Cargo Van So You Found a Less Expensive Progressive Policy?

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
This is a long one.

A little back ground first.

About 50% of our fleet is composed of "independent" cargo van owner operators. We require all of these independents to have an unlimited radius policy with $1,000,000 in liability and $100,000 in cargo that both will act as primary in the event of a claim. In addition to this they have to be with an agent that monitors the policy daily. To date, CIS is the only agent that has offered this service to us.

A couple weeks ago we had an owner op tell us that he had to find a new agent because CIS was gouging him. A couple of days later he contacted me and claimed that he found a new agent that got him the same Progressive policy at a fraction of the cost.

My interest got the better of me and I had to investigate... maybe CIS really was jacking up the price on their customers. So I told the owner op that I would investigate the policy and if everything checked out I would ask our insurer for a special exception for him.

Upon review of the certificate, everything seemed legit. Tenpoint listed as Additional Insured, $1,000,000 CSL, $100,000 Motor Trucking Cargo. Here is a snapshot of the actual certificate sent to me by the agent, sensitive information has been removed.

Seeing this, I naturally began to question CIS method's due to the large cost reduction that the owner op claimed. I am also thinking maybe the new agent lied on the cert, or the radius of operation has be drastically reduced.

I decided to follow up with Progressive directly. As additional insured I am able to get a little bit more information than what is on the certificate. The meat of the conversation went a little like this...

Me "Can you please tell me the coverage's on this policy?"

Progressive Agent "$1,000,000 liability and $100,000 cargo"

Me "And what is the radius of operation?"

Progressive Agent "Unlimited"

At this point I am thinking that CIS might actually be ripping of their owner operators. And then I asked one last question.

Me "And what is the business type indicated on the policy"

Progressive Agent "Trucking for hire - Debris Removal"

And there you have it folks. Removing "Expediter" from your business type will save you a boatload of money on your insurance.

Now, anybody with half of a brain knows that being incorrectly categorized on your insurance policy is a bad idea. I don't know if in these situations the owner op is lying to the agent to get a better price, or if the agent is knowingly reporting a false business type in order to get a lower rate and secure the business. To me, it doesn't really matter.

Anyways, curiosity got the best of me again. I reached out to Progressive, explained the situation and asked what would happen in the event of a claim on this policy. Here is the response.

Jim, in regards to your Debris removal coverage question, there are a few ways this scenario's that could play out. Of course, all of these are dependent upon what is found by Progressive on why the Policy is written incorrectly.

1) Claim may be denied due to fraud and misrepresentations in the application process. If the IC clarified the business type to his agent and can prove this in a suitable manner, Progressive would deny the claim, forcing the Insurance Agent's E&O Policy to come into play.
**However, clients (insured) are signing the application for insurance which lists the business type and other items used to accept the risk and rate the risk. This could be used as an out for the agent.

2) Depending on the loss and it's 'press' Progressive could pay the limits of Liability and subrogate the payment back to the insured for reimbursement due to a fraudulent application.

3) Progressive, with proper evidence, could completely deny the loss. Progressive would inevitably find out the insured was hauling for or operating under the business use of a Motor Carrier at time of loss and exclude and deny coverage. This would then allow the Lawyers to seek coverage from YOU the Motor Carrier who has the filing, that promise to the public would then trigger payment. And your current mandatory requirement for basically a "deductible amount" of $1 million auto liability and $100K cargo would place liability to that amount on you. This underlying coverage for each IC is very important to be correct and pay as needed in the event of an auto liability or cargo loss to policy limits.

It is the duty and responsibility of the Motor Carrier under any insurance program to maintain, verify and monitor the coverage for ALL ICs, drivers & vehicles operating for their business use at all times. IC's gaming insurance companies ultimately can cause uncovered claims for them, and in this case more important, impact you and your freight partners.

So, all of this said...

I would love to hear from the owner operators with this kind of cheaper Progressive policy. Do you know that you are listed incorrectly, or did your agent sell you a bad policy? Are you willing to take the risk and plead ignorance in the event of a claim? If your carrier doesn't follow up with all of the other owner ops policies and somebody else has a big claim that takes the carrier down, are you willing to part with the $2-$3000 or more that the carrier owes you at any given time?

I would also love to hear from the carriers allowing these policies and the brokers feeding them. Are you just going to plead ignorance in the event of a claim?

And lastly I would love to hear from the agents. How many are knowingly doing this? Do you throw the owner op under the bus when s*** hits the fan?

We have since added the "Trucking for Hire - Expediter" to our growing list of requirements.

:dash2::dash2::dash2::dash2:

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoli and jelliott

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
About 50% of our fleet is composed of "independent" cargo van owner operators. We require all of these independents to purchase their insurance policies through CIS.
I see why you have :independent" in quotes, because they're not independent contractors at all.

The one immutable truth of an employee is:
  1. A worker is an employee if the institution has the right to control the manner and means of accomplishing the result desired.
Requiring an independent contractor to purchase insurance from a specific insurance agency is, without question, controlling the manner and means of accomplishing the desired result.

I'm just sayin'...

Reactions: jjtdrv4u

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
I see what you're saying Turt, and I apologize for dumbing it down... What I really require is them to have an unlimited radius policy with $1,000,000 in liability and $100,000 in cargo that both will act as primary in the event of a claim. In addition to this they have to be with an agent that monitors the policy daily. Find me another agent that does this and I will happily bring them aboard. At one point I had an agent agreement that I would send to potential agents to sign saying that they would monitor the coverage. Only one agent that I ever sent it to signed it, and when I followed up on the Progressive policy a week later he had the radius at 100 miles. This was over two years ago and I don't even bother any more unless it is requested.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I fully understand the desire to want CIS, for the well-known obvious reasons. It's the word "required" that stuck out like a sore thumb there.

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
Haha, you are definitely correct. I will change it up, CIS is not "required" per our contract... just the services that (to the best of my knowledge) are unique to CIS in order to protect our company and the stake holders.

Well, I edited and it doesn't have the same ring to it but oh well.

Last edited:

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
CIS asked me for $20000/yr for one single unit (for the same coverage as mentioned above). Progressive did cut the price in half. Even if it's cheaper than CIS, no way that I would pay that much for an ins. policy.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Agents make a set commision on insurance policies from the insurance carrier generally. They don't actually get to "mark the policy up". So if two different agents are quoting you a different rate on the "same" progressive policy, it is not the "same" progressive policy.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
This is a long one.

A little back ground first.

About 50% of our fleet is composed of "independent" cargo van owner operators. We require all of these independents to have an unlimited radius policy with $1,000,000 in liability and $100,000 in cargo that both will act as primary in the event of a claim. In addition to this they have to be with an agent that monitors the policy daily. To date, CIS is the only agent that has offered this service to us.

A couple weeks ago we had an owner op tell us that he had to find a new agent because CIS was gouging him. A couple of days later he contacted me and claimed that he found a new agent that got him the same Progressive policy at a fraction of the cost.

My interest got the better of me and I had to investigate... maybe CIS really was jacking up the price on their customers. So I told the owner op that I would investigate the policy and if everything checked out I would ask our insurer for a special exception for him.

Upon review of the certificate, everything seemed legit. Tenpoint listed as Additional Insured, $1,000,000 CSL, $100,000 Motor Trucking Cargo. Here is a snapshot of the actual certificate sent to me by the agent, sensitive information has been removed.

Seeing this, I naturally began to question CIS method's due to the large cost reduction that the owner op claimed. I am also thinking maybe the new agent lied on the cert, or the radius of operation has be drastically reduced.

I decided to follow up with Progressive directly. As additional insured I am able to get a little bit more information than what is on the certificate. The meat of the conversation went a little like this...

Me "Can you please tell me the coverage's on this policy?"

Progressive Agent "$1,000,000 liability and $100,000 cargo"

Me "And what is the radius of operation?"

Progressive Agent "Unlimited"

At this point I am thinking that CIS might actually be ripping of their owner operators. And then I asked one last question.

Me "And what is the business type indicated on the policy"

Progressive Agent "Trucking for hire - Debris Removal"

And there you have it folks. Removing "Expediter" from your business type will save you a boatload of money on your insurance.

Now, anybody with half of a brain knows that being incorrectly categorized on your insurance policy is a bad idea. I don't know if in these situations the owner op is lying to the agent to get a better price, or if the agent is knowingly reporting a false business type in order to get a lower rate and secure the business. To me, it doesn't really matter.

Anyways, curiosity got the best of me again. I reached out to Progressive, explained the situation and asked what would happen in the event of a claim on this policy. Here is the response.

Jim, in regards to your Debris removal coverage question, there are a few ways this scenario's that could play out. Of course, all of these are dependent upon what is found by Progressive on why the Policy is written incorrectly.

1) Claim may be denied due to fraud and misrepresentations in the application process. If the IC clarified the business type to his agent and can prove this in a suitable manner, Progressive would deny the claim, forcing the Insurance Agent's E&O Policy to come into play.
**However, clients (insured) are signing the application for insurance which lists the business type and other items used to accept the risk and rate the risk. This could be used as an out for the agent.

2) Depending on the loss and it's 'press' Progressive could pay the limits of Liability and subrogate the payment back to the insured for reimbursement due to a fraudulent application.

3) Progressive, with proper evidence, could completely deny the loss. Progressive would inevitably find out the insured was hauling for or operating under the business use of a Motor Carrier at time of loss and exclude and deny coverage. This would then allow the Lawyers to seek coverage from YOU the Motor Carrier who has the filing, that promise to the public would then trigger payment. And your current mandatory requirement for basically a "deductible amount" of $1 million auto liability and $100K cargo would place liability to that amount on you. This underlying coverage for each IC is very important to be correct and pay as needed in the event of an auto liability or cargo loss to policy limits.

It is the duty and responsibility of the Motor Carrier under any insurance program to maintain, verify and monitor the coverage for ALL ICs, drivers & vehicles operating for their business use at all times. IC's gaming insurance companies ultimately can cause uncovered claims for them, and in this case more important, impact you and your freight partners.

So, all of this said...

I would love to hear from the owner operators with this kind of cheaper Progressive policy. Do you know that you are listed incorrectly, or did your agent sell you a bad policy? Are you willing to take the risk and plead ignorance in the event of a claim? If your carrier doesn't follow up with all of the other owner ops policies and somebody else has a big claim that takes the carrier down, are you willing to part with the $2-$3000 or more that the carrier owes you at any given time?

I would also love to hear from the carriers allowing these policies and the brokers feeding them. Are you just going to plead ignorance in the event of a claim?

And lastly I would love to hear from the agents. How many are knowingly doing this? Do you throw the owner op under the bus when s*** hits the fan?

We have since added the "Trucking for Hire - Expediter" to our growing list of requirements.

:dash2::dash2::dash2::dash2:

This is a HUGE problem in our industry. Many of the insurance carriers don't even write "Trucking for Hire" policies.

As a partner carrier and broker we have no way to monitor the policies that are in place on the trucks actually hauling the freight when the owner operator is providing the supposed coverage. The carriers insurance certificate is not the actual primary coverage like many will claim.

This is a HUGE reason that we as a company will not deal with the majority of carriers running the multi-carrier model. We have no system to see and verify any coverage or proper coverage on the vehicle.

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
John is 100% correct.

Opel - I have never heard of a rate that high from Progressive. There must be a problem on the driving record or loss history. If you still have the policy I would be more than willing to review it with Progressive to find why there was such a price difference.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
John is 100% correct.

Opel - I have never heard of a rate that high from Progressive. There must be a problem on the driving record or loss history. If you still have the policy I would be more than willing to review it with Progressive to find why there was such a price difference.

2 years ago I got quoted 24k a year from progressive for 1mil liability and 100k cargo.that was when i was under 25. Clean record! no accidents no tickets.

I do have messed up credit tho, that plus age was their reason for such a high premium...

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As we can see from all of the gaming going on out there, most drivers can't be trusted to purchase and maintain their own insurance policies. What I don't understand for companies like Tenpoint is why do you continue to make your drivers purchase their own insurance policies when they are not allowed to work with other carriers? You should be providing your drivers with Liability and Cargo insurance and your drivers should only have to pay for bobtail coverage. You need to step up to the plate and do what all of the lager carriers do and pay for the Cargo and Liability insurance. Then you won't have to worry about monitoring your drivers and whether or not they are making changes to their policies in the middle of the night. The only reason for a driver to pay for his own insurance is so that he can choose to work with as many companies as possible. I would never pay for Liability and Cargo insurance if I was being forced to work with one company. Why not lease your van on with one of the larger more reputable companies who can get you the miles you need, pay you on time, and provide you with the proper insurance.

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
As we can see from all of the gaming going on out there, most drivers can't be trusted to purchase and maintain their own insurance policies. What I don't understand for companies like Tenpoint is why do you continue to make your drivers purchase their own insurance policies when they are not allowed to work with other carriers? You should be providing your drivers with Liability and Cargo insurance and your drivers should only have to pay for bobtail coverage. You need to step up to the plate and do what all of the lager carriers do and pay for the Cargo and Liability insurance. Then you won't have to worry about monitoring your drivers and whether or not they are making changes to their policies in the middle of the night. The only reason for a driver to pay for his own insurance is so that he can choose to work with as many companies as possible. I would never pay for Liability and Cargo insurance if I was being forced to work with one company. Why not lease your van on with one of the larger more reputable companies who can get you the miles you need, pay you on time, and provide you with the proper insurance.

For the owner ops who run exclusive with Tenpoint, we do provide the Liability and Cargo insurance and in most cases do not charge anything back to the owner ops. The owner ops who provide their own liability and cargo insurance are free to work with other carriers if they choose. Although, I will say that our numbers of independents has shortened significantly and we are no longer recruiting for them.

Anyhow, enough about Tenpoint. I was really hoping to hear some opinions from the under insured owner ops and carriers. Maybe they just don't read this forum...
:flykite:

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
And once again CIS is there with an answer and the ability to always do the rite thing !:clapping-happy:!

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
And once again CIS is there with an answer and the ability to always do the rite thing !:clapping-happy:!
We have CIS. Struck a deer. Called CIS. Their reply was call Progressive and file a claim. I'm like no :censoredsign:. So that's what ya get for the extra premium cost?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was really hoping to hear some opinions from the under insured owner ops and carriers. Maybe they just don't read this forum...
I don't think very many, if any, underinsured owner/operators or the carriers who allow them to run loads, are going to post any "Look at me, I'm skirting the rules!" replies on this.

Reactions: jelliott

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Cis is a broker like most insurance sales they don't pay anything out however they should step up and help if it's needed. My 48' trailer was broken into in my shops lot and stolen was over 20 grand of gear , I called my agent he called the insuring company and a claim was files I got a check for the full amount in less than 45 days ( had to wait on sheriff report to them confirming it. I thought that was great service! Not progressive by the way! I have 3 vehicles insured for 1 mil liability,cargo for 300k unlimited radius no violations or accidents costs me 8000 a year that also includes full protection for my business liability fire and theft full value depreciation isn't taken, I am happy with them my business liability coverage is 3 million. It's a good deal think bundle bundle bundle......

Last edited: