Sprinter EGR valve, again!

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
With more Sprinters being run out there, I think it would be good to get an update on the most common problem with them: EGR valves. I have 50+ thousand on my 08 and replaced the valve (under warranty) at 20 thousand. My idiot light has come back on and I'm told my EGR is looking for replacement again. I intend to keep running it until I must replace it even though it's still under warranty. From experience I know that I can expect a sudden decrease in power - but shutting off the engine and turning back on will reset the valve and the engine will run fine for days. Problem will get increasingly worse, and that is when it gets replaced. Cost if not under warranty to me is approx. $600. When not under warranty that's when I'll have a spare "cleaned" one that I can swap out. Cause of problem as stated in past threads is idling - which for me is a big problem whereas I sometime idle 8-12-18 hours! I have a factory high idle option and if I am stopped for even minutes I put it on, engine idles at 1500rpms. But still - EGR has carboned up. Anyone have any new info on this problem, any new EGR cleaning tips?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you post or PM me, what oil are you using and where do you get most of your fuel.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
As I understand it, unless it's the Mobil 1 5w40 ESP low-ash oil, you are using the incorrect oil for the vehicle - may cause problems with the DPF (diesel particulate filter) .... dunno if it could cause troubles with the EGR ....

I own an older Sprinter ('06 T1N) and I'm really not up on the issues associated with the newer ('07 and up) NCV3 Sprinters ... but I have heard that there are EGR issues with the newer ones .....

Doktor A would probably be a good one to talk to this: [email protected]

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jack, you should make sure your oil is MB229.51 approved. From what I have learned so far, the additive package in more common diesel oil is a problem for the MB v-6. In the 2007 models MB 228.31 oil was listed as OK for that engine, but for 2008 and up the 228.31 was NOT approved. Most 228.31 oils were also CJ-4, 229.51 oils are not. My contacts at Castrol mentioned to me about the possibility of the additives in most CJ-4 diesel oils actually causing a sludge problem in this motor. That seemed odd to me but the more I read about the 229.51 spec the more I believe it. It would appear that the 229.51 oil is required for reasons beyond the DPF. 229.51 oil is not easy to find. The Mobil RLent mentions is available, I've used it and have switched to a Valvoline product that is 229.51 approved (the Mobil seemed to burn off a quart the Valvoline doesn't seem to). Either way, check the Mobil you are buying, Wally World is not nessicarly selling the latest version, the older (last years) Turbo Truck Mobil 1 is not DPF friendly that's for sure.

Might want to try the new oil........

Last edited:

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
Thank you guys, new there would be info out there. Will followup on this, the oil I am using is Mobil 1, 5W-40, Turbo Diesel Truck and was recommended by the dealer(?). Thanks again.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
Checked with Sprinter, Mobil 1, and my dealer; All agree that Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 is the only oil recommended. If not used, owner can expect trouble with EGR valve. Again, thanks everyone for your feedback.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is a 229.3 oil, and should not be used in an '08 Sprinter. Unfortunately, not all Sprinter dealers are up to speed on many things.

One thing is for certain, when it comes to the Sprinter's bodily fluids, always stick to the list. If it's not on the list, don't use it. Here's a partial list of MB 229.51 oils, most of which are not available in the US. Go to the bottom of the page:
Mercedes-Benz Engine Oil Recommendations

Couple of FAQ & A from the Mobile Web site:

Question: Can Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck be Used in Place of Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40? The owner's manual calls for Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 oil, which is hard to find locally. I can readily find Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40, which says on the label that it is "recommended for virtually all diesel-powered equipment from U.S., European and Japanese equipment builders. . ." But, nowhere is Daimler Chrysler mentioned on the label. I compared the properties specs for both. There are some differences. Is the Turbo Diesel Truck oil of equal or better quality than the ESP Formula? If I use the Turbo Diesel and have a problem with the engine later, would Mercedes have a basis to claim that I used an inferior grade oil to that demanded in their MB 229.51 spec? Thanks.-- Marvin Vanhise, Lawrenceville, NJ

Answer: You should use the MB 229.51 recommended product.

Question: Any Plans to Introduce a Low Ash Oil in the US?Any plans to introduce a low ash oil such as Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 to the US market? If not, why not?-- Peter Lettang, Laguna Niguel, CA
spacer.gif

Answer: The only low ash oil we currently market in the US is sold at Mercedes-Benz dealers. It is Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 and it meets MB specification 229.51.

Getting the oil at a Mercedes-Benz dealer may very well be cheaper than getting it at a Sprinter dealer. Europarts of San Diego probably has it the cheapest, however.