the cargo van expediter

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
The van looks nice, though. Not a lot of insulation that I can see. You're gonna pay seriously huge for that oversight. Maybe not so much the cargo area, but at least hit the ceiling in the sleeper area with some Reflectix or something. You're gonna be living in there, so it should be insulated like you live in it. Otherwise it's just an iron box sitting in the sun atop black asphalt. I would have thought something like that would be second nature to someone from Florida. :D[/QUOTE]
yep i know, ran out of time,i do plan to do the insulating very soon :)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
'

Personally, a truly enjoy what I do, despite my diatribes on the particulars. I like delivering someone's important freight, safely, legally and on time, and in the same shape that I accepted it. I like the sightseeing, being able to see things most people never get a chance to see. I like seeing things anew that locals dismiss and take for granted, like the Grand Canyon, where there are people who have lived their whole lives in Flagstaff who have never even been to the Grand Canyon. (Then again, I live 2 hours from Mammoth Cave and I've never been there, either.) I like seeing a meteor shower in the night Montana sky. I like seeing bald eagles in Wyoming. I like seeing pheasants along the side of the road in the Dakotas and playing tag with tarantulas in the J parking lot in Laredo.

I think I'm getting a little verklempt...

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
well, fedex told me as long as i contact them 1st and there is no delay on their load, and i have room, i could double up, however, after reading this im getting concerned!! i am supposed to leave here in Florida in an hour to drive to Ohio for orientation, im starting to wonder if its worth it!!! I have just spent $12000 on a van and another $1500 fitting it out. There is no way i will put up with sitting for more than 24 hours in a given week, id rather stay down here and find some other use for the van............

I hope this is being of use to the O/P

Not sit more than 24 hours in a week ? Don't waste a trip to Ohio . It's not unusual for cargo vans to sit 2 or 3 days to wait for a load .
You don't understand the way expediting works . The carriers must have vans available for immediate pickup at the shipper . To have vans always available they must have vans always sitting waiting for a load . Think about that .
Then think about why they are contracting vans . It's not because of increased business . It's because another van owner called it quits .
If you have Class A experience you should have bought a tractor . There is not a surplus of Class E O/O's like there is B units .

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You will sit more than 24 hours at times no matter what you drive. You can not compare expediting to OTR as far as expectations of miles, time etc.. If you aren't a voracious reader or involved with some other hobby you can enjoy away from home you need to become so right away.

Graybeard01

Seasoned Expediter
Hey guy's, great information. Thank you so much for your expert opinion.

I am wondering though, about the tax exemptions that you get for most of your expenses due to running your own business. How does that effect your bottom line net income at the end of the year? I would think that it would be a big asset.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Hey guy's, great information. Thank you so much for your expert opinion.

I am wondering though, about the tax exemptions that you get for most of your expenses due to running your own business. How does that effect your bottom line net income at the end of the year? I would think that it would be a big asset.
You would be talking about exemptions from a small number to start with.

eb

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If you have a good accountant that is "creative" chances are you won't pay any income taxes and if you are married, depending on hpw you have your business(es) setup, theres a good chance you can get money back....:D

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The first thing a company tractor driver changing to van expediting needs to do is forget everything they think they know about trucking. I did not come from trucking but even with delivery experience in the distant past I had a rough time my first couple months. I learned to adapt, listened to others and began enjoying it. There is nothing wrong starting at the fed, nothing says you have to stay there. It will get you experience you meet others to talk to and see how they are doing things. A few of what I view as the best expediting companies will not hire you without prior exp. experience. Spend a few months there drink in the knowledge and you might find something you really like.

If you really feel you need to set less check with local courier/delivery companies. You can be home every night make about the same money and do not need to leave home if they have nothing for you.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually dude I would head up there and try it out. Don't worry about what they say, take the knowledge of what everything is said and learn.

Oh and I didn't send you a PM. :eek:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You may have more room in a semi but you are confined to the truck and the truckstop to a very large degree. With the van you are "confined" to the museum, library, park, zoo, theater, diner and anywhere else you can think of. You are not stuck sitting in the van waiting for the next load. You set it up with the company to be off satellite and on cellular and any decent company will have that option and call your cell phone.

Yes, you can make a little more as a company driver but that's miles over money. You'll run 2.5-3k miles a week, make 10-20% more money, and have been behind the wheel 100% more time/miles.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, Fedex has that option. I use it all the time so I don't have to remember to switch back and forth as I get in and out of the van.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
You may have more room in a semi but you are confined to the truck and the truckstop to a very large degree. With the van you are "confined" to the museum, library, park, zoo, theater, diner and anywhere else you can think of. You are not stuck sitting in the van waiting for the next load. You set it up with the company to be off satellite and on cellular and any decent company will have that option and call your cell phone.

But doesn't Fedex and Panther have that restriction in play that starts a Van Drivers "Hours" the minute the van is moved for any reason??? Let's say you get a good 8 hours sleep at Wally World. Wake up all rested, start your van and run to the closest truckstop for a shower. From what I understand, your "16 hour clock" starts the minute you leave wally world, and not when you get dispatched for a run that comes up. So now lets say you are well rested and decide to go to that "Museum". Museum is 12 miles away, you take that drive and it suddenly puts you in 6th place in line instead of 3rd because your traveling time to that museum is logged there on Fedex's computer.

I've heard of too many stories HERE of where drivers hours and places in line were cut because they decided to go 2 blocks to grab a Jack-in-the-Crack hamburger instead of eating the crackers and olives they had in the truck.

So...to me IT DOES sound like that YES, you are stuck to sitting on your van waiting for that next load unless you put yourself OOS, go do your quick sightseeing, and then putting yourself back in service and possibly last place in line when you started your day 2nd or 3rd in line.

This could also be a deciding factor on WHO one may want to run for, know what I mean. Too many variables in play with both the big named companies(FED-Panther) that negatively effect a drivers income while they are under contract with them.

Personally, if I ever give CV Expediting a try, the Fed and Panther would my last 2 choices to apply at.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Just thought of it another way.........

You might not be stuck "IN" your van waiting for that next load at Fedex and Panther, but that Van needs to be "Stuck" in one place to keep your place in line and to keep the 16 hour clock from starting. If you go do some shopping or sightseeing, then it better by public transportation. If you do it in your CV, you are still on the "Clock" no matter what thus possibly negatively effecting your next load offer no matter how short or long it may be. Right.........

Was that easier said???

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I don't know the policy for the Fed or Panther as to how they work their contractors time...but I would drive for a carrier that told me where i had to park and wait or that my time wasn't mine when i didn't have freight in my van...

I pickup a load and deliver it, if that means driving 1600 miles in whatever time it takes, that what I do.. I won't ever "swap" a load because of some carrier imposed mileage or driving time limit...I drop and go where i want...If i want to go to dinner down the street or 80 miles away, I am goin and i don't worry about any "clock" starting...

The day that those things become the way that any carrier I am with starts to do business, thats the day I move on...

So that leaves Fed Ex, Panther and E-1 off my list...those are the ones I know of...

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
I don't know the policy for the Fed or Panther as to how they work their contractors time...but I would (not?) drive for a carrier that told me where i had to park and wait or that my time wasn't mine when i didn't have freight in my van...

I pickup a load and deliver it, if that means driving 1600 miles in whatever time it takes, that what I do.. I won't ever "swap" a load because of some carrier imposed mileage or driving time limit...I drop and go where i want...If i want to go to dinner down the street or 80 miles away, I am goin and i don't worry about any "clock" starting...

The day that those things become the way that any carrier I am with starts to do business, thats the day I move on...

So that leaves Fed Ex, Panther and E-1 off my list...those are the ones I know of...

Well said, that is the kind of company i want to work with, tell me when and where to pick it up and when and where to deliver it to, i will make it happen legally, promptly and safely. Its not rocket science!!