That oil boom, Tx and Dakota

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I am in South Texas alot, and what I see now is what I first saw down there 13 years ago.... lots of 1-ton dually pickups pulling a trailer with what appears to be oilfield related parts.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I am in South Texas alot, and what I see now is what I first saw down there 13 years ago.... lots of 1-ton dually pickups pulling a trailer with what appears to be oilfield related parts.

So, another form of expediting opportunity?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
our other brothers and sisters....the hot shot crowd...it IS expediting...more so in the extreme...we'd never be able to take stuff in our Tonka trucks where they take their loads sometimes...and the weather they work in and the strapping and stuff.....
I am quite surprised no one has ever put on a curtain side straight truck...they could run both dry and flatbed loads...

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
our other brothers and sisters....the hot shot crowd...it IS expediting...more so in the extreme...we'd never be able to take stuff in our Tonka trucks where they take their loads sometimes...and the weather they work in and the strapping and stuff.....
I am quite surprised no one has ever put on a curtain side straight truck...they could run both dry and flatbed loads...

Could we call it(oilfield hotshots) a niche within a niche? More specialized than general expediting.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Could we call it(oilfield hotshots) a niche within a niche? More specialized than general expediting.
Actually they've been calling it that for 20 years now probably. If memory serves correctly, DaveKC may have some experience from back in the day.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
As for whether or not we get any of that freight, we definitely get some of it. Ive ran oilfield loads in my straight truck and at least one in the van that I can remember. For the most part though, it boils down to location. Most expediters dont see much of it because the traditional expedite lanes don't coincide so much with the oilfield equipment lanes. When you do find yourself in areas where there happens to be a few oilfield loads that particular day, you run a chance of getting one. I'll say that they usually pay well.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got 1 out of Williston ND paid real well..I live 230 miles from the oil fields up there..just a small well head pump of some sort...

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Sounds good so far, maybe some one should hang a shingle out so to speak. I don't know anything about oil-well stuff, but I was just reading some data on oil fields and thought I would see if anyone in here had a grip on delivering their stuff. Always room for one more good man.......I'm getting bored at home sort of, been 2 years now, got some gold dust buried in the back yard, may need a diesel rig or some sorts.lol

moose

Veteran Expediter
My carrier in Minnesota is a Quick-Draw dealer, and they do build a few each year. very few. and this is NOT general freight, but only for specific hauling. most time the same company will order 2 or 3 @ a time. sometimes i see st-trucks comes for repairs. they also did some smaller hot-shot trailers, the ones that are been pulled by PU trucks. again, this is for specific hauling and not to improve load opportunity. i don't think it is a good idea for hot-shot. unless you already know what it is you are going to haul. most loads that require QD {i.e side or top loads} are WAY too heavy for a St.Truck.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
My previous (original) carrier had one leased on ... but they did a lot of steel hauling for a fabricator that did custom plasma cutting ...

Last edited: