Sprinter Turbo resonator and cracked hoses

jriordan

Seasoned Expediter
Hi All, Thought I would share some sprinter info for you. At the request of Dodge, my company designed the fix for the plastic POS resonators that continually fail on the late 2004 to early 2007 2.7 liter 5 cyl diesel engines. It is the patent pending billet aluminum , lifetime guaranteed resonator eliminator. They are available from many dodge dealers or directly from us at riordanco dot com. Recently, Dodge again approached us for a fix for the late 2007 to 2010, 3.0 liter v6 Sprinter turbo hoses which are cracking in large numbers at the metal fitting , mostly under the drivers side, although some are cracking on the passenger side as well. I am happy to report that we have developed and are in production with the fix. The hose costs about $133 to replace plus the down time waiting for them. Our fix will cost about half the cost of a new hose. Our billet aluminum part replaces the metal end of the hose and can be snapped in place in a couple of minutes. The existing hose is then cut all around the diameter at the location of the crack and then simply slipped over our part and clamped in place. The end of our part has a rounded edge so cracking the hose in that location does not happen again. The part comes with a stainless steel hose clamp. This repair can be done by anyone even on the side of the road. please feel free to contact me for more Sprinter information Best regards to all , Jim Riordan

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am curious, how is that a patentable item? It replaces a resonator completely and eliminates the resonator by putting a metal "tube" in it's place. Anyone with a lathe and a welder could make it.

I wonder who at Dodge approached you for this fix, it amazes me that with the combined engineering staff in the Mercedes engine group in Germany and the group here in Auburn Hills, that they couldn't come up with this fix.

I just called one of the engineers who was in charge of quality testing for the sprinter project, he said he has heard about this from several sources but they never got one to test and it is an unapproved and unsanctioned by Daimler as a replacement part so it may void the warranty.

You do know that Dodge has nothing to do with the design of the sprinter?

Is this spam?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea and?

I saw that it used to cost $89 and now it is $139 and I didn't see a patent number mentioned at the site.

Maybe I will throw a chunk of thick wall aluminum tubing in my lathe and turn out a few at $25 a piece? Want one?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yea and?

I saw that it used to cost $89 and now it is $139 and I didn't see a patent number mentioned at the site.

Maybe I will throw a chunk of thick wall aluminum tubing in my lathe and turn out a few at $25 a piece? Want one?

He was making it sound like it was a new thingee...

I replaced mine last year at my sprinter dealer in Rapid City where I get all my PM done....was only $49.95..BUT I heard of people paying a lot more. Prices seem to fluctuate from dealer to dealer...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I am curious, how is that a patentable item? It replaces a resonator completely and eliminates the resonator by putting a metal "tube" in it's place. Anyone with a lathe and a welder could make it.
Difficulty or ease of manufacture is not a factor in whether or not an item is patentable. What matters is if the item "novel, non-obvious, and have utility." Saying something is "patent pending" is far different from listing the patent number it has received, however. ;)

I wonder who at Dodge approached you for this fix, it amazes me that with the combined engineering staff in the Mercedes engine group in Germany and the group here in Auburn Hills, that they couldn't come up with this fix.
It is amazing, isn't it? The original turbo resonator is essentially two halves of a plastic sphere that is sealed at the seams. A plastic part, glued together, for use in one of the hottest and highest pressure locations on the vehicle. Genius, those Germans.

Currently, the supplier for this part is on their 5th generation of it, and while the failure rate is less with this latest generation, it still happens, and in the same exact manner, a catastrophic failure at the seams.

Many Sprinter technicians will tell you that it's not a matter of if it will fail, it's merely a matter of when.

As for who at Dodge which approached them, it was, apparently, a local Dodge dealer Service Manager (by the name of Randell Stowe), as a result of what kind of prior relationship between the two, I have no idea. Fas as I know this is not an officially sanctioned part by Chrysler, but it has quickly become a cult favorite among Sprinter technicians at many Sprinter dealers across the country. By this point, it's likely that most of them offer it. At many Sprinter dealers, when you drive in, or more often get towed in for a turbo resonator failure, you will get a choice of replacing it with an OEM part, or the Turbo Resonator Eliminator.

Realized independently, there is a similar aftermarket solution for Sprinters in Europe, and it's just as popular over there, if not more popular. I know my uncle over there had his recommended to him by his dealer as a preventative measure.

I got my Turbo Resonator Eliminator from my genuine Mopar 5-Star Chrysler Jeep Dodge Sprinter dealer at home, right off the shelf stock from the Parts Department, and it comes complete with a lifetime warranty (honored by Riordanco, of course, and not by Chrysler). Many van conversion manufacturers have gone to routinely replacing the OEM resonator with the Resonator Eliminator before delivering the vehicle.

I just called one of the engineers who was in charge of quality testing for the sprinter project, he said he has heard about this from several sources but they never got one to test and it is an unapproved and unsanctioned by Daimler as a replacement part so it may void the warranty.
There have been a few Dodge Service Managers who have on their own tried to void the warranty to customers, but so far every time it's been pushed up the chain, Corporate has honored the warranty without incident. Since the replacement part in no way affects the operation of the vehicle, it cannot void the warranty (by virtue of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). It may not be officially sanctioned by Daimler, but it's being widely implemented by their Service Departments.

You do know that Dodge has nothing to do with the design of the sprinter?
Yeah, he knows, for sure.

Is this spam?
Without a doubt, absolutely, yes.

But it is informative, as the 6-cylinder engines have a different type of resonator-related problem that they have come up with a resolution for.

This is a part that has been heavily scrutinized and discussed by a large segment of the Sprinter community online. Thoughts and results of everything from performance to installation to warranty issues have been thoroughly examined and posted online. To date there has not been one negative post to any of the Sprinter forums, particularly to the two main ones, from anyone with experience with the Resonator Eliminator. The only negatives have been from a few who question the obvious and natural concerns about performance hits and warranty issues, all of which have dispelled.

While the posting here is unquestionably SPAM, the part itself, and the company behind it, is the real deal.

jriordan

Seasoned Expediter
In response to Greg and Ontario van man, yes this product has been in production for three years. Yes it is still patent pending, that is why there is no patent number shown as issued yet, and yes our attorneys pursue unfair competition and patent infringement. Folsom Lake Dodge in Folsom California, knowing we are a product development company, first approached us on this problem and asked for a fix. Feel free to call them. In fact, the part is indeed being recommended by Sprinter reps who work for Chrysler and visit five star Dodge dealers who service sprinters. The information you were given by the design engineer may be correct that he has not seen one, but the CEO of Chrysler was sent one early on. We also design plastic injection molds and told Chrysler that the stock plastic resonators had inherent design defects and the design would not hold up under heat, diesel oil, 23 to 25 inches of boost along with a vibratory environment. Another fact, the Magnuson warranty act specifically prohibits Chrysler/Dodge from voiding your warranty since it makes no change in performance to the vehicle at all. Greg, I am as surprised as you that Chrysler/Daimler/Dodge did not provide the fix especially after we spoke with headquarters. Lastly I hope you would not consider this spam since I only wanted to offer help to those who need it . . If you would rather not know about fixes we have for this and other problems, I will be happy not to bother you with them. Best regards, Jim Riordan

jriordan

Seasoned Expediter
Thank You Turtle, Your information is indeed 100% accurate. Sorry if solutions are considered spam, I really am. I will not offer any more info about our solutions unless I am asked for them. Members of this site have contacted us and asked us for more info, so I thought it would be ok. You are also 100% correct about the V6 turbo hose issues. I love my Sprinter and have had very good luck with it other than the Mass air temperature sensor and the Resonator . . . I would buy another in a minute. There is a photo of mine on our site at riordanco, so while I am not an expediter, I am a Sprinter owner and fan.
Thanks again Turtle for your accurate and kind response. Best regards, Jim Riordan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Jim, yes, it's SPAM, but loosely. It's a post that advertises a product, which by definition is SPAM, but it's more than that. To those who are not aware that the product solves a very real issue with the Sprinter might consider it nothing more than pure SPAM, but they would be wrong. This is a solution born of need, not merely something to sell a bunch of crap to make someone money, so the informative aspect far outweighs the SPAM involved, especially since this product has been discussed, and endorsed by people here, on several occasions. People here often post links or information about products or services that will benefit others here, and this posting is no different. Solutions we like, SPAM we don't, and this one's more of a solution than SPAM.

You should advertise here, actually. To me it's old hat, and a no-brainer, that you should have a Resonator Eliminator in your Sprinter, but others might not even know about it. It's a hike from California, but you might even consider a booth at the annual Expedite Expo. ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
turtle said
You should advertise here, actually. To me it's old hat, and a no-brainer, that you should have a Resonator Eliminator in your Sprinter, but others might not even know about it. It's a hike from California, but you might even consider a booth at the annual Expedite Expo. ;)

Now that sounds spamish...you into advertizing as a part time gig? :p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Now that sounds spamish...you into advertizing as a part time gig? :p
It is spamish. Just trying to drum up a little bit of business for Lawrence and the whole gang over at On Time Media, LLC. :D

On Time Media would benefit, Riordanco would benefit, owners of Sprinters would benefit, everybody benefits.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is spamish. Just trying to drum up a little bit of business for Lawrence and the whole gang over at On Time Media, LLC. :D

On Time Media would benefit, Riordanco would benefit, owners of Sprinters would benefit, everybody benefits.

Not to mention maybe a little kick back to that sneaky shelled one under that there log....*L*:D

jdshamis

Active Expediter
Thank You Turtle, Your information is indeed 100% accurate. Sorry if solutions are considered spam, I really am. I will not offer any more info about our solutions unless I am asked for them. Members of this site have contacted us and asked us for more info, so I thought it would be ok. You are also 100% correct about the V6 turbo hose issues. I love my Sprinter and have had very good luck with it other than the Mass air temperature sensor and the Resonator . . . I would buy another in a minute. There is a photo of mine on our site at riordanco, so while I am not an expediter, I am a Sprinter owner and fan.
Thanks again Turtle for your accurate and kind response. Best regards, Jim Riordan
Dear Jim,

Thx for your info, and sticking up for it despite the 'resistance' on the site.
I just joined the forum to see what might be available re this problem, as I'm once again sitting in a dealer waiting room having my Winnebago View/Sprinter chassis serviced for the turbo hose blowing off, 2nd time in 5K miles. I have already installed an aftermarket hose fitting (aluminum, ridged, don't recall the site I got it from) after my first blow at ~2K miles, but last week needed turbo service: whole system was clogged up, they had to remove the turbo & some hoses to clear out, and they warned me that they had a tough time keeping the hose/clamp on and it might go anytime, and it did. Really confused what to do here, as we'd like to use this RV for long-distance touring but obvoiusly have a problem.
Thx.
Jeff

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
Jdshamus, I don't have a sprinter so I have to ask. What type/style of clamp keeps letting go? Could you use a constant tension clamp similar to those on big rigs?

Sharnahid

Active Expediter
I have a quick question. Anyone have a good mechanic Tulsa, that works on sprinter. Cac hose is cracked I don't know the locate of it or I would replace it myself. Also need a new starter. Oh and ofcourse reasonable priced.
Thanks