Trucking Industry sets record, 700 Billion Dollar Year.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Companies are making record profits and many are or have cut rates to their operators. There are numerous industry reports that confirm that. Then they wonder why the quality of there drivers is slipping or they just can't find any.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Your friends may not be moving right now because things have slowed down again. Last year though, which is what the report is talking about was a great year for making money. This year is starting to get better as we head into better seasons.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I made good money on solid rates last year but have seen declines ever since 2012. I didn't know wth I was doing in 2011 but suspect it was a blockbuster year in spot for anyone who could play the game well. This year the volume and rates are way down. These things come and go in cycles. Many factors contribute to that. It will come back but when is anyone's guess. I suspect the pain might go on for a while. If you're staying busy on good contract freight be grateful for what you have. I think most of the excess has been sucked up by contract after a few years of customers getting tired of the wild upswings. But it will be back just have to hang in there...

Last edited:
Reactions: davekc

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. . .Big companies keeping all the money and leaving out the workers? Hmmm.
This may be off topic a tad, but this holds true across the entire economy, especially manufacturing. Remember this next time we hear about contract talks at major companies.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Keep the larger trend in mind of increasing income inequality. As more and more people slip from the middle class into the lower class, the supply of available people to drive trucks grows.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
As inequality grows, the people buying things to keep moving the economy decreases...rich people only get so many.meals or haircuts, or so many books to read and everything else...the motor that moves the economy is middle class