TA/Petro, Still a pain in the neck! Sticking with Pilot/Flying J

vanman10

Expert Expediter
I was at the TA in Rockwall, TX (I-30, Exit 68) and I thought I would finally give TA/Petro a try again getting gas, what a disappointment. Sadly they still are no better at handling a gas purchases with the Comdata card or getting points/showers on your UltraOne card then they were 6 months ago. They truly could care less about us expeditors pumping gas.

When I put my Comdata card in at the pump, as usual, "see attendant". When I saw the attendant she gave me a snotty sounding reply that "we don't take Comdata for gas!!, you will have to drive around back to the fuel desk and get a cash advance first". In addition, if I would have decided to follow her instructions and get gas there, the girl said I would have to drive back around to the fuel desk with my gas receipt to get points/shower credit on my card.

What a bunch of bull!

I will stick with Pilot/Flying J, they are not perfect but my Comdata card always works at the gas pump at Pilot and Flying J, my points/showers are usually added at the pump as well, and if the points/showers need added it never seems like a big deal to staff.

I guess my $15,000 a year in gas and all the inside purchases that go with the gas are just to small a change for TA/Petro.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I agree, and that's why I use the Pilot ... I can not use my ComCard out front .. there are letters in my DL #, and my card requires the complet Dl number, plus the state issued.

I just walk inside and ask them to turn on the pump, leave my card. Then go back in and they complete the transaction and add my points and showers.

TA/Petro, not so simple, and I'm buying diesel fuel.

Now I could use the truck pumps, but it is a real pain, I can't fuel at the speed the pumps run, so I end up spilling it all over the van, and my shoes.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
They care just as much about a tractor O/O buying $800 worth of fuel. They just don't care ! BTW the showers jumped to $12 that's INSANITY !!!

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
well, being in a straight truck, I'm the opposite. You can keep the Pilots, will take TA/Petro anytime. I like the receipt they give, find the showers have improved a lot, and really likle the new kiosks at the fuel island that they are upgrading to.

Hope the vans keep going to the Pilots, leave more out front parking for me at TAs and Petros :)

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
They care just as much about a tractor O/O buying $800 worth of fuel. They just don't care ! BTW the showers jumped to $12 that's INSANITY !!!

I've yet to pay for a shower at either brand (and i try to shower daily, every other day minimum), but would pay the $12. for TA/Petro before paying $10. for Pilot.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Stop using your Comdata card for fuel. Why do you want to pay those transaction fees?

Sign up with Tab Bank (owned by FJ and Pilot) and get their debit Mastercard. It becomes a TCH card for other truck stops. You can use it at the front pumps at FJ and Pilot. It gives you an additional 2 cents off your fuel price (on your statement, not at the pump). The pump will ask for your Fueler Advantage card and apply points appropriately.

To move money onto your Tab mastercard, just call TAB and use their automated banking. It will ask for your card number and if you want to make a comdata deposit. It will ask if you have an Express code or would like a check number. Get the check number for the amount you want transferred. Then, call Comdata and register that number.

15 minutes later the money is in your account for $1.00 fee and now you have a Mastercard for everything including fuel purchases.

Be smart out there.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Chet,
Why stop using comdata card for fuel? We get awesome discounts at TA. I had even 43 cents a gallon discount. And remember, different companies have different deals with comdata. It costs me $1.75 when they add the money to the card (payroll) whether I buy fuel with it or not. It costs nothing extra to buy fuel. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sorry. I didn't know there were deals like that at some companies. I'm not fortunate enough to have any deals available and go out of my way to avoid my Comdata card. I get paid on it and that is all I use it for. I have my daughter write a Comdata check once a week to go into my credit union and I do the Tab bank transfer once a week for my fuel and on-the-road expenses.

I figured most of us little guys out here were being taken advantage of. You are lucky to be working for a good company.

Thanks for the information.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What transaction fees?

I pay I think a buck to load the card and that's it.

When money is moved, it is instant, no waiting.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm not sure who that question was directed to. Comdata charges me $1.00 to transfer money to my TAB card. It also charges me $1.00 to write/cash a comdata check.

Tab charges nothing for transactions.

I get a text and email message when the transfer is complete; about 15 minutes.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm not a fan of TAB. After the second "missed-swipe" of the card, it was locked. Also, FJ and Pilot may own the bank, but their ATMs are NOT TAB. Billpay is becoming a bit of a pain to start up.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've had my card locked up twice in the last 7 years. It sucks. Especially when they can only unlock it during business hours.

A good part about the TAB card is "Pump Start" and DEF Pumps. When I go to the back of the Pilot or J for DEF from the pumps, I easily start the diesel and DEF pumps with my card (along with my FF Advantage card.)

I never use ATMs anywhere. That's what Walmart is for. Buy a candy bar and get $100 cash back. Just so simple.

I'm sure lots of people hate the card or don't trust the card or just won't use it. No problems. I love having it.

vanman10

Expert Expediter
You are all correct, Comdata, TAB all have their problems, I know Comdata with my carrier is costly. I really try not to use anything but my bank card at the pump but sometimes when my current funds are low, such as a couple weeks ago when I was in Dallas for a wedding and vacation, I used my Comdata card to keep cash in my pocket.

On the points side of things, at TA/Petro, you can't even get your points at the pump with the UkltraOne card. A pain.