Sprinter preventive Maint.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How about it $printer shoes, at apx. 360.000, Alt went. 407.000, oil filter housing came unsealed. What next, oil cooler? Or..........rear end, trans, engine. What have you rebuilt or replaced before it broke?
Replaced drive shaft and front struts at 200.000.

Ours is a 2011, bought used in 2013 with 160.000 on it.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mines in the shop now getting the oil cooler replaced, some seem to have seals go bad others don't. While it's apart having the water pump replaced and belts and pullies replaced as preventative. 435 thousand but the oil coolers been leaking for about 50.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How about it $printer shoes, at apx. 360.000, Alt went. 407.000, oil filter housing came unsealed. What next, oil cooler? Or..........rear end, trans, engine. What have you rebuilt or replaced before it broke?

Talked with a MB mechanic recently and he said the lines (seals) leading to the oil cooler start leaking around 400k. Not a fun repair to go through. Because it's a 8-10 hr job. If you want his number let me know. He does it on the weekend at his house

Reactions: NorthernBill

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I heard that the oil filter housing cracks very easy and will cause leaking. It is because of a over zealous mechanic cranking it back one. Had mine replaced a while back.

Reactions: NorthernBill

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mines in the shop now getting the oil cooler replaced, some seem to have seals go bad others don't. While it's apart having the water pump replaced and belts and pullies replaced as preventative. 435 thousand but the oil coolers been leaking for about 50.
So the cooler leak was more or less not to bad? How did it show, or where did the leak appear?

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Talked with a MB mechanic recently and he said the lines (seals) leading to the oil cooler start leaking around 400k. Not a fun repair to go through. Because it's a 8-10 hr job. If you want his number let me know. He does it on the weekend at his house
Would like his number, Thanks

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So the cooler leak was more or less not to bad? How did it show, or where did the leak appear?
Driver side of engine. If you have oil build up on starter then it's a good sign that those seals are leaking. They will leak more in the colder temps than warm.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not bad in the beginning but like stated it gets worse in the cold. The oil collects on the cross members under the engine and will drip off that to the ground. Usually a row of small drip spots maybe 3 or 4 towards the rear of the motor.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The oil stain begins at the bottom of the filter, on the same side down the block...a year or two of ignoring it and I'll be able to see it better

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Was told by a mechanic since mine is in the shop that these engines mostly hold up at 300k to 400k before problems start. I say turn them back in and buy new ones and start over. LOL

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The oil filter housing leak was pretty bad, good to know that the cooler leak starts more like a seep.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know one.person with a 4 cylinder. They had issues but that was also a first model year.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Got mine out of the shop Wednesday. New Def heater, New Def pump, New Nox sensors. I also had the rear end fluid and transmission fluid drained and new put in. In all it was $5600.00 out the door. I had Def heater and pump. The only thing left is the Dpf filter and Cadillac converter.

Last edited:

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
My honest opinion I don't think the 4cylinder are better than the 6cylinder. Just better on the fuel mileage