TerraMaxx Sleeper Unit

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay Everyone, looking for a little help...

After several months on the road, I have only hauled a couple loads requiring the entire cargo area and I have missed a few load opps not being a team, so I'm looking to build a sleeper unit in my truck to make life more comfortable and my wife is coming out on the road with me so we'll be a team...

I've talked to Turtle Top, Midway and Hanvey, is there any other "good" upfitters out there I can contact about getting pricing for a sleeper unit and all the appurtenances???

Thanks,
Hazmat

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like Sportsmobile in Austin, TX. and also somewhere in IN. and CA. I believe.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Bolt Custom Trucks & Manufacturing. 260-387-5779 email: [email protected] 4532 Allen Martin Dr Fort Wayne IN 46806

Don advertises here on EO and has won best in show at the Expedite Expo. He does Sprinter sleepers as well as truck sleepers. Well worth calling. His group in Ft Wayne is fantastic to work with, we have been dealing with him for years and have not been disappointed.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Monty

Expert Expediter
Contact Knoxville Freightliner for the name of that outfitter they use with the sliding bulkhead in their Sprinter sleepers. I saw at last years Expo ... I though it was pretty neat ... "InSlider" I think it was called.

c64basic

Active Expediter
hazmat - I read the other thread about your TerraMaxx and have a couple questions:

1) In what range should a person expect to pay for a TerraMaxx? Like if the MSRP from the dealer is $45k what is a fair deal for the vehicle?

2) Have you had any trouble with the vehicle at all? Overall, how is working out?

I'm researching a few different vehicles so I could use your input.

Thanks

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'll second Slacktide's choice: Don Bentz doesn't just know what he's doing, he knows what we're doing, and his facility is one I [almost, lol] enjoy visiting.
When the lid on my Fantastic Fan did a Frisbee imitation a couple years ago, leaving a hole in the roof [above my bed!] Don cut a family occasion short to return to the shop to install a new cover - how many vendors would do that?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I've also heard nothing but good about Bolt. My only complaint with them is their web site needs expansion and upgrading.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Contact Knoxville Freightliner for the name of that outfitter they use with the sliding bulkhead in their Sprinter sleepers. I saw at last years Expo ... I though it was pretty neat ... "InSlider" I think it was called.

Thanks, I'll try to contact them on Monday to find out more info...

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bolt Custom Trucks & Manufacturing. 260-387-5779 email: [email protected] 4532 Allen Martin Dr Fort Wayne IN 46806

Don advertises here on EO and has won best in show at the Expedite Expo. He does Sprinter sleepers as well as truck sleepers. Well worth calling. His group in Ft Wayne is fantastic to work with, we have been dealing with him for years and have not been disappointed.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I'll second Slacktide's choice: Don Bentz doesn't just know what he's doing, he knows what we're doing, and his facility is one I [almost, lol] enjoy visiting.
When the lid on my Fantastic Fan did a Frisbee imitation a couple years ago, leaving a hole in the roof [above my bed!] Don cut a family occasion short to return to the shop to install a new cover - how many vendors would do that?

I've also heard nothing but good about Bolt. My only complaint with them is their web site needs expansion and upgrading.

Don is a great guy.

Thanks everyone, I sent an email out to him on Friday and looking forward to hearing back from him...

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
hazmat - I read the other thread about your TerraMaxx and have a couple questions:

1) In what range should a person expect to pay for a TerraMaxx? Like if the MSRP from the dealer is $45k what is a fair deal for the vehicle?

2) Have you had any trouble with the vehicle at all? Overall, how is working out?

I'm researching a few different vehicles so I could use your input.

Thanks

1) If you can get about 10% off retail, that would be a solid deal... With that said, I know Turtle Top has some left over models (currently DRW) that you can get for less which they are willing to modify to SRW... Mine was a SRW leftover and I saved about 25% off retail...

2) I haven't had any problems with mine... It's been great with all types and shapes of freight... Shippers and Consignees alike love the set-up (I get compliments all the time on the truck)...
The only negative I have are the front seats aren't the greatest, but we're getting ready to correct that...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The only negative I have are the front seats aren't the greatest, but we're getting ready to correct that...
Correction.... his WIFE is getting ready to correct that :D

Ebay was my friend... could probably be yours. There are also some RV outlets in northern IN that likely have some nice seats for your rig too. Guido is familiar with one...I can't remember the name though.

guido4475

Not a Member
Correction.... his WIFE is getting ready to correct that :D

Ebay was my friend... could probably be yours. There are also some RV outlets in northern IN that likely have some nice seats for your rig too. Guido is familiar with one...I can't remember the name though.

It was RV Surplus.

As far as A bolt sleeper is concerned, I'm not too sure.

Let me get this straight: Dick Bentz used to own Bentz sleepers out of Indiana. They closed up and his son opened up doing his own thing, right? Is he building those "Bolt" sleepers?

If so, I hope He builds better sleepers than his Dad. Although a real nice guy, the quality of those sleepers was not so good. Terrible wiring, and very sparse insulation. Just to name a few things. They may of looked nice to a point to the naked eye, but under the covers not so great. It was just a cheap, low quality sleeper.I had 2 of them. But there will be those that may say I am wrong, which is fine, we all are entitled to our own opinions, but they may be also the type that rate a sleeper on the color scheme or cushions....instead over the fit and finish, the deep down quality.

c64basic

Active Expediter
1) If you can get about 10% off retail, that would be a solid deal... With that said, I know Turtle Top has some left over models (currently DRW) that you can get for less which they are willing to modify to SRW... Mine was a SRW leftover and I saved about 25% off retail...

That's awesome info - thanks a bunch. Did you consider any other vehicles like a Sprinter? I'm currently looking and I'm surrounded by a plethora of Sprinter inventory which are deisel so the mpg is favorable. However, I'm concerned about ease & cost of getting a Daimler product serviced. On the other hand, I've always had good luck with Fords but I'm concerned about the fuel costs adding up with the Ford's gas engine...

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's awesome info - thanks a bunch. Did you consider any other vehicles like a Sprinter? I'm currently looking and I'm surrounded by a plethora of Sprinter inventory which are deisel so the mpg is favorable. However, I'm concerned about ease & cost of getting a Daimler product serviced. On the other hand, I've always had good luck with Fords but I'm concerned about the fuel costs adding up with the Ford's gas engine...

Here's a link for your research Ultra/Terra Maxx - Cargo Truck / Cargo Van

Tutrle Top makes two versions, one for the Chevy and one for the Ford...
The Chevy version can have the DurraMax Diesel, but the Ford version can only have a gas engine, since Ford no longer produce diesel engines for the E series...

It all gets down to personal choice...

For me, the diesel engine is more expensive up front and fuel costs are higher, but the diesel engine has a longer life... So I weighed out the cost of replacing the gas engine sooner, the cheaper fuel costs and the money I saved on buying a leftover model...

Also the Turtle Top Trucks are cheaper to maintain and the availability of mechanics across the country thru either dealerships or independent shops are much greater than a Sprinter...

Again, it all boils down to personal preferences and what your willing to work with... My truck came with a 410 rear end, which sukcs on mpg's but with a few modifications I have increased my mpg's and hopefully soon will be switching to 373's which will get me even more mpg's...
My goal is to get my fuel consumption down to .20 cpm or lower consistantly...

guido4475

Not a Member
It was RV Surplus.]

Thanks Guido, I'll check them out...
(I don't care what Rocketman says, you're alright with me...)

Thank you!....lol... I'll sleep better knowing that....lol...They, R.V. surplus, have a website, and do a huge business on the internet....Trina there is awesome to deal with, and Dave at R.V. One in Elkhart does an excellent job with anything, any kind of install, he is an approved Prevost service guy, and he does not come cheap, by any means, but will not do anything half-*****, he does it right the first time.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks everyone, I sent an email out to him on Friday and looking forward to hearing back from him...
Don is a busy, busy guy. Recently I found his voice mail box full and rejecting calls. Be patient, or better yet drive over. (Easy for me to say. I live close.)