Saying hello

Jeffro10

New Recruit
Researching
New to the forum and being an owner/operator of sorts. I worked as a delivery driver for 24 years in a School District and was forced to resign due to having a rough year with being sick (Went in the hospital twice). Needless to say, because of that Im finding it hard to go back to that type of job. Which is why being an Owner/Operator may be my route to go.

Ill have questions, probably the same questions that have been asked over and over again lol. I apologize in advance for that.

as of right now I am just gonna do research on driving a van or a box truck, do I need to register as an O/O, do I need a book to keep track of my payment, miles etc...etc...

As you can see this is all VERY new to me.

Again, I'll be doing some research here on the forums, thanks for having me

Jeff

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Jeff,

Welcome to EO. Everyone has an interesting story how they got into this business. Lot's of opportunities, as well as some risks. Read, share and network.

Best wishes for you success!

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

Last edited:

Jeffro10

New Recruit
Researching
Thank you very much for the welcome people, its nice to have support in a new endeavor. As far as OTR, no, I do not have OTR as far as driving overnight. I delivered for Klein School District for 24 years, so driving is good to go for me, Freeway, back roads lol. I do not have a CDL which is why I am debating on buying a E-350 Ford Van for a GREAT price or finding a Box truck to start out with

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Read. Keep reading. Read some more. Read again. Talk to current drivers in the business. Read. Keep reading. Read some more. Read again.

Jeff - research and knowledge are power. Understanding the business is crucial to your success. Take your time and devise a solid plan. There is money to be made - just understand an approximate amount - and how to go about making it.

Good luck.

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Educate yourself as much as possible then decide if this seems like a career you'd like. Once you've decided if this is for you but you have no over the road experience I suggest trying to drive for an owner first. The reason I say that is that all the reading and local driving experience cannot prepare you for what this job truly is. In this career you make money as an owner operater of a single van by being in service and on the road for extended periods of time, that means not at home often. Reading also does not prepare you for the sitting involved with this job. The sitting is what breaks most drivers. By driving for an owner you'll also learn the business better and learn some tricks of the trade as well as hot and cold spots for freight. You gain all of the experience and go through the growing pains without the worries of van costs. I say all of that to help you NOT deter you. I've seen too many drivers fail or simply not like the life, so why spend money to come out here as owner operater just to find out you don't like it. I loooove my job and knew this is what I wanted as soon as I got into the industry driving for a fleet owner. Good luck and hope to see you out here one day!

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Educate yourself as much as possible then decide if this seems like a career you'd like. Once you've decided if this is for you but you have no over the road experience I suggest trying to drive for an owner first. The reason I say that is that all the reading and local driving experience cannot prepare you for what this job truly is. In this career you make money as an owner operater of a single van by being in service and on the road for extended periods of time, that means not at home often. Reading also does not prepare you for the sitting involved with this job. The sitting is what breaks most drivers. By driving for an owner you'll also learn the business better and learn some tricks of the trade as well as hot and cold spots for freight. You gain all of the experience and go through the growing pains without the worries of van costs. I say all of that to help you NOT deter you. I've seen too many drivers fail or simply not like the life, so why spend money to come out here as owner operater just to find out you don't like it. I loooove my job and knew this is what I wanted as soon as I got into the industry driving for a fleet owner. Good luck and hope to see you out here one day!

I absolutely appreciate Everything Apax. Well written and so refreshing to hear someone looove their driving job. Seems recently there are only negatives associated with driving.

Reactions: TeamHutch

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I knew I wanted to do this twenty plus years ago when I was a kid my uncle had his own business an would let me go with him during the summers I remember the first time I went thru the dessert not much there for as far as u could see it had me hooked

Reactions: TeamPaul and Moot