20k with it in about 3 years. You'll get into 2 problems with having a 24' box and a heavy payload. 1. You have to negotiate heavily to get paid extra for those heavy loads. Most think you should be happy just to get a load. I prefer to be happy when the load pays more money :). 2. Shippers will see that weight capacity and try to pack 30' of freight into your 24' box. I can tell some stories on that one.

I could definitely tell the difference in load opportunities when my lift axle starting giving problems and I took it off the truck. At that point, I dropped to 10k lb payload. I still stayed busy and profitable, but I'm guessing my load offers dropped by at least 10%.

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
...(4) You have to take a 1/2 hour break in your first seven hours of driving to drive 11 hours. WE can all find the break time in our day. bathroom, coffee stop, get out and streach, etc. When you park at most any truck stop and go use the restroom, grab a coffee, and get back to the truck you have spent at least a half hour, the its that easy.

Good Luck
Bob Wolf.

Unless they implemented this sooner than planned and made it through all the legal hurdles, this is smart but not a DOT requirement.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Bob, you can set your cellphone to stay on one timezone. We live in the Central timezone but leave our phones on Eastern, the timezone we log in.
With the EOBR you don't need a clock to log.