Sitting

MNMS

New Recruit
Driver
I've really enjoyed this type of work but have sat all but one weekend since I started in September. The owner said that I would be so busy over the holidays that I would wish for sleep. I've hardly moved the past two weeks and don't know if I can continue to sit every weekend like this. I'll pay a huge price if I quit at this point but I'm so depressed about all the weekend sitting I don't know whether to wait it out or quit. I call in every day to see if anything is moving or see if I should go to another area but it sounds like there isn't much going on anywhere, it would help if I were really busy during the week but it's been so slow...any advice? Will it get better? I'm a CV driver.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sitting on weekends is pretty common. Some companies do a little better on weekends than others. Even at one of those your probably gonna sit more than drive at those times. Sitting is a part of the game especially in a van. The more creature comforts and entertainment like computer, dvds, TV. Heat air comfortable bed, heat and air the easier sitting is.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanksgiving to the end of January is a slow time, it's starts to pick up in February, but really it comes down to a roll of the dice. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose

Undisputed King of Short Runs

Reactions: MNMS and ntimevan

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
While sitting is a part of the job. I've been see guys getting at least 2k miles a week. Are you doing similar? What company are you with?

Reactions: MNMS

MNMS

New Recruit
Driver
Not even getting close to that. Signed on with panther. I've been sewing and have gotten creative cooking on my camp stove I even bought a reliance suitcase potty so I don't have to be out of the van after dark. Guess I'll have to learn to deal with the weekends, I really thought it was something I was doing wrong. Thanks for the replies

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In a van, generally speaking, whenever you get a load over the weekend it's a bonus. There are just too many businesses, manufacturing in particular, that do not work on the weekends.

BTW, Happy birthday! :t3310:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How'd I miss a birthday?

Happy-Birthday-Meme-funny-images-pictures.jpg

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've worked for Panther for four years. Weekend loads are indeed rare. I usually look at weekends as a time to relax, or a time to work on the truck, or if your in a bad area a time to relocate somewhere better.

Reactions: Turtle and MNMS

hangliz1

Seasoned Expediter
Get use to sitting now. I usually sit on weekends an on mondays as well. Lot of places are shut down for a week or so for xmas. Im going home on Wednesday an be home until the 2nd week of February. That's when it usually starts to pick up. Been doing that since 2004.

Reactions: MNMS

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm in Laredo tx. Load pu at 0900. The load is going to Westford Massachusetts Wednesday 0700 delivery. I should be there Tuesday evening hopefully they be open when I get there an unload me.