Spicer Transmission Replacement?

ChuckWVP

Expert Expediter
I have just one more question for now. I'm looking at one truck that has the infamous Spicer transmission, and I know what a piece of junk that transmission is. However, everything else on this truck is perfect and it has been really cared for. So far, the transmission is still working fine too. However, I would not buy this truck without knowing before hand the feasibility of replacing the Spicer. What are good replacement transmissions and approximate costs of doing the change-over? Would the Eaton 6 speed auto-shift work? Any others? Thanks!

Chuck

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Eaton auto shift is expensive and not very durable. Rebuilt Spicers are plentiful and relatively cheap. Check the vin number with the dealer, freightliner, kenworth, etc. for the history on the trans. You might have a good one there or one that has just been gone thru. If you drive the trans sensibly, it will hold up. Abuse will destroy any of the medium duty trans.

ChuckWVP

Expert Expediter
Thanks Glen for your advice. Sounds reasonable and I just may have to give this unit the benefit of the doubt. All maintenance records are available to me and this truck seems to have been treated very well. The owner tells me that, so far, he has had no problems with the transmission.

Chuck

Jimmy

Expert Expediter
Hey,
You might want to check out a Truck Pro truck parts store if you have one near you.They are carrying the Spicer & most other brands now & can have you one in a few days if not in stock.They might be easiest & cheapest way to go. Jimmy

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We had a 7 speed spicer some years ago in a FL70 and it went to around 500,000 when we sold it. Never had any issues with it. It was the direct type transmission. (No sychro). Only downside was new folks had a hard time getting use to it.

G

I had a Intl. 4900 with that piece of garbage in it and replaced it with a KILLER Fuller 10 speed!!! Careful!! If you HAVE an overdrive, be sure the new 10 speed is too or you'll be replacing the rear end, to go the same speed!!!!!!!!

REMEMBER ----------- FULLER. IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!