Spicer 7 speed.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Im looking at a straight truck it has a 285hp cummins and a 7speed spicer.I was wondering if someone out there could give me some input on these trans....I like cummins motors and have not had any problems with them but i have not had one with a spicer trans..Thanks

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I recall last year that there was a driver trying to organize a class action suit regarding the Spicer 7 Speed. If I remember right, this tranny has a horrible reputation. When I was looking for a truck last year, the Catapilar dealer near my home suggeted that I pass on any trucks with this transmission. Just hang on. I am sure other drivers will respond.

Drive Safe

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
well guys i held out and found a Western Star it has a 335hp C10 and its got a Fuller Trans....Now the ? is how are the C10 motors....Thansk

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Cat C10 is an excellent, fuel effecient highway engine. It is basically an electronic fuel injected version of the old 3306. You will like the C10, and it should serve you well if you take care of it. It's not a throw-away like the 3126.
As for the 7 speed Spicer. Notice it was made for 2 years then discontinued? I think every single one of those little pieces of garbage blew up when upshifting from 4 to 5. It has to qualify as one of the worst things in the world.
-Weave-

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Thanks Weave for the info...I tried and tried to find exactly what i want..And i will tell you what when your looking to buy a used truck you can find them all over...But when you start picking what motor,Trans,etc the picking gets really slim...Luckily the guy who owns this seen my wanted ad and called me..Thanks EO

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
Those Fuller 7 speeds are great city rigs.They are geared just right for city traffic and speeds. Yellow,and most of the big company use them for the city trucks. If I get loads into the hills or mountains I'll want a 10 plus spd tranny.

Life is what happens to you while your busy makeing other plans.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
weave you have got me scared now. my D unit has one of those tranny's in it(2000 fl70 w/ 285 cummins)we have 66000 miles on it and no problems yet. if and when the day comes that it detonates on us, what kind of expense are we looking at to change to another transmission? and is it possible to change from a 7 speed to an automatic transmission?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The 7 speed Spicer used in older class 8 tractors, etc is NOT the same one used in 1999-2000 FL70/80's, which is the WORST THING IN THE WORLD! If the stick bops back and forth when the tranny is in neutral, it is gonna blow up. What it has generally done is blown up on it's 4 to 5 upshift, and loves to throw parts right through its outer casing. The thing sucks. It costs $3500-4K to rebuild, then blows up again, in many cases. It's just too small! Cheapest and best retrofit is an Eaton 6 speed synchro, such as Eaton 6603 or 6703, which require very few mods to retrofit, and both work well, and can be found at a lot of truck scrap yards for little $. They will raise the cruise RPM about 500 or so, so fuel mileage will suffer, but they last a long time without any major investment. An auto retrofit to an Allison or such requires a lot of major changes, many more than an FL70 is really worth tackling on.
-Weave-

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
YES, THE 7-SPEED IS JUNK. I BOUGHT MY TRUCK, A 99 FL70 IN DECEMBER 1999. I DID NOT KNOW WHAT I WAS BUYING. IT WAS MY FIRST TRUCK PURCHASE. ANY WAY, OCTOBER OF 2000 IT HAD TO BE REBUILT IN MILWAUKEE, STILL UNDER WARRANTY, THANK GOD, REBUILT MAY 2001 AGAIN, AND TOTALLY DEAD MAY 2002. HAD TO BUY NEW ONE. WOULD HAVE LIKED TO GO WITH EATON AT THE TIME BUT DIDNT HAVE THE EXTRA 2K AND TIME NEEDED TO GET IT. HOWEVER I DID FIND OUT THAT YOU CAN GET TRUCK PARTS MUCH CHEAPER AT TRUCKPRO THEAN GETTING THEM FROM FREIGHTLINER. THEY SAID THE NEW TRANNY WOULD BE $4500, AND I GOT IT FROM TRUCKPRO FOR $3100.