Volvo cabover, new for 2013, maybe

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I have driven old cabovers and was not impressed, but maybe this could start a new adventure in the states.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Darn you Sky, I really didn't want to buy another truck.
Came out of a great COE .
Bought a Volvo. Safety was a deciding factor. Behind the engine choices.
A class 8 COE makes a great high-end expeditor.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I enjoyed cabovers, lots of room inside. But as they say, if you get into a collision in one, you are the first one on the scene.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I enjoyed cabovers, lots of room inside. But as they say, if you get into a collision in one, you are the first one on the scene.

The driver seems like he will avoid impact since he is sitting much higher then where the impact would come. As long as you didnt get hit by a semi you would be fine. Just a observation. Sharp truck, reminds me of the 80's early 90's trucks i'd see on long summer trips back in the day ;)

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The driver seems like he will avoid impact since he is sitting much higher then where the impact would come. As long as you didnt get hit by a semi you would be fine. Just a observation. Sharp truck, reminds me of the 80's early 90's trucks i'd see on long summer trips back in the day ;)
There are times the engine would get shoved up into the driver's compartment. Legs got crushed. I'm sure technology advanced to reduce that risk, but I'm sure it could still happen.
Sitting higher was part of the cabover appeal. Better visibility. That's why I pump up the seats all the way now; I got accustomed to sitting so high.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are times the engine would get shoved up into the driver's compartment. Legs got crushed. I'm sure technology advanced to reduce that risk, but I'm sure it could still happen.
Sitting higher was part of the cabover appeal. Better visibility. That's why I pump up the seats all the way now; I got accustomed to sitting so high.

I agree there's always a chance, a different circumstance for every type of collision. What kinda truck do you drive now?

Deville

Not a Member
Back in my younger days I owned UD's I really enjoyed those trucks, but they were MURDER on long trips. A few years ago I was helping out a friend of mine who was short a couple of drivers & he had a nice UD 1800 that I drove & after spending a day in that truck I was SHOT. I don't think I could ever get back into a cabover again on a full time basis again.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I hauled a few argosy cab overs out to the port in savannah ga going to Australia and they drove really good. Just never was good at driving from the passenger side.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
One of the biggest problems with a C/Over is the drivers position right over the steer tire. With that is body shock. Your back just keeps taking a beating. Then when go to get out DON'T MISS that 1ST STEP. It hurts like all #%&*.:cool:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Thats on older Coe's. With improved components and air ride cabs a COE can ride as good as many conventionals.
Anyone drive that 4 airbag Ford Coe ?
My brother said it was awesome.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Thats on older Coe's. With improved components and air ride cabs a COE can ride as good as many conventionals.
Anyone drive that 4 airbag Ford Coe ?
My brother said it was awesome.

Yes, I have a little experience with the Ford. There was a little bit of a learning curve with them, as when you went into a curve the cab would lean to the opposite side of the curve....very unnerving at speed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Brother claimed he could put coffee cup on dash and in normal driver you could not spill it .
The curve/ lean was weird.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Stretch, 4-$7,000.
Dry box,new installed$12-$14,000
Used sleepers start about $1,000.
New sleepers can go up to as high as you want....

BigCat

Expert Expediter