Cargo Van So many "nice" people you meet along the way

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
After being in this business for 6 years and meeting lots of people that do expediting I have come to a decision. Don't bother me and I won't bother you. This seems like the new way that these people out here are acting.

When people that are all doing the same job take this attitude it seems to me like a sorry State of Affairs.

Well I'll get back down off my soapbox

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
After being in this business for 6 years and meeting lots of people that do expediting I have come to a decision. Don't bother me and I won't bother you. This seems like the new way that these people out here are acting.

When people that are all doing the same job take this attitude it seems to me like a sorry State of Affairs.

Well I'll get back down off my soapbox
It sure does seem that way. I keep reading advise to newbies.... Talk to other drivers, they are told. Seems when I see others, they don't want to talk.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I hate the drivers that bother you when you're parked at the truck stop. It gets old after a while. The conversation always starts out with 'you making any money" lol. I used to love talking to everyone, but that got old after a while. I prefer to be left alone these days. That is if I ever get back into the game. Some older retired guys just want to hang around in parking lots all day telling war stories. I am out here to make money. If you're with the right company, you won't be hanging around in parking lots for days on end. I guess I'm one of the bad guys now.

Reactions: RoadTime

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A courteous "hello back at ya" when at the fuel pumps goes a long way.

I am always friendly, but I don't like being bothered when I'm trying to sleep, or sitting in the front seat typing on my laptop. Some drivers don't have any boundaries. They think they can come up to you when you're talking on the cell phone. I have had drivers try and make noise, or knock on my van when I have the window covers up and they can clearly see that I'm trying to rest. I don't have the desire to talk to every single driver in the parking lot. Not anymore.

Reactions: Tim Xpedites

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am always friendly, but I don't like being bothered when I'm trying to sleep, or sitting in the front seat typing on my laptop. Some drivers don't have any boundaries. They think they can come up to you when you're talking on the cell phone. I have had drivers try and make noise, or knock on my van when I have the window covers up and they can clearly see that I'm trying to rest. I don't have the desire to talk to every single driver in the parking lot. Not anymore.
Oh, I do agree, if the truck/van is closed up, or the driver is obviously doing something, I won't bother him. However, I have been brushed off many times when a simple nod of the head would have sufficed.

Reactions: ntimevan

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
remember the old day's when we would meet in truck stop sit at a table talk, tell tall tales and lie's to pass the time away, even in early day' s what ever company you work for would say don't talk to older drivers
they wanted people in dark so they wouldn't know what was going
so I always taught them what was going on how to make extra money
it is the same way at ceva so keep them in the dark

Reactions: Lawrence

Pro Direct

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Many examples of a noob asking a question(s) here on this forum that was followed with a sarcastic smart ass response. Please don't act like the warm and fuzzy old timers being shunned by the new crowd. That's a croc

Reactions: scottm4211

tknight

Veteran Expediter
If I'm sleeping and someone disturbs me Id be unhappy if I'm sitting bored company is sometimes welcomed as long as your not stinking up my air! I don't mind sharing secrets

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Back in the days people were making money and they were happy to talk to each other. When people are depressed they don't feel like chatting and they generally become grumpy. And believe me, there are lots and lots of depressed expediters. You can see it on their faces.

I used to walk up to other van drivers if they were not busy and there were plenty van drivers walking up to me. There wasn't much else to do other than talking on the phone, and you had limited minutes, reading, or chatting with other drivers. Then internet came along and most drivers nowadays are either on their laptops or on their smart phones.

Also, lately I hang out almost all the time in Walmart parking lots. Very rarely I see an expediter. I just got tired of the noise, filth and the pee smell at the truck stops, so I seldom stop there.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: ysracer

Pro Direct

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Well maybe all you nut jobs will take a break from van living and grace the expo show with your presence in Lexington this summer. Beers and bs on me. My hometown so I'll be there for sure. Looking forward to it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back in the days people were making money and they were happy to talk to each other. When people are depressed they don't feel like chatting and they generally become grumpy. And believe me, there are lots and lots of depressed expediters. You can see it on their faces.

I used to walk up to other van drivers if they were not busy and there were plenty van drivers walking up to me. There wasn't much else to do other than talking on the phone, and you had limited minutes, reading, or chatting with other drivers. Then internet came along and most drivers nowadays are either on their laptops or on their smart phones.

Also, lately I hang out almost all the time in Walmart parking lots. Very rarely I see an expediter. I just got tired of the noise, filth and the pee smell at the truck stops, so I seldom stop there.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Only time I go to a truck stop is for a shower / fuel

Reactions: ysracer

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
remember the old day's when we would meet in truck stop sit at a table talk, tell tall tales and lie's to pass the time away, even in early day' s what ever company you work for would say don't talk to older drivers
they wanted people in dark so they wouldn't know what was going
so I always taught them what was going on how to make extra money
it is the same way at ceva so keep them in the dark

Kinda miss those days

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
Well maybe all you nut jobs will take a break from van living and grace the expo show with your presence in Lexington this summer. Beers and bs on me. My hometown so I'll be there for sure. Looking forward to it.

Did you say " free beer" ??? 1/2 of these guys and gals would show up just for that.... lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
weekend cookouts at the J in Perrysburg or at the Old Detroiter.....everyone welcome Hamburgers and FULL dogs on the grill....even the J Manager came out once.....used to get the onions and tomato. lettuce from the buffet at the J....sometimes the cook would just give it to us and come out for his break....

Blacksburg J in SC... I made the driver next to me breakfast on my cooker....Bacon and eggs with toast....man was he impressed....FREE breaky

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
weekend cookouts at the J in Perrysburg or at the Old Detroiter.....everyone welcome Hamburgers and FULL dogs on the grill....even the J Manager came out once.....used to get the onions and tomato. lettuce from the buffet at the J....sometimes the cook would just give it to us and come out for his break....

Blacksburg J in SC... I made the driver next to me breakfast on my cooker....Bacon and eggs with toast....man was he impressed....FREE breaky

Ovm have never got anything out of you but a headache... lol