Shunpiking- wise or foolish?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did a run yesterday. The paid mileage matched my GPS's estimate, and the route suggested involved the PA & NJ Turnpikes, and the GWB. Add 'em together, over $25 for a lowly cargo van. Can't afford that luxury right now, so I took another route. Ended up paying $5 for the Tappan Zee and $1 to cross back into PA at Easton, on the way home. Time lost, 25 minutes. Extra fuel, about $4.50. Due to deliver at 1700, arrived 1709.

So, all in all, was I wise, or foolish to avoid the tolls? Money is an issue right now, and I really do not want to trigger an automatic replenishment on my EZ-Pass of $100!

Wise ones, suggestions are strongly sought :)

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Run it the way you see fit. I am doing the same thing. Sometimes you cut the paid miles off by going a different route.

Ever thought about asking your wife? lol

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
I try to avoid all toll roads...if they would use the money to actually maintain those roads..id be more than happy to contribute...

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I got the time I avoid any toll, last time ez pass was replenished was about a year ago

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
If I got the time I avoid any toll, last time ez pass was replenished was about a year ago

I drive a st truck so pay per mi./toll expense ratio different, but, if tolls are an issue, why not ask dispatch to cover em? To me, the extra 25 minutes on a tight schedule is not worth the added pressure of a possible late delivery, after all, we are expediters.

That being said, I have rarely asked for tolls to be reimbursed because our carrier wants receipts and we use the EZPass to avoid stopping. After seeing we spent $1200 last yr on tolls alone, we may be changing our approach as I have found the empty poptart bags make a nice tinfoil rap for the tag.

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
I think your EZ Pass bill will suffice in place of receipts...just highlight the tolls on that route and put pro number next to them.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I've had to run the turnpikes and the GWB, the company I'm driving for added additional money to the ticket without my having to ask. The problem, of course, is the two-week delay between spending the money on tolls and getting the money in my check, but the thing is they made sure the tolls got at least partially covered.

Illinois toll is different, I've never had the company cover that. Since I use I-Pass, I pay half of the cash price for toll in Illinois anyway.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Two good suggestions: lower the replenishment [mine's at $40], and print out the list for reimbursement. If you don't have a printer on the road, you can do it at the library.
I circle the pro number on my own paperwork if tolls were paid, so I can match pro numbers to tolls. Deduct any for personal travel, and should be good to go.