Mechanical stripped oil pan plug mbe906

chuck906

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I am sitting at a Speedco and the drain plug on my oil pan will not tighten it just spins.
the oil pan is a composit or aluminum I am not sure.
we can get the plug to loosen and the manager is afraid to take it out.
is the plug a softer material than the pan IE if we get it out will a new standard plug solve the problem?
Is there a plate inside the oil pan that the plug screws into that has come loose?
Any insight would be great.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
That oil pan is about 1200.00 not cheap and hard to find its just a very thick casting with a steel plug threaded I'd recommend a new pan or if your in need of one I have a junk m2 I'm selling parts off of and it has a pan on it still . I'm not sure if the treads are cut in the aluminum or there is a cast insert. The front axel needs to be dropped to get the pan out , good luck
Ps I'll sell the whole can and chassis for 2000. A plethora of good parts!

There is nothing inside the oil pan. Check with ww Williams as they are your best source for the Mbe engine freightliner has all but given up on them

Reactions: neilblack

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
New pan, dude. No insert available. After you get the thorough hosing from the friendly jagoffs at Freightliner, might I suggest installing a Fumoto quick valve? Flip a lever, and oil comes out. You can even attach a hose, and not soak your steer axle when the geniuses at Speedco drain your old oil. tknight is probably spot-on with his price, BTW.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
On a side note save the old pan sell it for scrap and buy lunch, your wallets gonna be shy for a while, as these Mbe motors get older the parts get costlier!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
On another note, if Speedco did the last oil change and the plug is stripped then make them pay for it. If they didnt then I would go back to who did !!!

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
About a year ago Speedco striped the drain plug on my MBE 4000. The mechanic used a breaker bar to torque the plug instead of a torque wrench.Since the plug was snug and just dripping occasionally I was able to get it to my local shop. My mechanic was able to put in a 3/4 to 1/2 inch reducer using the threads that were left and some really good thread locker. Speedco reimbursed me for this repair.
Since then I have had to watch the mechanics at every oil change to insure they use two wrenches. One to hold the insert from moving and one to loosen the drain plug. I have a Fumoto quick drain plug waiting for me at home that will be installed with the next oil change.

Reactions: tknight

tknight

Veteran Expediter
About a year ago Speedco striped the drain plug on my MBE 4000. The mechanic used a breaker bar to torque the plug instead of a torque wrench.Since the plug was snug and just dripping occasionally I was able to get it to my local shop. My mechanic was able to put in a 3/4 to 1/2 inch reducer using the threads that were left and some really good thread locker. Speedco reimbursed me for this repair.
Since then I have had to watch the mechanics at every oil change to insure they use two wrenches. One to hold the insert from moving and one to loosen the drain plug. I have a Fumoto quick drain plug waiting for me at home that will be installed with the next oil change.

Great idea if you still have enough thread left clean it real good and finish wiping the treads with alcohol let dry and use lok-tite on the reducer
Good luck.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Since it's aluminum and expensive, I'd suggest having the pan removed, the hole tig welded shut, then drilled out and tapped. Nice new threads. If going this route, you can use whatever size drain plug you want, and the thickness of the threaded portion can be as deep as you want it to be. This should be considered if there were only 5-6 threads in the original pan to begin with.

I'm guilty of similar exploits.
oK3bfmG.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 turbo, Jiffy Lube stripped out neighbor girl's oil pan, I used a Keensert to fix the pan, and this was the only 'plug' I had on hand that would fit. It's still there.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I once stripped the aluminum oil pan on a a Honda engine.. Depending on the hole size and If the tech is skilled he might be able to install a stainless steel helicoil. Permanent and less expensive than an oil pan.
You will still need have the oil pan removed for installing and cleaning so you don't have metal chips in the oil.
Good luck

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another possibility is If the metal is thick enough possibly have it re threaded and matching drain plug

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
VW Jetta 2.0 turbo, Jiffy Lube stripped out neighbor girl's oil pan, I used a Keensert to fix the pan, and this was the only 'plug' I had on hand that would fit. It's still there.
If you ran power to it would it work as a glow plug to heat the oil?

Reactions: tknight