Switching COMPANIES bad rates

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Seeing these types of posts all over Facebook with drivers from many different carriers. The rates are so bad here and freight is so slow we are looking for a new company...

So what surprised me a little is that the posters must not be reading the other posts with people from different companies saying the same thing. Changing a company that you liked when freight was good during a slow time can end up to be jumping out of the pan and into the fire.

The price of fuel is low so FSC is either low or non-existent and the rates reflect this. Our cost of doing business also reflects low fuel prices so what we need for pay per mile also comes down.

Still right now not sure what people are running for as the rates are really lower then we want to run so we are sitting more. This is another reason for a nice emergency fund so we do not have to run and lose money in the long run.

Think before you jump and remember the start up costs and the learning curve to get into the groove at a new company.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Human nature
Grass is always greener....
Good points. Too many don't look at the big picture. Also I think some actullay jump instead of checking sources so then it's not their fault. How many times do you hear it's the companies fault? Time to take responsibility.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know Linda and Bob know in the past because of our vehicle we both were exceeding the FSC formula for MPG by about 50%... Now we've lost that advantage and really have to watch out running costs...

Reactions: TeamCaffee

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
Why should the companies even care about us in the first place. We're the ones having to make the payments on the equipment. We're the ones out for weeks at a time. So why should they even bother to try or even care. As long as they make their money...The hell with the little guy right???

Show me a company that cares.... And I'll show you a nonexistent company

Reactions: tknight

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why should the companies even care about us in the first place. We're the ones having to make the payments on the equipment. We're the ones out for weeks at a time. So why should they even bother to try or even care. As long as they make their money...The hell with the little guy right???

If the little is not making money, you think the carrier is? Both make money, just not as much as they use to. I knew what the rate was before I signed on. Two carriers, one a scale rate per mile, one a percentage. I signed on with both knowingly what I was getting into. You can leave or stay it's our choice. 11 years and I left the scale rate carrie after my 6 th rate cut, in 8 1/2 years. Percentage was good for me. Still is. No regrets.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter

I feel like my company cares. They've never showed me any different.

Reactions: Steady Eddie

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

A few companies have figured out its more cost effective to have its O/O and fleet owners make money. To be able to upgrade equipment and add to their fleets , others sadly have a adopted a revolving door policy.

[/Quote]Show me a company that cares.... And I'll show you a nonexistent company[/QUOTE]

All companies care, the hard part is finding the One that cares about the same things as you

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you hop the fence looking for greener grass, mainly you just get to see the weeds up close.

Or dirt. You look down at your feet see little green grass. Looking over the fence you can clearly see that grass at an angle is greener. Then you get over there look down and see the dirt and weeds, scream,"ah man".

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Couple of my favs... the second one seems to apply particular to expediting.

married_greener_grass_750.jpeg

grass_is_greener2.jpg

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We made one carrier change in the ten years we were in the business, and we did so believing the grass was greener on the other side. In fact, that turned out to be true, even with the very real and very substantial costs of changing carriers factored in.

Our satisfaction with our first carrier declined when they changed their dispatch system in ways we believed to be unfair and financially harmful to us. When we made the move from FedEx Custom Critical to Landstar Express America, we found a different kind of dispatch system that gave us more options and more control over our destiny in the business.

That was the difference that truly made the grass greener on the other side. We were also delighted to find ourselves hauling the exact same freight for the exact same customers for higher rates in some cases. We had more options and more ways to interact with the Landstar agents who dispatch freight than we had at the previous carrier's centralized dispatch system. It did not take long to master the new system and once we did, we felt like we fell into the clover.

After a few months, the numbers showed we were making far more money at Landstar than we made at FedEx Custom Critical. The increased total revenue from fewer total miles driven provided a lucrative outcome.

It is wise to note that in many cases, it SEEMS like the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. It is also true that in some cases, the grass really is greener over there. The only way to know for sure is to do your research before making the leap. Factor in all costs, including the down time and deadhead miles a carrier switch requires. If you can, talk to straight-shooters who have made the switch before you to get the best information possible.

When making such a decision, it is best to place your emotions on hold. While it may feel better in the moment to take action to leave a carrier you are upset with or disappointed in, that is a backward-looking response. While it may feel great to imagine how much better things will be once a carrier change is made, that is a forward-looking response. In both cases, you are in the present moment, feeling the emotions that looking back and looking ahead produce.

Drivers who are driven by emotion only when making carrier-change decisions tend to make them more often than those who have cooler heads, and they tend to make them more poorly.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We made one carrier change in the ten years we were in the business, and we did so believing the grass was greener on the other side. In fact, that turned out to be true, even with the very real and very substantial costs of changing carriers factored in.

Our satisfaction with our first carrier declined when they changed their dispatch system in ways we believed to be unfair and financially harmful to us. When we made the move from FedEx Custom Critical to Landstar Express America, we found a different kind of dispatch system that gave us more options and more control over our destiny in the business.

That was the difference that truly made the grass greener on the other side. We were also delighted to find ourselves hauling the exact same freight for the exact same customers for higher rates in some cases. We had more options and more ways to interact with the Landstar agents who dispatch freight than we had at the previous carrier's centralized dispatch system. It did not take long to master the new system and once we did, we felt like we fell into the clover.

After a few months, the numbers showed we were making far more money at Landstar than we made at FedEx Custom Critical. The increased total revenue from fewer total miles driven provided a lucrative outcome.

It is wise to note that in many cases, it SEEMS like the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. It is also true that in some cases, the grass really is greener over there. The only way to know for sure is to do your research before making the leap. Factor in all costs, including the down time and deadhead miles a carrier switch requires. If you can, talk to straight-shooters who have made the switch before you to get the best information possible.

When making such a decision, it is best to place your emotions on hold. While it may feel better in the moment to take action to leave a carrier you are upset with or disappointed in, that is a backward-looking response. While it may feel great to imagine how much better things will be once a carrier change is made, that is a forward-looking response. In both cases, you are in the present moment, feeling the emotions that looking back and looking ahead produce.

Drivers who are driven by emotion only when making carrier-change decisions tend to make them more often than those who have cooler heads, and they tend to make them more poorly.

I am with you Phil.....IF one does their research it should be greener most of the time if your research was well founded....In my case I found what I needed and to this point very satisfied.

Nearly everyone who has posted on his thread has found the greener side....Turtle, Eddie, myself, Linda

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cornered with a major decision once. Did all the research but can't seem to find the solutions.

Secured the service of a Corporate Intuitive Consultant. It works.

FYI, that's a politically corrected name for Psychic, Lol....

Use at your own risk. Good luck!

Reactions: NorthernBill

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Geo does work as a consultant.
I wonder if he'd be good at doing the analysis and I wonder what he charges.
Has anyone on here consulted him ?
I talked to him years ago about going to Ceva and he seems to be a good guy.
I never used him as a paid consultant. .

Reactions: Mailer