Trucks Vs Cargo Van/Sprinter

Majid

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
What are peoples take on Trucks Vs Vans? Can you still earn as much on vans then Trucks. Also what about courier than OTR. Who would love to be home everyday then sleep on the road every week. Want to hear the pro's and cons and which weighs the most in terms of work life balances and still earn good money.

Thanks

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Courier work usually doesn't pay well at all! I delivered pharma for Prestige in 2011. Made $110 per day; half of it went in the fuel tank.

Majid

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Courier work usually doesn't pay well at all! I delivered pharma for Prestige in 2011. Made $110 per day; half of it went in the fuel tank.

According to some on EO they say if you find the right o/o companies you can make almost the same as trucks but then again you did operate back in 2011 and with the infamous company PRESTIGE. I've heard alot about that company PRESTIGE, I'm not sure if the negatives out weight the positives regarding them.

Are you still doing courier or you jumped onto the trucking bandwagon?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Delivering pharma for ------" puts me on alert faster than anything. I imagine backing up to a warehouse, loading my van with cheap freight, then spending the rest of the day unloading the van on an impossibly long route. Complicate that with the fact that the pharma will have orders and returns that you have to bring back to the warehouse by a set time-- which shortens your overall delivery time- and you get a lot of work for not a lot of money. How about "no". Works for me, I did that for long enough.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Majid, read post #7. MJM nailed it as far as courier work is concerned. It got to the point where my wife showed me on pen and paper, that I'd be money ahead to go back to McDonald's. Instead, I went back to my NYC route for a year, then started expediting.

If you can make it to the Expo in three weeks, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's free, it's fun, and you'll learn a LOT! :D :thumbup:

If I may ask, can you get/do you have a CDL? That's a huge help in this business. With a CDL you can drive larger vehicles.

Majid

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where is the Expo held in and what are the dates? I just moved to the US 6 months ago and still thinking about getting my CDL.

Regarding #6 not #7 which is your post, are you guys saying there is no point in doing courier work because there is no money in it and that the people that do van or sprinter courier are wasting their time?
Majid, read post #7. MJM nailed it as far as courier work is concerned. It got to the point where my wife showed me on pen and paper, that I'd be money ahead to go back to McDonald's. Instead, I went back to my NYC route for a year, then started expediting.

If you can make it to the Expo in three weeks, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's free, it's fun, and you'll learn a LOT! :D :thumbup:

If I may ask, can you get/do you have a CDL? That's a huge help in this business. With a CDL you can drive larger vehicles.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
When you're taking home at least minimum 1000 every month after job expenses.

See. That makes a difference. I think your making good money when your bringing in $10,000 a month after job expenses. Good money is a very poor term because it means a lot of different things to each person.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where is the Expo held in and what are the dates? I just moved to the US 6 months ago and still thinking about getting my CDL.

Regarding #6 not #7 which is your post, are you guys saying there is no point in doing courier work because there is no money in it and that the people that do van or sprinter courier are wasting their time?

The Expo is in Wilmington, Ohio, the 25th & 26th of this month (Halfway between Columbus and Cincinnati). It really is an excellent learning experience. Go to expediteexpo.com for more details.

Courier work is hard work for low pay; it's usually done with cheap vans that suck up money. Expediting has its own challenges; a lot of sitting between runs, you're away from home, etc. It requires a newer vehicle, with payments every month, and insurance is several hundred dollars a month. Vans and Sprinters are much cheaper than big trucks, but because of that, there is excess capacity right now. If you can get a CDL and drive a big truck, it might go better for you.

Majid

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
See. That makes a difference. I think your making good money when your bringing in $10,000 a month after job expenses. Good money is a very poor term because it means a lot of different things to each person.

I would love to know what driving job makes 10,000 a month or even any job out there :D

Majid

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the expo details.

Are you still trucking and hows the market been for you lately?
The Expo is in Wilmington, Ohio, the 25th & 26th of this month (Halfway between Columbus and Cincinnati). It really is an excellent learning experience. Go to expediteexpo.com for more details.

Courier work is hard work for low pay; it's usually done with cheap vans that suck up money. Expediting has its own challenges; a lot of sitting between runs, you're away from home, etc. It requires a newer vehicle, with payments every month, and insurance is several hundred dollars a month. Vans and Sprinters are much cheaper than big trucks, but because of that, there is excess capacity right now. If you can get a CDL and drive a big truck, it might go better for you.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Came home two weeks ago to fix my van's front end. Stayed in service between 6/21 and 6/30; six bids, no runs. Now OOS to take care of personal issues. You WILL have slow times, especially in a van. :(