Solo Straight Truck Driver?

Jedidad

Active Expediter
Researching
Hi folks,

I was wondering if I could get your insight on solo straight truck driving. Is this a viable option? Do you get plenty of decent loads? Are any companies/owners even hiring solos? (The recruiters I've contacted are only looking for teams).

Another question: How does a solo driver with no OTR experience break into the business? I've got experience driving military vehicles back in the day such as deuce and a half, M48 and M60 tanks and various others. Just no OTR driving.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: TeamHutch

Bako12thMan

New Recruit
Driver
US Navy
Solos don't make near as much as teams in expiditing, but some folks prefer the whole truck to yourself. As far as being viable, it depends on the company you contract with and how you select the loads you accept. It can be done, but you won't get rich. You'll be limited to 500 or less per load.

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
I run both.. if you're solo don't expect to have much of a regular sleep schedule. You'll get your 10 off but then be awake for awhile and nap again and awake and get a load.
My solo's runs range from a bunch of shorties to 2000 mile runs that he gets a few days to a finish. I will basically send my trucks anywhere so they go. I've gotten team loads with more time into them simply because no team was there to take it. I've seen long solo runs with time in them and denied because they wanted a team anyway.
One of my solos did 2500 loaded last week. This week he's at about 1100 with this weekend to go.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another question: How does a solo driver with no OTR experience break into the business? I've got experience driving military vehicles back in the day such as deuce and a half, M48 and M60 tanks and various others. Just no OTR driving.

Thanks in advance.

As far as breaking into the business, if you haven't already, check out the drivers wanted section in the EO classifieds. Also, you can call recruiters at the carrier of your choice and ask if they know of any owners looking for straight truck drivers. They may be able to get you in touch with some.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi folks,

I was wondering if I could get your insight on solo straight truck driving. Is this a viable option? Do you get plenty of decent loads? Are any companies/owners even hiring solos? (The recruiters I've contacted are only looking for teams).

Thanks in advance.

Expedite Expo - Expedite Expo 2016 - What's in it for YOU!
Expedite Expo 2016 - What's in it for YOU!

Reactions: Lawrence

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance.
first look into a driving school

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
With no exp. your only option is a van,and even that is ify.a driving school is where you want to start if you want to get into trucking,you can look into a gov. grant for payment options.

Reactions: Mailer

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can go on as a team for 6 months and get some experience. Plus you can learn some of the ins and outs.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
first look into a driving school
With no exp. your only option is a van,and even that is ify.a driving school is where you want to start if you want to get into trucking,you can look into a gov. grant for payment options.

Good info. Day of the Deuce and a Half, M48 and 60 that would most likely be in the late '70 or early '80.

I was going to say use the GI Bill benefits to get the CDL training. But looks like it has expired. Check with the VA anyway, there might still be something for the Vet.

Jedidad

Active Expediter
Researching
How recent was your military driving experience and what have you been doing since ??
That was in the early '80s. I was a civilian contractor on an Army base. The last 17 years I've been driving a desk as a systems, network and security administrator, most recently as a Cybersecurity Engineer as a contractor with the Federal Government in a windowless building.

17 years of staring at a computer screen. I'm over it. I gotta get out and about. :)

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
Interesting. I was trying to get into Cyber Security, but giving up on it. The requirements for experience are ridiculous plus the expensive certifications.

Jedidad

Active Expediter
Researching
Interesting. I was trying to get into Cyber Security, but giving up on it. The requirements for experience are ridiculous plus the expensive certifications.
I'm trying to get out and you're trying to get in. The grass is always greener on the other side, right? :)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
how much per mile should i be getting for solo str.truck .? the owner pays for everything
That varies widely by the company, the size vehicle you're driving, what split the owner is offering, etc.

Not enough info to give you that answer.