Shipping Hazmat, Help please.

Guacapoli

New Recruit
Hi guys I just have a few questions that I hope you can help me out with. My company just started distributing for a paint company. A few products are UN1263, flammable liquid, 3, PGII. I have some experience in hazmat but only in large quantities. We have customers coming to pickup some products and we use pick up trucks to also deliver them. It's usually only a few hundred pounds of products, definitely not over 1,000 lbs ever. My questions are:

In order for us to deliver this product do we need any type of hazmat endorsement?

If a customer picks up, does he need to have some kind of endorsement?

Thanks guys!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Anything that requires placards requires a HAZMAT endorsement. If the shipment doesn't require placards, then no endorsement is required. The same is true for a customer pickup.

Reactions: bg101 and Guacapoli

Guacapoli

New Recruit
Anything that requires placards requires a HAZMAT endorsement. If the shipment doesn't require placards, then no endorsement is required. The same is true for a customer pickup.

Thank you. I'm under the understanding that as long as it's under $1,000 pounds the vehicle does not need to be placarded.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is 1000 dollar pounds kinda like foot-pounds, only different? :D

Yes, any Class 3 Flammable Table 2 material is limited to 1,000 pounds for transport by motor vehicle. So no placards required.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Don't know if true for I was told if you get caught loaded with Hazmat over 1,000 lbs and you fail put placards on your truck and you get pulled over the fine is very BIG, and kiss your driver lic good bye.Loading Hazmat and placards you truck is like putting target on your back. Now if your from eastern euro, or from Russian you can get by with it, and Keep On Trucking.DOT love to road side placarded truck.................Good luck tell the boys at Red Spot I said hi, heard they were getting it done for 80 cents a mile.

Reactions: bg101

southern yankee

Rookie Expediter
Try leaving the shipper with less than a thousand pounds, no placards and no endorsement carrying that particular hazmat you are speaking of.

You will pass go without placards as they are not required on this load under 1001 lbs but you will go straight to jail with no hazmat endorsement for the shipper and the driver's license.

Also, if you placard and it's not required, there is a fine for that too. Better get your hazmat book out to ensure your success and future in this business. Been out many years, had many inspections and we know the book well.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, if you're loaded with hazardous material which requires placards, and you aren't placarded, and/or don't have a CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement, the non-compliance with these regulations can mean a minimum fine of $2500, up to $5000, you'll lose your license for 6 months to 2 years, and you could face jail time on top of that.

BTW, not every thread has to be about the Russians.

Reactions: bg101 and deadhead

Yowpuggy

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
And if you forgot to remove the placards after delivery and get stop, there could fine too.

Reactions: bg101

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Yes, if you're loaded with hazardous material which requires placards, and you aren't placarded, and/or don't have a CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement, the non-compliance with these regulations can mean a minimum fine of $2500, up to $5000, you'll lose your license for 6 months to 2 years, and you could face jail time on top of that.

BTW, not every thread has to be about the Russians.
BTW its does from me until my fellow drivers band together and fight back, try helping. I remain.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From the person who says it's ok for an American to cheat the system, smh.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it doesn't require placards it doesn't require a hazmat endorsement.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
BTW its does from me until my fellow drivers band together and fight back, try helping. I remain.
Then as per the Code of Conduct, it will be considered SPAM and you'll be warned and probably banned. If you want to start a thread on the Russians, feel free to do so, but you will not be able to hijack other threads for that purpose.

I shouldn't have to post the relevant section from the Code of Conduct for you, since you've been a member here for a decade, but just in case your zeal overcomes your thought processes...

8. Spamming is prohibited.
Spam is considered to be repetitive posting of the same topic again and again or nonsensical posts that have no substance and are often designed to annoy other forum users. Posts of this nature are not conducive to the community and are unwelcome. - Posting an identical topic in more than one forum is considered spam. - Sending any commercial message via the Conversations (private message) feature of the forum will also be considered as spamming.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Just for anyone not familiar with HAZMAT the requirement is 1000 lbs on this particular product but other materials may require placards with much lower quantities. There seems to be a myth in the trucking industry that you don't need placards for any HAZMAT load under 1000 lbs.

Reactions: SWTexas1

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Since he specifically mentioned UN 1263, I kept my response constrained to that material. But, generally speaking, anything on Table 2 can be hauled under 1001 pounds without an endorsement (the big exception is Class 9, which does not require placards in any amount for domestic transportation, except for bulk containers). Anything listed on Table 1 must be placarded regardless of quantity.

In addition, you are not permitted to load a package labeled POISON or POISON INHALATION HAZARD in the driver’s cab or sleeper, or with food material for human or animal consumption. Which also means you can't haul that in a cargo van or Sprinter-type, even if you have a sealed bulkhead, or in a box truck if you have a passageway between the cab and the cargo box. The driver and the load must be separated.

Reactions: vandriver2

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
From the person who says it's ok for an American to cheat the system, smh.
Correction I didn't imply that it was ok to cheat.You sound like Fox News you hear why you want, and overlook the issue. I feel like i'm in a Crap game trying to make my point the hard way.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Then as per the Code of Conduct, it will be considered SPAM and you'll be warned and probably banned. If you want to start a thread on the Russians, feel free to do so, but you will not be able to hijack other threads for that purpose.

I shouldn't have to post the relevant section from the Code of Conduct for you, since you've been a member here for a decade, but just in case your zeal overcomes your thought processes...

8. Spamming is prohibited.
Spam is considered to be repetitive posting of the same topic again and again or nonsensical posts that have no substance and are often designed to annoy other forum users. Posts of this nature are not conducive to the community and are unwelcome. - Posting an identical topic in more than one forum is considered spam. - Sending any commercial message via the Conversations (private message) feature of the forum will also be considered as spamming.
I rest my case.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Correction I didn't imply that it was ok to cheat.You sound like Fox News you hear why you want, and overlook the issue. I feel like i'm in a Crap game trying to make my point the hard way.
He compared and contrasted your comment as implying it was OK to ignore the Code of Conduct just because you find it inconvenient.

As for making your case, there is no case to be made. All you're doing it bitching about it, and trying to recruit everyone else to bitch about it with you. It's not like we don't know your feelings on the issue, and it's not like we are unaware of the problems with those who run illegally.

Reactions: ntimevan

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
You are right.Recruit bitching drivers is not my goal.I'v spend a lot of my time on the phone with Commercial Vehicle Enforcement in attempting to get there attention.That was someone advice in this forum. I hate that ever started on these issues here in this forum this is the wrong place.So far I've gotten very little help or advice on how to proceed.If that mades me a bad person please forgive me.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Like I said, start a thread on it, there's nothing wrong that that. But don't try and turn every thread on here into a bitch session about Russian drivers and yellow trucks.

Reactions: vandriver2