Stereotypes exist for a reason.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
axqk3nq.jpg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You'd be tempted to ask what was he thinking but obviously he wasn't. It would be nice to know the circumstances.

Reactions: Opel2010

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Way back when I started driving for a living, if you saw a rig stuck under a bridge 9 times out of 10 it was a JB Hunt. They had a reputation for being just about the worst. I think that has improved since those days.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Way back when I started driving for a living, if you saw a rig stuck under a bridge 9 times out of 10 it was a JB Hunt. They had a reputation for being just about the worst. I think that has improved since those days.
Did JB Hunt improve, or others appeared that are simply worse than them?:JC-LOL:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think they are smarter. The road commission just raised the overpass a few inches or lowered the pavement to make sure they could go under.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I almost turned onto the wrong side of a ramp. The intersection had inverted markings due to construction. BUT I noticed immediately since the concrete divider was on the right side of the truck and a nice large white sign maybe ten feet from the road that had bold black letters that said WRONG WAY GO BACK.

I chose to take the all the signs for what they were worth and backed up.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a railroad bridge in Brockport NY SR19 its posted 11feet 10 inches its in the middle of town. There is plenty of signage apx TEN MILES to the north and south, at least three signs between the town limits and the bridge, stating the height.
Math was never my strongest subject but I do understand measurements. For some reason my math says a truck with a height of 13 feet 6 inches will not fit under a bridge that has a clearance of 11' 6". There have been a few swift trucks parked under it.

Reactions: greasytshirt

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did JB Hunt improve, or others appeared that are simply worse than them?:JC-LOL:
Several years ago JB Hunt increased their pay package and raised their hiring standards. Swift, being an entry level driver carrier and probably the largest truck load carrier, one is apt to see more situations as pictured involving Swift trucks.

Years ago I did a nightly LTL meet and turn at the old Kwik Trip truckstop in Mauston, WI. Someone with some artistic talent, time and a black Magic Marker, depicted a truck cab layout on the inside door of a toilet stall in the men's restroom. The depiction included a truck dashboard layout, complete with steering wheel, gauges and shifter. The side walls of the stall showed the inside view of truck doors with windows, door and window handles. The heading above the "art work": JB Hunt Truck Cab Training Simulator.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yep, the 'whipping boy' of the trucking world has changed from JB Hunt to Swift, and the mnemonics for SWIFT are pretty amusing. [My own: S#%*! - will insurance fix that?] My favorite is the sign that warns of unsafe road for tractor trailers, and says "Swift, this means you!" :D