Transmission fluid to clean diesel injectors?

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Was wondering if anybody could confirm or deny something I was told one day by another trucker. I was in a truckstop one time, changing out a fuel filter. I thought I had some bad fuel; while I was doing it, another gentleman approached me and asked if I was having problems. I explained the truck was bogging down a little on the big hills, and he told me to dump a quart of transmission fluid in the fuel filter, instead of diesel, before I put it back on. Does this sound right? He said it would clean out the injectors. I thought maybe he meant to add it to the the fuel tanks, but he actually said to put it right in the fuel filters. I may be crazy, but it does not seem that transmission fluid would burn that good. Has anybody ever heard of doing this before? If so, is it just regular automotive automatic transmission fluid? Thanks.

Scott

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
You would be better off with a proven product like Lucas.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

Owner/Operator Big 'B'
Experienced
10 years auto transport
2 years local/distance expedite
Laurel, MD (Washington DC area)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have heard of this many times. From what I know the purpose is to allow the fuel system to prime faster when replacing the filters, not clean the injectors. Basically, I think its just an old trucker snake oil myth that does absolutely nothing. Not harmful, but not helpful either.
-Weave-

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
The trick he did is an old school one. In the old days we would put our old used oil in the fuel tanks. With the new injectors I would not put trans fluid or oil in your fuel system. Stick to proven products like Howes or Lucas.

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Hey Glen,

What was purpose of putting the old oil in the tanks? Would that be so you could burn it with the fuel, and not have to dispose of it? Thanks for the input guys; The guy telling me was very certain that this was the thing to do, but that little voice in the back of my head was saying to just put on a new filter and add some Howes conditioner.

Scott