Sprinter and Cargo Van Loads Please help me

Bistrohod

Rookie Expediter
I figured the fixed costs to be the vehicle, insurance,and owners base salary.

If I could book $180,000 plus to a $printer
A) there'd be no O/Os involved. I'd be loading MY fleet.
B) I wouldn't be recruiting a newbie. I'd have a waiting list that would make John Elliott envious.
No offense, is this dispatcher's name Barnum or Bailey ?

This Barnum and Bailey fellows you speak of, are they hiring? ;)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
At FedEx and Panther, the checks show up. That's pretty important in my book.
Also, insurance costs are quite different between running your own freight and leasing to a carrier..

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The dispatcher I've been recommended can take 10%, her Sprinters gross $15,000/month with O/O taking in $5,000 net monthly, that includes paying for brand new Sprinter with insurance. This sound right to anyone?

The unicorn transfer biz does pay well.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Bistrohod

Rookie Expediter
The unicorn transfer biz does pay well.

Not too far fetched. Think about it, if at FedExCC you can haul in $90k gross in North East and that is technically working for someone as an IC at .85 cpm. If these people are doing it on their own and have their customers base and lanes, it is possible (?), especially when they are taking loads coast to coast and Canada, some of their freight isn't cheap, like plane parts for jets, I assume they charge those a lot more then normal.

Ok so some months are slow, so the $15,000 gross/$5,000net per month maybe the best months, I should have asked what the lowest or average is.

Last edited:

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
Are there really sprinter drivers actually grossing 15,000 dollars a month? If so, I'd love to see the proof. I don't know what dispatch company you've been talking to, but I doubt there are drivers making that much money in sprinter vans. That is unless you're leased on to, Load One. I'm guessing 6 to 8 k a month would be a more accurate figure. I plan in taking home 500 dollars a week after fuel expenses, road expenses, maintenance and vehicle replacement fund, insurance, and truck payment. If I can't at least net 500 dollars a week to the house after expenses then being on the road won't even be worth the time and effort!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
No, there are not. Maybe one month out of the year but certainly not averaging $15,000 a month, every month...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No, there are not. Maybe one month out of the year but certainly not averaging $15,000 a month, every month...

we used to be around the 12k per month figure....before the big expansion to make things better..:rolleyes:..used to have a couple 3k weeks, at least one 4k week and maybe a 2 k week. Now we jump for joy to break 2k....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
of course all numbers quoted are approximate and may vary depending greatly on the O/O's work habits and the luck ratio....:)

Bistrohod

Rookie Expediter
Are there really sprinter drivers actually grossing 15,000 dollars a month? If so, I'd love to see the proof. I don't know what dispatch company you've been talking to, but I doubt there are drivers making that much money in sprinter vans. That is unless you're leased on to, Load One. I'm guessing 6 to 8 k a month would be a more accurate figure. I plan in taking home 500 dollars a week after fuel expenses, road expenses, maintenance and vehicle replacement fund, insurance, and truck payment. If I can't at least net 500 dollars a week to the house after expenses then being on the road won't even be worth the time and effort!

Wow!
I noticed you are in California, where abouts? Everyone says California is very difficult to make it now.

of course all numbers quoted are approximate and may vary depending greatly on the O/O's work habits and the luck ratio....:)

+1

If these guys are running their own, cutting out the dispatchers and everyone in the middle, are very aggressive then maybe it is plausible? Like I said earlier if running for FedEx can gross $90k a year, FedEx doesn't work for free, they take their 40% so $90,000 + 40% = $126,000 gross. Plus FedEx has to ensure that all drivers get loads so that would be a cap too, otherwise drivers could be getting more miles, morel loads, and hence more money.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow!
I noticed you are in California, where abouts? Everyone says California is very difficult to make it now.

+1

If these guys are running their own, cutting out the dispatchers and everyone in the middle, are very aggressive then maybe it is plausible? Like I said earlier if running for FedEx can gross $90k a year, FedEx doesn't work for free, they take their 40% so $90,000 + 40% = $126,000 gross. Plus FedEx has to ensure that all drivers get loads so that would be a cap too, otherwise drivers could be getting more miles, morel loads, and hence more money.

Sir...anything is possible....life tends to get in the way.....weather, shippers, receivers, family obligations....and especially breakdowns....guaranteed you won't keep up that pace if presented to you....Even when the wife and I were a team....after 3 weeks of non stop go-go-go....we just had to break it off and take a time out....it wears ya down, mentally and physically....you are not a machine....

do the math...168 hours in a week @ average 50 mph = 8600 miles....even at a $1.00 = $8600 a week....and that is Non stop action....and that is assuming all miles are paid at that rate...

Bistrohod

Rookie Expediter
Sir...anything is possible....life tends to get in the way.....weather, shippers, receivers, family obligations....and especially breakdowns....guaranteed you won't keep up that pace if presented to you....Even when the wife and I were a team....after 3 weeks of non stop go-go-go....we just had to break it off and take a time out....it wears ya down, mentally and physically....you are not a machine....

do the math...168 hours in a week @ average 50 mph = 8600 miles....even at a $1.00 = $8600 a week....and that is Non stop action....and that is assuming all miles are paid at that rate...

There is no need for 8,600 miles.
3,500 miles/week * $1.00 = $3,500/week * 4 = $14,000 gross.
That is only 500 miles per day. Maybe one or two days are waiting, but because they are setting their own rates on freight it's not as low as $1.00 either. So makes sense.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is no need for 8,600 miles.
3,500 miles/week * $1.00 = $3,500/week * 4 = $14,000 gross.
That is only 500 miles per day. Maybe one or two days are waiting, but because they are setting their own rates on freight it's not as low as $1.00 either. So makes sense.

as I said....anything is possible....this IS expedite....sometime one makes their own BUSY.....:)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not too far fetched. Think about it, if at FedExCC you can haul in $90k gross in North East and that is technically working for someone as an IC at .85 cpm. If these people are doing it on their own and have their customers base and lanes, it is possible (?), especially when they are taking loads coast to coast and Canada, some of their freight isn't cheap, like plane parts for jets, I assume they charge those a lot more then normal.

Ok so some months are slow, so the $15,000 gross/$5,000net per month maybe the best months, I should have asked what the lowest or average is.

You need to remember the recruiter told you this, have you seen proof or is it just blind trust? He is probably telling you what top drivers earned and remember the fed also limits how far vans drive a day. One day you might have a 600 mile load the next day a 90 mile load. Just my opinion but except in the most extreme case a van is not going to gross 150. When considering this biz figure expenses high and average income low. Its better to be surprised than disappointed.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Xiggi, nobody at FedEx is telling him the $120,000-$180,000.
That's the no-name independent opportunity.
The FedEx guy is probably spot on with his $50,-$55,000 gross with an extreme high of $90,000. Just a guess.

I've got to pay attention to this stuff. I'm close to retirement. Is a van in my future ??

Bistrohod

Rookie Expediter
You need to remember the recruiter told you this, have you seen proof or is it just blind trust? He is probably telling you what top drivers earned and remember the fed also limits how far vans drive a day. One day you might have a 600 mile load the next day a 90 mile load. Just my opinion but except in the most extreme case a van is not going to gross 150. When considering this biz figure expenses high and average income low. Its better to be surprised than disappointed.

I hear you xiggi, I think this is one of those cream of the top extreme cases. The thing is there is no recruiter, I'm the one harassing them to let me in, they don't really want to because it's just a one family thing. I'm begging them to take me on a % for dispatch to them... baking fresh cookies just in case.

Bistrohod

Rookie Expediter
Xiggi, nobody at FedEx is telling him the $120,000-$180,000.
That's the no-name independent opportunity.
The FedEx guy is probably spot on with his $50,-$55,000 gross with an extreme high of $90,000. Just a guess.

I've got to pay attention to this stuff. I'm close to retirement. Is a van in my future ??

Yes, Zorry paid attention to the details. FedEx is the 50-90K, the high number is the slim no name opportunity.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand that completely. Personally grossed over 90 this year but slacked off the last quarter or could have done better. The first three quarters I was almost always in service.