Trees with Purple Buds

are12

Expert Expediter
Hi everyone,

I am sure someone on here can help me with this:

We just came through TN yesterday. I just love the trees with the purple buds but have no clue on what they are called. They are all along the highway. If I am not mistaken, they even grow in the Carolina's. I think they are beautiful and would love to get a few for my yard.

Can someone tell me what they are called?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I just drove through Tennessee today, lol, and it is indeed, gorgeous! I think the prettiest trees are: flowering dogwood, redbud, crabapple, and ornamental cherry. Do a bit of research before choosing one, so you get the size and shape you want, as well as one that grows well in your climate & soil type.
I love the advice: "Bloom where you're planted!", but the durn plants can't read, so they don't always behave like you expect...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You should see the pear trees in bloom around Louisville right now. There's a Walmart/Kroger on 31W about 1/2 mile north of 841 with truck friendly parking out near the banks lining the road. Beautiful trees to look at and across the street is Mark's bbq. The 1/2 chicken dinner with the red sauce on it is delicious.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Could be alot of different trees but my peach trees are blooming purple quite beautifully right now too.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
When I was growing up, my family had a Red Bud tree. In the spring, they have small purple/violet buds. Not sure why they dont call it a Purple Bud tree. :D

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I think he is correct they are Red Bud trees. We had some in the yard when I was a kid. Problem is they don't last very long as a tree.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That's funny! I'm driving thru TN today and it smelled like air freshener! Nice to know it's natural :)

A lot better than Atlanta!!! 15 miles from that hole and all I smell is sewage! x(

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

are12

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your help!!

After going on the internet and checking out the RedBud tree, I think that is the one I am talking about. So when I go to the Nursery to get my Lilac bush, I will have to see if they carry the RedBud too. If not, I will have to get it off the internet.

I have Dogwood trees on the upper part of my property and a Walnut tree in my front yard but I need more color!! I like color.:) :)

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

Sounds like red bud.If it is you can't transplant them in the spring.You'll have to wait till late summer or early fall.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Those are Red Buds. The white ones are Dogwoods. Knoxville is going to have it's Dogwood festible next week.

Those trees are what made my wife and I move down here.

Road Hooligan

are12

Expert Expediter
Thanks Bryan for the info on the transplanting. I guess I will have to wait until Labor Day.

Our Dogwood festival isn't until the 1st week of May - which I am usually not home for. :-(

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
My first house in North Carolina had one of those in the front yard I promised myself I would and have not it was even pretty all thru the fall and very HARDY.

But my favoite in the SPRING IS A DOG WOOD.

In North Carolina, we have suffered a HEART BREAKING SET BACK.....

Easter Morning, 20F at 8 AM everything not super strong lost.... As for the damage in California, they got off lucky compared to North and South Carolina.

If you like Peaches, your gona pay for FORIEGN ONES... THERE WILL BE NO PEACH CROP OUT OF NORTH OR SOUTH CAROLINA, NOR WILL THERE BE ANY WALNUTS THIS YEAR. WE LOST IT ALL last week. ALL IS LOST, if it grows on a Tree in either of these states there will BE NONE.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Could also be Lilac, We have a couple of Lilac bushes in our yard, look great when they bloom but only last a couple of weeks. smell great too. But in michigan they haven't started blooming yet.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
When i was a kid ,we had several lilac bushes around the yard. Some were purple, and others were white,(are the white one's lillac's?), but man, they smelled so good!!!

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Wont be long Fr8 Shaker. I have a couple of big lilac bushes (violet/purple) in my back yard. They bloomed a few days ago, here in Indiana. :)

are12

Expert Expediter
It's not the Lilac bush, my Mom has one in her yard.

You are right, the smell of a lilac is great. When they are in bloom, I love to get a bunch and it makes my whole house smell like lilac. It's too bad they did not stay in bloom longer!

I am not sure if the white ones are considered lilacs or not. We need to hear from Cheri on this one! lol

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
I do believe the purple bud in the south are either Wisteria or Crepe Myrtles...but the Myrtles are a smaller variety of tree.

heres a branch from the Wisteria, notice it hangs...the Lilac grows up

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
They are lilacs, no matter what color the blossoms. Several years ago, I mail ordered a new variety of lilac, called "Sensation". Every tiny floret was deep purple, edged in crisp white - beautiful, and it smelled lovely, too! Plant breeders keep coming up with cool new stuff like that, so gardeners are never 'done' with the gardens. I was not one to rearrange the furniture in the house, but I sure liked to rearrange the gardens, lol. ;)