""Teams don't make more money""

Timbo Houston

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Everyone says teams make more $$ but I don't see it at all. I've been crunching the numbers for awhile and going team is a bigger hit then going solo. If you hire a second driver at 20% that's chump change and I couldn't see why that person would stay. I know they have no responsibility but who wants to leave there home life for that kinda of money blows my mind. Even if I hire someone to team with me I take a loss, and lose money just so someone can tag along?!?. The money is in the solo! or if you do team it better be your wife or husband then and only then I can see it being better than solo. Bc if you hire a driver at 20% am sure the turn over is HIGH!.... Any advice would be appreciated!

Reactions: TeamPaul

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think you are right. Same household teams would do better. But there are a few things I can think of that may be worth considering. Own your own truck? Driver for owner? 40/60 or 60/40. Kind of freight you're hauling, reefer, dod? Rate you are running for? These could be some big differences. Are you running 2 a mile or 1.50. I think these could really play a big part of if it's worth teaming with a stranger

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have enough trouble trying to figure out how a solo straight makes more then a Sprinter
Other then comfort, the numbers don't add up for me.

Maybe I need a better calculator

b74b7d04dcd27ed67347930d9cbe8eb9.jpg

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I did great as a married-couple expedite team, but not simply because of team-miles and run pay reasons.

Because we were together, the need to go home was reduced. We stayed out more and made more.

Because we enjoyed each other's company, it was not as urgent to deadhead someplace for the sake of not sitting. Sitting was pleasant for us and as often as not we were better off getting a load there by waiting than by deadheading a long distance in hopes of finding something else.

Because we pretty-much lived in the truck, our household expenses were reduced (sold the house, cars and most household goods except keepsakes). No cable TV bill. No lawn mower to maintain. No electric bill. Etc.

Because we were good with the money we made, our expediting expenses were reduced (paid for truck, maintenance budget that kept major breakdowns from developing).

Single people who team with other single people but are not romantically involved do not have these advantages.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have enough trouble trying to figure out how a solo straight makes more then a Sprinter
All things being equal, they don't. The great equalizer being, of course, Hours of Service limitations. But what tilts the scale in favor of a straight truck solo is more load opportunities and far less competition in vehicle class. So despite the HoS, solo straights tend to run more loads, more days, less time sitting while available and waiting for a load.

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
My wife and I teamed for close to 20 years ( Roberts, FedEx, Con-way Now and finally Panther ) we enjoyed the time
together and all the things we saw, but at 80 and 78 we made to move to retire. But memories of good people will be forever.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator

Maybe I need a better calculator

b74b7d04dcd27ed67347930d9cbe8eb9.jpg

Well, I had been driving a Sprinter since 2005 until May of this year when I moved up to a straight. I can assure you that I make more money in the straight than in the Sprinter. Like turtle said, I run more loads since most everywhere I go besides Taylor I am the only L1 straight around. And the loads I run pay way better than in the Sprinter. I love making more dollars than miles I run now, where in the Sprinter almost on all loads I was driving more miles than the dollars I got paid.

But, but, but there is always a but. The jury is still out if I get to keep more money than I did with the Sprinter. Fuel costs me a bit more than double what it cost in the Sprinter, and maintenance is also a bit (a lot) more than in my Sprinter. Just for example, I replaced the steer tires, almost a grand. Went to the shop last month, almost a grand, and so on. My Sprinter didn't cost me this much. It seems that every time I set my foot into a shop the bill is at least a grand.

As comfort goes, yes. I love not to set up my bed and put it up all the time. But I also have to plan my stops because I can't park this thing like I used to park my Sprinter. In the Sprinter when I was tired and wanted to sleep I always found a Walmart, or a Lowe's, or Home Depot, or a rest area to park. Some Walmarts don't allow truck parking, and sometimes the places that allow truck parking (truck stops, rest areas) are full past 7:00 pm. Being a straight, I can usually fit in spots that a tractor cannot, but still it is more hassle than my Sprinter.

Now Hours of Service I love and I hate at the same time. I love the 11 hours rule. I am too old to drive those 1000 mile loads straight through, even though I can build enough time for some naps in there. Give me a 600 miles or less load and I am as happy as I can be. What I hate is the 14 hours rule. Messes me up a lot, especially on loads that deliver first thing in the morning. By the time I get my hours back to be able to run a load the day is done. Oh well...

I will give it until May next year to see where I stand and decide then if I stay in the straight or go back to the Sprinter. If I get to keep more money than I did in the Sprinter I'll stay in the straight, maybe I will even upgrade to a newer and better truck, but if not, I will go back to a Sprinter.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I do think over the long term that you will find that a solo straight pays more. As you noted, the revenue is considerably higher, but so are the expenses. That makes it more or less a wash when compared to a Sprinter. Which is why a lot of people will think a solo Sprinter and a solo straight pays the same when it's all said and done. The Rule of Thirds still apply regardless of the vehicle. The difference is the additional load opportunities you can have in a straight truck.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
This topic has me pondering about going solo in a March time frame, then bringing my wife in to complete a team in mid to late summer. I was considering going over the road in March anyway...

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would the part of this discussion regarding sprinters and solo straights be different when you consider owner/ops and fleet Driver earnings?

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would the part of this discussion regarding sprinters and solo straights be different when you consider owner/ops and fleet Driver earnings?

The split between the driver and fleet owner will change some of the numbers