Straight Truck Owner

Shawn D Robinson

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I've been driving for some time now and I really thinking about buying my own truck. If I do how do I go about getting steady loads as a straight truck owner operator

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is nothing steady about expedite loads.... you could be slammed one week and sit 3 days the next.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you have your MC# Interstate authority. You will need one as well as insurance one million on the truck, one million general business liability, and a minimum of one hundred thousand on the freight before most brokers will hire you.
Average cost to get your authority, and insurances about $1,000.00 depending on your insurance loss history, driving and DOT safety record.
Anything over 18,000 lbs will require Highway Use Tax in New York, 26,000 lbs you have IFTA and HUT. Even if you decide to lease on with a carrier, broker, or fleet owner I believe its in your best interest to have your own authority as you have an ace in your hand.

Good luck.
Bob Wolf

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As far as finding loads you can start with local delivery companies as they already have a customer base. Keep in mind FMCSA requires carriers that sub work out to have Brokers Authority otherwise they are breaking the law. load boards I have used Internet truck stop, and Truckers Edge,

I would be cautious with Uship as they do not have carrier, broker, or freight forwarders authority.
There are allot of people transporting that don't have authority and insurance so they will often underbid, Ive heard several stories of drivers not getting paid.
With legal registered Brokers you have some factual way to vett potential customers and recourse if they don't pay.

In any case you MUST VETT all your customers.

Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Do you have your MC# Interstate authority. You will need one as well as insurance one million on the truck, one million general business liability, and a minimum of one hundred thousand on the freight before most brokers will hire you.
Average cost to get your authority, and insurances about $1,000.00 depending on your insurance loss history, driving and DOT safety record.
Anything over 18,000 lbs will require Highway Use Tax in New York, 26,000 lbs you have IFTA and HUT. Even if you decide to lease on with a carrier, broker, or fleet owner I believe its in your best interest to have your own authority as you have an ace in your hand.

Good luck.
Bob Wolf

Authority cost 300.00 but I'm pretty sure yout insurance is gonna be way more than 1000.00! Hut is 19.00 and ifta per year could be 1250.00 or more depending on what states you get permits for, if your a team, you'll want to get 48 continental states and Canada if your gonna run them.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yearly insurance premium definitely more than $1,000.00
Getting set up with the insurance down payment and authority is where I estimate about a grand. At least if he / she has a decent record.

My yearly premium is around 6 grand 1 Strait Truck and 1 cargo van

Reactions: tknight