tryed to backhaul friday

termite289

Expert Expediter
was told only into primary service area.
wanted load to misouri, was 4 miles from shipper. told no, also told that i could not backhaul to atlanta. i live in atlanta area. am i alone in being told this? anyone else having issues. im stuck at bordentown Nj petro for the weekend, or till i get a load.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not aware of any geographical restrictions. We have brokered in and out of Atlanta and never had a problem. Might have been a high school dispatcher? If your on the hometime board and they don't have a load going there, I don't see why they wouldn't.
Never heard of this.
Only restrictions are a non paying broker, hazmat, liquor/cigarettes, or a load that has high insurance requirements that the customer won't purchase the additional coverage.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
As the Drivers council Rep for the solo tractors I have received 3 calls since Friday on this issue alone. I contacted Sean Monday to talk about it and he said that the backhaul dept misunderstood the policy change. Panther is not allowing backhauls into areas where they already have too many trucks for the load count. If they keep letting trucks go into those areas they end up with more trucks than they can load out and drivers are left stuck. Sean told me he believes that Wally and Gail misunderstood this to mean backhauls only into the main service area.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I was also told by backhaul that I cannot haul anything that was listed as an antique. tried to book a backhaul and would have made 1200 dollars on a load from New York State to Baton Rouge, La, but I wasn't allowed to haul it because it was an antique fuel pump. :mad:

redhotxpress

Seasoned Expediter
We were on hometime (hadn't been home for over 4 mths) and sitting in Hudson, Wi. We called backhaul and they told us about a load about 70 miles away going within 150 miles of our home. After giving us the shippers phone, and going over the procedure to backhaul, we were told that you have to call each day to see if you are "eligible" to backhaul. We were then told if there weren't enough trucks in the area that we were not "eligible" to be able to backhaul. I explained we were on hometime but apparently even if you are on hometime you cannot backhaul if they are short of trucks to cover their loads. Now, I thought hometime was there to "help the driver get home". This made no sense to me...so you can't take a backhaul that gets you within hours of your house because they may need to send you a load going the opposite direction which you are going to refuse anyway...because you need to get home and are on hometime!! Luckily we got a short load that got us within 5 hrs of home otherwise we would have ended up deadheading on our own.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Checked with Shawn K on this today as I hadn't heard anything on it.
Only changes other than what I listed earlier, are must be out two weeks and on hometime to broker to a undesirable or slow freight area. If your home is in a good freight area, full steam ahead.
Any other time is ok.

harrt5002

Seasoned Expediter
there is no misunderstanding on this policy,its backhaul to where we want you or sit,this is a real stake in the heart as far as why im wasting my time with this company,they will empty move to area where they wont let you backhaul to,stupid,real stupid. of all dumbest things ive ever dealt with.

termite289

Expert Expediter
Panther is not allowing backhauls into areas where they already have too many trucks for the load count. If they keep letting trucks go into those areas they end up with more trucks than they can load out and drivers are left stuck. Sean told me he believes that Wally and Gail misunderstood this to mean backhauls only into the main service area.

how can a driver get stuck with the new board maps, designed to help the driver? we tried to tell them that was a bad idea, and they ignored us.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
how can a driver get stuck with the new board maps, designed to help the driver? we tried to tell them that was a bad idea, and they ignored us.

They are designed to tell where the best shot at getting a load out is but if it is still a 3 or 4 load a day board and you get 15 loads into that area from all over if you are one of the last to get in you could get stuck.

termite289

Expert Expediter
im sorry scuba, i was in a really bad mood when i posted that smart *** comment.
i have been stuck with the new board maps enough times to know not to go to the north east. sit for 3 to 5 days, continuously getting bumped by first outs, and teams. finaly getting mad, and deadheading out.
it was not directed at you personally, and i hope you were not offended by it.

sweetcdngirl

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
US Army
HEY ALL
Personally, I think the new virtual terminals SUCK. Panther needs to go back to the old boards. There is way to many trucks on one board now. I still go where I used to sit with the old boards if i've gotten loads out of there in the past. But sometimes it's hard to tell. We spent alot of time this week running loads back and forth from Kentucky to Detroit this week. Every time we went to Detroit, there would be 25+ trucks there. This is insane. We need more boards for sure. Please give us more options. Also with more trucks on the boards, Panther can offer us reduced rate loads and get away with it because you think if you turn it down, there are 20 trucks here and one of them will take it at 1.10 a mile.
To me this can be construed as STRONG ARM tactics on Panther's part. I believe they break the owners contracts on a regular basis.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Are you hazmat? if so go to Detroit with 25+ trucks sitting there and you will get out fast i never sat more than a day in that area no matter how far i was down the list. A lot of drivers aren't getting their hazmat ok thats good for me. But when you cut yourself out of several loads stop complaining.

sweetcdngirl

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
US Army
Cut myself out for loads? You mean if we dont take a load at 1.10 a mile i should stop complaining? Hmmmmmmmm....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Simple solution. Don't take the 1.10 loads. It would only be a violation of a contract if they FORCED you to take it. We have never been forced to take a reduced rate load.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I was talking about not having a hazmat lic. By not having one you cut yourself out of loads and i never got a reduced rate hazmat load never.