ultrashifts?

pinnacle1

Seasoned Expediter
Just curious about these transmissions, as far as their reliablity in the real world of non stop trucking. I am no stanger to these automated manuals, having come from the high end automotive repair world and into the fleet world, but just how reliable are these transmissions with a DDS60 or C15 power, and the periphial electronics that support them. Have they left any one stranded on the side of the road full of freight?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In four years, we have driven 7 different straight trucks (Freightliners, a Western Star and a Volvo), all with auto-shift, ultrashift, automated manual or whatever other name you want to call these kind of transmissions. Transmission manufacturers included Eaton (10 speed, three pedals on the floor), Allison (6 speed, two pedals on the floor), and ZF Meritor 12 speed, two pedals on the floor).

None of them have left us stranded, with freight or empty. We had zero transmission failures, zero transmission issues.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
If you're looking to go clutchless, the ultrashift would be the answer in a 9,10,12, or 13 speed. The down side of this transmission is the engine rpms generally have to be at about 800 for the centrifical clutch to ingage. This takes getting used to when docking as the truck may feel like its trying to take off. I personally like having the control that a clutch offers. I'm able to feather it into to dock smoother. Disclaimer: It may just be my reaction time.

Our truck is equipped with the Eaton Fuller 18-speed Smartshift (autoshift). It requires clutching only to start the truck rolling and when you come to a full stop. The rest is all automatic.A really neat feature is that it automatically skip-shifts gears it does not need based on weight of the load and road grades,etc.

We have driven many autoshifts that were very dependable as is our current transmission. I will note here that the all seem slower at shifting compared to a manual and occassionally you have to help them along (manually shift). There is a $15-20 sensor that occassionally goes bad that will cause these trannies not to shift. Quick fix at a knowledgable shop.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Marda and I now have an Ultrashift behind an MBE-4000 in a Freightshaker Columbia CL-112.
We've also owned two Volvo 770 tractors with Autoshift behind Detroit 60 engines.
Further -- between the Mercy Ships and our present truck -- we've driven two other trucks for other owners -- with Autoshift -- in a Century with a Cat C-12 (or so) and an FLD with a Comealong ISM.
None of those trucks has ever left us standing on the side of a road.
The closest was in our second Volvo.
Late one night it almost completely refused to shift.
I nursed it (in overdrive) to an all-night dealership about 75 miles away.
You asked specifically about Ultrashift.
Our present one is our only Ultrashift (as contrasted with Autoshift).
This truck has been in service 17 months and has run 214K miles.
The Ultrashift has never failed us.
We'd gladly buy another one in a flash.
Best wishes,
Doc.
FedEx CC D-6789.