ticketed 4 a hit n run not knowing was in an accident,

tigerlily3

Seasoned Expediter
I was 3 hrs into my day. Weather was heavy with thunderstorms. I was heading N I-65 in TN. Just passed mm 14 coming down a hill. I was in the fast lane following a car that abruptly moves to its right leaving me to deadhead right into another car that had hydroplaned into a bridge. The car was blocking the entire fast lane. Fortunately, I stopped my rig 300 ft prior to hitting the car.(My team partner gets tossed out of the bunk while hearing me yell ohhh @#%&*). Once I got my rig stop I immediately put on my 4 ways, set all breaks & put the truck in neutral.

I'm now in the fast lane blocking on coming traffic at the bottom of a hill hoping to GOD that I don't get hit from behind causing me to be pushed into the two people trying to get out of he car the hydoplaned.

Meanwhile, my team partner gets out of our trk to see if the people in the crashed car need an ambulance. I'm watching my mirrors to watch traffic in case I look like I'm going to be hit from behind, I could warn them to get out of the way. I never leave the drivers seat the entire time. Other people stop to help control traffic.

So far so good. No one is hurt, traffic is under control, and I'm still on time to pu my load. I sit blocking traffic for 10-15 mins. I decided I could leave I wasn't involved and traffic died down. Police have not shown up yet. My team driver gets back in our trk. He tells me we can go he talked to the two guts directing traffic that they would watch traffic while I go around the car that crashed into the bridge.

Here's the problem: Two guys wave me out, I check my mirrors no one coming off the hill, no cars near my truck. My partner tells me all clear. Good to go. I proceed to move my trk into the rght lane to get around the crash scene. I get half way into the rght lane and my trk stalls ( its automatic). OMG all I can think of is to get This trk moved before anyone hits me. I have to completely stop the trk, put it into neutral, put it back in drive to get it to go. Guys directing traffic tell me to go go go so I did.(note: my trlr is blocking my rght side mirrors). I proceed to gear up and leave the scene. I'm heading down the road look back and traffic is heavy again. I'm cleared so I head down the road.

Twenty miles later I come up to an inspection station. Pull in and get told I was in a fender tender. I said no sir I was protecting a couple that crashed I to a bridge but did not hit anyone. Sat there for 15 mins. Left when the traffic was under control. Officer says "pull ovr and we'll check your equipment if all checks out ok I'll let u be on your way."

Well unannounced to me or my partner some guy in a 4 wheeler had ran into my trlr. I had no idea!!! I asked the officer why didn't anyone including the Driver that hit me tell me I was hit. Officer said he did, he smacked the end of the trlr with his hand. Why didnt anyone let me know by radio. Officer says you were I'd at the scene by a witness. Of course I was i was sitting there for 15 mins blocking others from hitting an crash scene.

Bottom line... I was ticketed for a hit and run. There was no pics taken, I wasn't allowed to submit a report telling my side of the story. A small amount of red paint that was the same color of the car matched (?) On my trlr. After I went thru a level 1 inspection with no violations I was ticketed. Officer just told me I better show up to court to get one of the charges drop or I would lose my license if I pay the tickets thru the mail. My company received the accident report submitted by the other guy. They told me to get a lawyer and fight the charges. I still haven't seen this report.

My company told me to obtain TVC Marketing Legal Services. So my question to all of you, Do I fight this on my own or buy into this service? Thank you!!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
So much for being a good samaritan. Are you an Ooida member? Contact them if you are

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry about your problems.

I don't know about the service you are talking about but I have been steadfast on getting a lawyer before you need one.

OOIDA would be the best group to ask.

I don't know why people do this, not trying to criticize you or the others but I am clear with the drivers I deal with - DO NOT STOP on the road for any reason, period. Nothing in the world is worth you getting into another accident or having killed someone by being stopped in a traffic lane.

tigerlily3

Seasoned Expediter
I agree what you said about stopping. Unfortunately if I didn't stop (not by choice)! I would have crashed into the car that was blocking the fast lane. I had no way to go around. Traffic was heavy at the time. I had a semi stopped behind me and a 4 whlr behind him. All of us had to stop to avoid each other. If I hadnt stopped the way I did those two people in the car that hydoplaned would be dead.

eggd1ver

Seasoned Expediter
Yes get the service me and my wife have it and it will help you. Do not pay the ticket until you talk to them. There are alot of benefit with this service and not alot of money for it.

RICH & IDA
PANTHER DRIVERS
06/08/09

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It wasn't the stopping to avoid hitting them that I'm talking about, but the stopping, setting the brakes and so on. If there was another vehicle behind you, all the more reason to move the truck to a safe location and then check on people.

It's good to hear feedback of the service, I hope you don't go through too much hassle and wish you luck.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
........Well unannounced to me or my partner some guy in a 4 wheeler had ran into my trlr. I had no idea!!! I asked the officer why didn't anyone including the Driver that hit me tell me I was hit........
Bottom line... I was ticketed for a hit and run.

Is that normal for it to become a 'hit and run' when you were the one that was hit? It the 4wheeler reporting that he hit you, or that you hit him?
You can become a member of OOIDA at any time, and then you can ask them for advice on your options as to how best to deal with this.
That really sucks.
Aren't you supposed to remain at the scene until officers arrive, when you come upon an accident?
No offence but how does a trailer get bumped and you not feel it?
Just wondering..........

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Officer said he did, he smacked the end of the trlr with his hand.

....and you were supposed to hear it in the cab of the tractor? get a lawyer. call ooida. you are getting off this one. slapping a trailer is not legal notice.

tigerlily3

Seasoned Expediter
What a lesson to be learning. I will be signing up with OOIDA! Everyone that has replied I really appreciate your views/ opinions. The 4 wheeler hit me! The guy told the reporting officer that he bumped into my trlr causing his window to shatter. He had slowed down but did not avoid tapping into my ICC bar. So he clips my trlr just enough to cause damage to his vehicle. I was not told to stop, no one waved at me in anyway hysterical or otherwise to stop. Since I left the area and failed to report to authorities I was charged.

As for the 4 whlr that hydro plained into the bridge, he was the only one involved. I just had to wait for others to clear and go around him before I could move. Meanwhile I had two people in front of me trying to get out of their car in shock. Of course my team partner and I wanted to make sure they were ok. That is why I set my breaks. Traffic was backed up & I wasn't going anywhere fast. This all went down in 15 mins. From the time I was forced to stop till I was able to safely get out of the way. Unfortunately I now have to plead my case in court with no help. That is why I'm here asking for advice. Both the officer at the crash scene and the officer who did a level one inspection on me told me to go to court. They could not comment on the situation, but hinted that they knew I was telling them the truth.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Inspection officer also a police officer in TN...? Hit and run is a serious offense...

Is there a police report included from the guy that hit you?

If he hit you from behind and you had control of the lane...He too is at fault for following too close...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If he hit you from behind and you had control of the lane...He too is at fault for following too close...

But he didn't have control of the lane, he was in the middle of a lane change.

Think of it this way.

You are driving in the left lane, doing the sprinter thing at the speed limit and you are at the end of a long line of cars. Up ahead is a truck who is 4 inches from a car who is doing under the speed limit. Because he is such a great truck driver, he is waiting for a way to get out from behind the slowpoke 4wheeler. As you approach the truck, he sees an opperunity, turns on his turn signal and whips into your lane. You don't have time to react and hit him. Not counting the fact that you should be prepared for his stupidity, you were caught off guard and actually did hit him.

Do you deserve a ticket?

Or does he?

In a number of places, the cop will give him a ticket and it should be on his record.

In this case, the problem with a lane change is the driver was taking directions from someone who may be clueless. One reason why I refuse to help people into parking spots is because I don't want them mad at me if they hit something. A LEO may have taken a different approach to directing traffic, he may have been on the right side of the truck or behind the truck stopping traffic but regardless it happened.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have possession of the lane...so I have the right of way...
the truck is guilty...

I was assuming by lack of any real damage..the truck and car both pulled to the right at nearly same time, the car was trying to beat the truck and didn't quite make it and swipe his drivers side on the trailer...

moose

Veteran Expediter
...? Hit and run is a serious offense...

I am amassed that so far no one bought up the significant Effect such an offense can do to the driver records .

with CSA2010 ,if an Hit&Run ticket have being written ,it WILL go on the driver record ,regardless of court rules .

when shopping for a lawyer ,my advice will be to get one that understand CSA2010 and know what it takes to keep your records clean ,if at all possible .
not spending the money to do so ,might unable you from making a living as a commercial driver down the road .

thanks you for sheering your experience ,and please let us know how it turns out .

Good Luck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am amassed that so far no one bought up the significant Effect such an offense can do to the driver records .

with CSA2010 ,if an Hit&Run ticket have being written ,it WILL go on the driver record ,regardless of court rules .

when shopping for a lawyer ,my advice will be to get one that understand CSA2010 and know what it takes to keep your records clean ,if at all possible .
not spending the money to do so ,might unable you from making a living as a commercial driver down the road .

thanks you for sheering your experience ,and please let us know how it turns out .

Good Luck.

A hit and run conviction must be near the top of most serious...the point value could put you on a bicycle...you have to fight this no matter...it could be career ender...