Truck air brakes repair toledo

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Can anyone recommend a service shop that really knows air brake systems in toledo , not just a shoe and drum replacer . I have a bad calve somewhere and it's taking a lot more foot pedal pressure than is needed something's not right truck has new shoes drums and slack adjusters and it's still taking more than normal pressure to get it stopped !

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Are the slacks going over 90 degrees with brakes applied? Are all axles underperforming, or is one better than the other?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Slacks are new part of the last educational learning process I had to pay for ! I'm suspecting the Freda's valve or something similar. As you need to really bear down to stop an the pads are glazing over had them sanded twice in 20k miles

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Treadle valve?
What symptoms are you experiencing with glazed parts?
Yes treadle valve Freda was auto corrects amusing name
The glazed over pads on the shoes must be a result of the hard braking is all I can think of
Braking feels like there is grease on the shoes but it's always dry when looked at.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
had a problem 20 yrs ago like this changed the unit in dash and on the fire wall stopped the problem jus sayin.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Yes treadle valve Freda was auto corrects amusing name
The glazed over pads on the shoes must be a result of the hard braking is all I can think of
Braking feels like there is grease on the shoes but it's always dry when looked at.
Can you tell if one axle is braking more than the other? I'm trying to decipher if it's a systemwide problem or an issue at one end.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Also, is it using excessive air, is slack adjuster stroke excessive, Is the system air pressure normal?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
All normal, and it felt that way when I bought it, dealer said it was fine after they " fixed it"