Vans vs Sprinter - Rain and Winter Driving

steph66

Expert Expediter
Was wondering which is the best vehicle van vs Sprinter when it comes to bad driving conditions like rain, snow and ice. A relative of mine was mentioning that the Sprinter would be quite top heavy and a friend of mine said when he was driving for Tri State he really had no problems in the bad weather when he was loaded. He had a Ford van. Do you also use special tires in winter. Thanks

Tinman

Expert Expediter
TINMAN

I have owned and driven Dodge, Ford, & Chevy cargo vans in winter conditions, on both interstate and two-lane roads. Basically, they all will hydoplane in rain quite easily when unloaded. Loaded conditon will have a lessening effect on hydroplaning - but I have learned, through experience, to be always alert to hydroplaning when the roadway is wet. My new 2004 Chevy Express one-ton has already caught me sleeping.
I have also operated the all of the above in snow and icing conditions - and been scared half to death several times. I consider myself to be an experienced van driver. However, when you drive a truely non-aerodynamic, somewhat top-heavy, box in snow and icing conditions, where wind is an additional major handling hazard, you MUST expect a dangerous driving experience. Does that slow us down? No...(revenue).
I have been blown sideways (loaded) on I35 between Wichita and Kansas City more than once. And, I have careened completely off I40 about 100 mi East of Amarillo, when the snow weight on the rear of my Ford van accummulated and offset the engine weight, thereby erasing any steering downforce. No control at all. Like slow motion - or like the song about Wolf Creek Pass (like stepping on a plum -but that was about a brake failure...). Oh yeah...good luck out there! (But ALWAYS remain alert!).

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I also like the Tinman have driven all the vans of yesteryear, and still do today. Like the Tinman been blown all over the place and even off the road. Since then I put 600lbs of sand over my wheel wells in the winter months and a good old fashion set of snow tires. I have been designing a weight that will clamp over the rear axle of a van so one can add weight to their van in the bad weather. It will be designed to easily come off if picking up a heavy load or stay on if running light.

As for running a sprinter in the snow, not yet, I haven't.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have driven Ford Vans since the 80's and I found that the 1-tons offer a little more control in bad weather. I purchased a 4-wheel drive Ford E-350 van in 2002 and had no problems last winter driving in W.PA,Ohio,W.Va.,Mi.,Tn. I am very happy with the performance in the snow loaded or unloaded.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been always told that a 4x4 isn't very good when it comes to long high speed miles like expediters do. Is this true or just someone’s opinion? A dealer once told me to by the 2-wheel drive for over the road driving. He said I would get way better performance.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I don't own one, however a freind of mine showed me his weight ticket that read 4600 pounnds and that's with him and a sleeper set up very little fuel.My ford e350 weights 5900 and it's not as tall.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Teacel
I Have not had any problems so far only time will tell [40,000miles].
Mileage is 15 MPG with a 5.4L engine. The van sets 8" higher than normal 1 ton. easy to find in parking lots. I enjoy driving it.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi Ace,
Where did you get a four wheel drive van? How much extra does it cost over a similarly equiped two wheel drive model?

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
15 mpg with a four wheel drive ?...VAN...welp my hats off to the engineer that created that little miracle ?...HMMMMMM...I have to say it would be the one to "have"...Bad weather driving my fear is BLACK ICE! ...scares the H*ll outa me and there aint much thatll do that,other than the thought of somethin happenin to my kids...With radial tires nowadays,( i remember years back tryin to convince people to buy michelins as they were the only ones makin em,boy that "dates" me,LOL )well theyre a huge benefit, im considering a set of radial snow tires tho this year, anybody have any good experience with brands? Hope every ones turkey day was a good one :) many blessings !

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi rabbit, I used to swear by Goodyear tires. A few years back I bought a new van and it had Bridgestone/Firestone tires on it at the time of purchase. I was shocked when it came time to replace them. I got 114K miles and could have gotten another 5 or 6K if I would have pushed it. I replaced the tires with the very same and again I got 122K on those. Needless to say I replaced those again with the same tires. Last year I bought a good old fashion firestone snow tire, with no studs and put 40K on the tires. When I took them off for the summer I gauged the tires and found that I only used 2/11ths, of the tread. They still look like new tires, only the little tips of rubber are worn off. I will be putting them back on this winter. Now a days I swear by Bridgestone/Firestone, The tire sizes are 245/75/16 10ply.

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Hey Teacel...I got firestones original equip. type on the 3500 GMC,2001...tread are two ply poly and two steel,sidewall is only a two ply poly ?!?...max load is 3045,which im thinking equals a 6000 lb per axle load range total 12,000 lbs ...can that be right ? Geeez my memorys failing me and i should know this, bein a old retreader from way back... ( im starting thurs of next week,God willin passin the drug test ,just got back from her this pm )...anyway Boy, only two ply sidewall ! im amazed , i dont know if i trust that but with todays engineering maybe im paranoid or sumthin...size 245 -75 -16...what do ya think?...yeah ill get a set of those snow tires you recommend with my second or third check...maybe santa claus will help... Guess i should upgrade to the 10 ply on the front also tho...never like "mix an nonmatchin" nope wouldnt do to have a two ply sidewall on front and heavier on rear,...big understeer problem ,i can see that comin,no thank you sir !...ya know i just got a thought , oh oh :)...i wonder if a set of those new halide Fog (yellow) lights under the bumper might show up black ice before i git to it?...think ill do that, got like 200 cash left and 300 limit on my card left over, wont be eatin much for a week or two ,LOL...

Got my 4 straps for the etrack this am ,only 17 bux a piece,pleasant surprise,( made in China, bummer) so ill get a set of those "lamps" tommorrow...God knows im itchin to git on the road SO BAD!...wont be able to get the heater just yet,nor the lap top,( best buy had a sale this am for a really nice laptop for only 499 bux,arrrgh ! ) but i got a good, German
Surplus, mummy bag to keep toasty in ! 2 ply sidewalls! Blows my mind !!!,but explains the cadillac quality ride i got ,( maybe im thinking "old school " and the tires i got are just fine for the weight ill carry, > 10,000 gvw) ...what type sidewall ply do you have and how many ? thanks Tony for the reply an wisdom.!;-) ( only 2/11ths wear for that mileage is great, reminds me of That book "Illusions" by Richard Bach, good read 4 sure! )

FairEnough

Expert Expediter
Greetings! Long time reader, first time responder here! I'm a dispatcher for a company here in the midwest. (DUH! Aren't they all!) Anywho, I've been told by many Sprinter drivers that as long as they're loaded, rain and snow aren't a problem...when they're empty, it's a completely different ballgame. Heard stories of donuts in parking lots, and even worse, on highways(yikes!)...high wind seems to also be a bad situation when empty...big sail and no weight...spells disaster in my book. Haven't heard a single bad word about the vans...seem to hold their own; empty or loaded. Freight seems to be moving towards the sprinters though...taller skids have dominated my board as of late. The weight never factors in, as from what I've seen, most vans can haul more weight than Sprinters...Just what I've seen...hope it helps!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Teacel,My E350 came with Goodyear Wrangler HTs and I've stuck with them as I'm getting 200k out of them. I rotate every 40k and rebalance at about 80k. I do run them until there's pretty much nothing left.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Every interesting! Thanks for the info. I may try the Wrangler HTs, follow your instructions about the rotation and balancing.