Tesla Power wall in Sprinter

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
These are not widely available yet, but has anyone else considered a Tesla power wall instead of a generator?

7 KWH model weighs 220 lbs so could be roof mounted, and give noiseless ac power say to a 500 w 5000 btu standard air conditioner for up to 12 hours...cost supposedly $3000 competitive with a high end onan genset...

Tesla Powerwall: What you need to know - TechRepublic

As hybrids get into the van world in the future we'll probably be able to tap in when parked but in the meantime....

Blue sky thoughts as I sat on my porch in perfect 90 degree summer weather

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's every canadians dream to unplug. Our electric rates are rising at over 15% a year, when I got home I could plug the house into my van :) not van into the house

Reactions: blackpup

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Details, details...No idea how long it would take on a 150 watt alternator to charge that back up

Turtle will eventually tell me why it won't work :D

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Also a 5000btu actually out here is not good. You need at least 13500. Heck a 15000btu is having a hard time keeping up in certain areas. I'm with Xiggi. Get a generator.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle will eventually tell me why it won't work :D
Whether it's a traditional battery bank or a li-on Power Wall, resistive heat, air conditioners, induction motors are not well suited for inverter use. A 7kw Power Wall is still just 583 amp hours (my battery bank in 610 Ah). You'll be able to get about 550 amp hours out of it before it's dead, and if you can put back as many as 30 amp hours from the alternator (bulk charge), it'll take between 20 and 25 hours to recharge it fully.

Reactions: uriykir

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was told at the expo the only change coming for 2018 is a saw 3500 gvw under 10,000. I think the 4wd is already available.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't find the press release..but it with the increased competition the company wanted to respond to customers quickly...the official line up was not confirmed..but they mentioned the E version and 4x4....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was told at the expo the only change coming for 2018 is a saw 3500 gvw under 10,000. I think the 4wd is already available.
the 02-06's 3500 were 9990 till the big change in 07 when they went wider and taller and the 6 cylinder they increased that to 11,000 I think....

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
550 amp hours out of it
Then what the heck was all the news about? I understood that it could provide a constant 2-3 kw, our house ac would drain it in an hour

Most people are under the impression we can charge at night and do peak shaving (our rates are cheapest in the middle of the night)

As far as 20 hours to charge goes, that would work for me, not complaining but I seem to be getting far runs with no return load lately...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then what the heck was all the news about? I understood that it could provide a constant 2-3 kw, our house ac would drain it in an hour

Most people are under the impression we can charge at night and do peak shaving (our rates are cheapest in the middle of the night)
IMO there are better options for the money...I just can't see this as one, for us guys who stay out here for weeks at a time....

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It could give the gen a break but yes, I'm an out and back kind of driver...except when offered someplace I've never been

Got exactly 2 hours out of my Chinese 2000w gen and bent a pushrod, never tried again

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It could give the gen a break but yes, I'm an out and back kind of driver...except when offered someplace I've never been

Got exactly 2 hours out of my Chinese 2000w gen and bent a pushrod, never tried again

$3,000 buys quite a few nights in a motel room ...