Some Company Training Programs Fail Us All

logisticscom

Not a Member
From Truckers Had Enough E-Mag Edition:

To all the CARRIERS that have TRAINING PROGRAMS.

YOU HAVE FAILED OUR INDUSTRY MISERABLY !!

The picture shown below reflect just the last few days from different parts of the Country.

Since the Department of Transportation is also to blame for this OUT OF CONTROL so called Safety Laws and giving out subsidies for each student that passes through your program . ..YOU AS CARRIERS need to ENSURE these NEW folks coming into our industry that you're providing them with the BEST TRAINERS POSSIBLE !! with a proven success of more than 6 years experience and PAY THEM WELL FOR DOING IT.

Putting them with someone with less than 3 years OTR and Mountain experience is a set up for FAILURE and is shown below and all over our interstate system.

As Industry professionals WE are the ONLY ONES that can fix the problems pictured.

We Are TRUCKERS HAD ENOUGH. ..and WE have approved THIS MESSAGE !!

11844150_984522938236221_211617793_n.jpg

Would love to hear some input on the various training programs of carriers and what requirements there are for the actual trainers. I am sure we have all heard some wild stories.
The being made here - the government and have all the regulations they want, but, only those of us in the actual industry can change it and clean it up.

Reactions: neilblack

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
m concern is the higher speed limit silliness going on right now....how many can really handle these speeds safely? especially in the skid control area and braking!......which should be a mandatory part of any driver training...IMO

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
m concern is the higher speed limit silliness going on right now....how many can really handle these speeds safely? especially in the skid control area and braking!......which should be a mandatory part of any driver training...IMO

You should see them in Western TX, while you drive 80 MPH (for the folks that don't know, that's the speed limit), some big rigs are passing you like a hurricane...

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How do you know it was from training that caused the accident. I've see O/O trucks in accidents like that.

Stop trying to blame these accidents on training.
If you fall asleep at the wheel it's not traing that caused you to fall asleep it was the driver for not stopping and taking a nap.

You see, no one can stop stupid drivers from being stupid.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I went through truck driving school in 2001, then trained with a local driver for 2 weeks, I was then sent out on the road with a pat on the back. I had to go up and down my first mountain all by myself. It was the grapevine out in California. I went up in 6th gear and went back down the hill in sixth gear. They taught us to employ stab breaking and to keep the truck rolling at your safe speed. I would brake then allow the truck to roll downhill with the Jake brake engaged, then use the brakes again when my speed went over 35 mph. This is how they taught me to go down the hills. They taught me to go down the hill in the same gear, or one gear lower than you went up the hill in, and then to maintain a constant safe speed. By only using the brakes intermittently, you avoid riding them and causing your trailer brakes to burn up and catch on fire.

There were other times when I drove my truck like a cocky 22 year old, and looking back at those times, I thank god that I'm still alive. I had no idea how bad things could have been if my load ever shifted. I used to haul huge roles of paper for Kimberly Clark. These rolls of paper made my truck top heavy. I was just thrown to the wolves! It all ended up good for me as I never go into any accidents, nor did I ever tear up another truck while backing up or parking. Backing the trailer is all about the set up, the serpentine back! But there are some people who are definitely not ready to go out on their own after a short period of over the road training. This kind of stuff if exactly what you're going to get when you refuse to hire and pay good drivers what they're worth. I'm not surprised in the least!

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not so much that speed is the problem. Discourteous selfish people seemingly everywhere out here is the problem. On the German autobahn you don't have individuals intentionally tying up traffic.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan