Socialized medicine is a done deal

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't suggest that you know me well enough to make that statement. Just in case you were wondering, those who own that store up the road are Iraqi Christians.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I don't suggest that you know me well enough to make that statement.
I'm sure I don't know you well enough to say that you probably couldn't tell the difference - which is the precise reason why I said "possibly yourself" .....

Just in case you were wondering, those who own that store up the road are Iraqi Christians.
I wasn't wondering - and I really wasn't looking for an answer from you to my original question - which was the reason I quoted Poorboy - I was asking him, since it was him that originally made the comment.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Oh to be perfect. Presumably it would be nice.
I'm sure I wouldn't know .... however I would hope that I possess at least enough intelligence and common sense to avoid attacking unarmed, lost Greek Orthodox priests and beating them about the head with a tire iron ..... :rolleyes:

Obviously, others among us don't .......

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe he received too harsh a pennence in confession? You know how those married priests can be when the wife is on them!! LOL!! :p

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
What I'm really curious about is how, exactly, you knew that they were from the Middle East ......

#-1 They Told me They were From Pakistan when they Opened up 2 Years ago, and #-2 When they Talk to each Other It's always in their Native Tongue!! :D

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Maybe he received too harsh a pennence in confession? You know how those married priests can be when the wife is on them!! LOL!!
I'm sure that the above is a very catchy comeback to something someone might, at some point, write ...... but I don't think it has been yet written in this thread ......

In any event, viewing a brutal criminal assault by a member of the armed forces of this nation on an unarmed civilian (indeed, a celibate priest) as something to be made light of, or trivialized, is in very poor taste, to say the least. But then good taste is a thing largely absent in these parts .....

It's certainly far, far worse act than pushing someone's video camera away when you don't want to be taped, and those doing the taping have been repeatedly asked by security to cease and desist, and leave the event .....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I really did not even watch it. I was just acting stupid, much like Tiger Woods. By the way, my mom was Greek Catholic. I was raised Roman Catholic. As to an assault by a member of our military, they are subject to acting out of control as most people. In some cases, if they had been in combat, MORE likely.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Pilgrim,
I did leave out a few things, one important issue is I did go through the steps of purchasing health care through BCBS in 2005 on my own, they accepted me and it was $450 for me with a rather good deductible. It included scripts and other essentials but it wasn't a group policy. The money wasn't there to support the monthly bill and it was still cheaper for me to pay out of pocket so I dropped the idea. If I had employees, I think five would have been enough for a price break, for individuals there would be something like 40% drop in the monthly cost. They didn't consider a group rate until I had 30 or more people who would have subscribed.

I understand where you are coming from but it wouldn't be a good thing to get congress or any government involved with this issue outside of forcing the states to harmonize the laws and allow competition across state lines. Tonight we discussed this very thing, some in the gruop were inside the insurance industry and explained that the number one reason why it won't happen is that each state derives revenue from the companies within their borders so if competition is allowed, it takes more revenue away from the state.

I think that many of the insurance companies would love to go to an ala carte policy, where you can opt out of some procedures, like abortion, fertility treaments and cosmetic surgery (all which actually cost a lot more than most realize and in many cases should not be paid for by any insurance company), in order to save money but that goes right back to the states who control this issue, not the feds.

Remember that once they get their mitts on this, it is going to be one mess. The government can't even do a consitutionally mandated thing right - run a war - so how can anyone expect them to do something right that effects so many people in so many different ways?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Oh to be perfect. Presumably it would be nice.

You imply that some tolerance should be displayed for this guy's behavior, [assaulting an innocent man who asked for help, and lying to the police], but the death penalty should be required for someone caught selling a few joints of marijuana?!
Just cannot understand the logic there....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't like the death penalty for any crime. I have no moral opposition to it but it is not a deterent and mistakes can and have happened. As to drug dealers, I lose little sleep when one of those leeches get wasted. Pot should be legal, that law is stupid. As to other drugs, I have mixed feelings. NO one should be excused for any crime that they commit. Be it a soldier who kills an innocent man, a gang banger that shoots up a street to protect his territory or car jacker that kills a kid.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
You imply that some tolerance should be displayed for this guy's behavior, [assaulting an innocent man who asked for help, and lying to the police], but the death penalty should be required for someone caught selling a few joints of marijuana?! Just cannot understand the logic there....
That's because there isn't any (logic) ..... it's all just emotion .... no actual reason involved.

It's Stars-n-Stripes, Mom, and apple pie juxtaposed against some mother-rapin, father-stabbin', criminal scum-of-the-Earth dope dealer ..... how's that make you feel ? (the ever popular question asked by journalists these days)

And not just some child - who is someone's kid - who sold his highschool buddies a joint ..... (yeeaah ..... hook'em up to Old Sparky ..... let 'em fry)

All while one of the mules .... errr .... I mean fleet, is probably haulin' a TVAL load of Big Pharma's latest designer dope ...... (but that's ok - it's medicine .... :rolleyes:)

The hypocrisy could be beyond the pale ..... ;)

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That has always been mankinds greatest struggles, to overcome emotion. It is not even possible. If you have no emotion you are not a healthy human. The idea is to control them as much as is reasonable.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
That has always been mankinds greatest struggles, to overcome emotion. It is not even possible. If you have no emotion you are not a healthy human.
That's true - it would, in fact, be unnatural ....

The idea is to control them as much as is reasonable.
Actually, the real idea is to never let emotions dictate your actions, or for that matter, your thoughts/thinking.

The use of reason and logic are far better things to operate off of, insomuch as one is able.

Some are, no doubt, more able than others.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My comment on perfection had nothing to do with the Marine tangent and certainly wasn't made out of emotion.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The Marine should receive a dishonorable and jail time for this assault, nothing less than a few years of hard labor. It is not becoming of any marine to do this and he is a disgrace to the uniform.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
My comment on perfection had nothing to do with the Marine tangent and certainly wasn't made out of emotion.
I was referring to your comments about punishment for drug dealers when I spoke about emotion.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's true - it would, in fact, be unnatural ....

Actually, the real idea is to never let emotions dictate your actions, or for that matter, your thoughts/thinking.

The use of reason and logic are far better things to operate off of, insomuch as one is able.

Some are, no doubt, more able than others.

That is what I meant by control, some are better than others, no one is perfect. It is likely not possible to reach that ideal, it the in the effort that we succeed. Reason and logic are subject to the beliefs of the individual. One mans logic is another's folly. One mans reason is another's ignorance.

Reason and logic are gained from experience and no two men ever have the same experience.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Well said.

That is what I meant by control, some are better than others, no one is perfect.
Indeed.

It is likely not possible to reach that ideal,
Perhaps ..... :D

it is the in the effort that we succeed.
Exactly.

Reason and logic are subject to the beliefs of the individual. One mans logic is another's folly. One mans reason is another's ignorance. Reason and logic are gained from experience and no two men ever have the same experience.
Couldn't have said it better myself.