transtewart

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I ran a straight truck under them about 3 years ago. They kept me busy, but they tend to get you to hauling freight at discount rates. You end up working alot harder than you have to.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
They're paying cargo vans 40-70 cents/mile. That's a bit lower than I can afford to run at. I have a hunch there'd be a lot of 40 centers in there.

The flip side is the guy seems pretty honest. They pay after each run rather than once a week if ya get your paperwork in. They don't have qual com & some of the other extra fees that drivers have to pay.

I looked into signing on w/ em too. Except for the payscale, I have a pretty good impression of the company. I just needed to make a bit more than they were paying, so I passed. I at least felt I dealt w/ someone honest.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Turn around and run run fast dont even think about it.I talked to a driver 2 weeks ago in oak grove,mo said the load he took out there was .90 cpm with fuel.I was there for 2 yrs.They get paid PC miler from nlm and then they rerun it on rand mcnally house hold goods and it shaves about 5 to 10 % off your miles.This is in there contract so nothing you can do.I dont think its fair to get paid pc miler then rerun and shave it and pocket it.Plus there is alot of other things.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
If this is true, then so much for the honesty. That's the kind of thing that would hack me off. My biggest burn was when a recruiter (not Transtewart) told me that the reason their company was lower paying was because they paid the first $40 every night for a hotel. Sounded good to me. So I signed on. I get to orientation & they don't have a clue as to what I was talking about. But now I'm stuck. Yes, I can turn away, but there's something in ya that's now to far along in the signing process so ya stay on. I liked the company. For awhile liked the runs. But that lie was often in the back of my mind while running w/ em.

Anyway, live & learn. That's in part why this board is so valuable. It speeds up the learning curve.

moose

Veteran Expediter
It is none of your business what the carrier is getting payed for .
if you can make money running a load , take it ,
if not , don't.
but don't drive around fealing screwed , if you got a good load .

Last edited:

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
You have every right to know what your carrier is getting paid for a load.When we are driving truck and signing on with a company you are basically partners in this.They should do there best and you do yours.Its not right knowing they are getting paid more then shaving there cut off and then you get the left overs.I can walk into Tri-state any day of the week and ask to see what they where paid for a load and what my percentage was and its not a problem its called a true open door policy.This keeps everyone happy and fair.Do you want to work harder and longer to make the same amount of money as the guy next to you?If you say yes your a fool.No one does its all about work less,make more and spend less in this business.I went from averaging less then a $1.00 a mile at transtewart 2 years ago to averaging well over $1.55 per mile when i changed companies.So if you all like hauling that cheap freight go right ahead.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I thought it was the law that the carrier has to disclose the amount they charge a customer - any customer.

An open door policy is when you can go to the CEO and b*tch about a problem, anything less is not an open door policy.

guido4475

Not a Member
I thought it was the law that the carrier has to disclose the amount they charge a customer - any customer.

An open door policy is when you can go to the CEO and b*tch about a problem, anything less is not an open door policy.

Yes,Greg, youre right.It is law that the carrier has to show you what they charge the customer.This law is in the Truth In Leasing Regulations.Only one company did this while I was leased to them, at the time of load offering, and that was Landstar.

DougTravels

Not a Member
I was with Transtewart about 3 months, and went back to Express Way.

They do rerun mileage , It is why I left.

I have a post from a few months back with actual numbers I will try to find it.

DougTravels

Not a Member
Ok here it is:

As far as Transstewarts paid miles, here is what streets and trips says as a comparison. 1st is what they paid me for loaded miles Q is quickest S is shortest

JacksonMi-Maxton NC-689 --------Q732 S730.3
Lincolntown NC-Dearborn MI-596--Q624 S616.5-note I think it was Lincolnton, not 100% sure without digging through paperwork
Detroit MI-Fenton MO-537--Q571.3-S542.3
Spring Lake MI--Winston Salem NC-681--Q720.3-S719.8
Charlotte NC-Laredo TX-1335---Q1401.2--S1347.5
Brownsville TX-Avon Lake OH-1608--Q1733.9---S1648.7 This one really had me scratching my head
Auburn Hills MI-Plainfield IN-314--Q343.2--S319.4
Indianapolis In-Trenton NJ-665--Q664-662.5- I remember being shocked it is a straight line on map though
BristolCt-Hamtramck MI-645--Q688.8--S655.4
Sterling heights Mi-Kansas City KS-756--Q808.5--S776.7

They did a pretty good job at keeping me moving at first though, I was running for 20-30cts less per mile and not deadheading as much. This was last fall when fuel was high and their surcharges and cpm and loaded mile figuring were all less than I had been used to. I gave it about 4 months and couldn't take it any longer. If they are still doing this, I believe it is not in their long term best interest, it makes OO's wonder about honesty. This is especially true when they have done the same loads before and been paid more miles.