What can I expect as a subcontractor? & questions

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
I've read the FAQs, but I still don't have a good understanding of what to expect as a driver for a fleet owner in a straight truck. There are thousands of posts, a lot of which are really old, and it's hard to put it all together.

Can anyone link me to anyone's firsthand experience/blogs in Expediting?

How do you learn how to secure/tie down loads? Never learned this driving tractor trailer.

Does anyone have an example contract between driver and fleet owner?

How consistent is the freight?

In a 60/40 split, each team member gets 20%. But how much does the carrier take initially from the owner for the total payload? Is the 60/40 based on the figure after the carrier gets their share?

Is HazMat, and passport generally required?

Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more questions. I appreciate it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How do you learn how to secure/tie down loads? Never learned this driving tractor trailer.
Experience. If you can gain some experience by talking to other expediters and/or watching them secure loads, do it. The goal of freight securement is to make it so the freight cannot move in the even of an accident, a hard braking or some other defensive driving maneuver. When in doubt, use another strap. If the freight can move, it will.

How consistent is the freight?
The very nature of emergency freight demands a certain inconsistency. Being in a different place every time you deliver does the same. So consistency depends on your time frame and your location. Freight can be very consistent over a month, or a quarter, but wildly inconsistent over a week. And certain locations (like Chicago) can consistently have expedited freight on a daily basis while other locations (like Belgrade, Montanna) not so much,

In a 60/40 split, each team member gets 20%. But how much does the carrier take initially from the owner for the total payload? Is the 60/40 based on the figure after the carrier gets their share?
The 60/40 is the after the carrier takes their cut. Some carriers will take 30% of the line haul (what the customer pays), some will take 40% or more, and others pay a flat rate per mile to the truck and keep the rest, regardless of what that actual percentage of the line might end up being.

Is HazMat, and passport generally required?
Not generally. A few carriers require one or the other, most would like you to have one or both, but most don't require either. You'll certainly have more load opportunities the more credentials you have, though.

Reactions: intransit

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just feel like I need more information that is compiled more simply than browsing really old questions that mostly concern o/o's. :confused:

As a contractor driving for an owner you should begin thinking like an O/O. Ditch the employee mind set. You may not own the truck but it will be your business. In the future you may decide to buy a truck so thinking like an O/O, keeping track of maintenance expenses, etc. will aid you in future decisions. Also your fleet owner would appreciate the fact that you think and treat their truck as if you owned it.

Google "securing freight in a trailer" and you will find several videos. Grab some popcorn and sit back and enjoy the show.