Say you were in charge of Ford, Chrysler, GM, Frei

twostep

Expert Expediter
Or at least product development...

and you you were in charge of designing the perfect expedite van, what features and other stuff would you put in an expedite B-van or a box truck? I'm not talking about aftermarket features or aftermarket bodies. I mean stuff in the cab, cab design, types of engines/engine choices, systems (cruise control, ABS, etc.), and other things.

Same goes for a perfect straight truck. Would you have in that design?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
RE: Say you were in charge of Ford, Chrysler, GM,

Spur of the moment I'd say it would have more gauges than a personal vehicle to monitor more system functions rather than waiting on the idiot lights to come on.

The radio would have both cassette and cd so you could put the cassette adapter for satellite radio in and still listen to cd's when you wanted to.

Dual sun visors on both sides.

Minimal/no chrome or other reflective surfaces in the cab.

Premium seats with full adjustability and recline.

Diesel power with aux. diesel fired heater for layovers.

Overhead console with built in cb prep and maximum storage pockets.

Available in dash GPS similar to the Honda system.

All the usual cruise, tilt, pw, pl, keyless, etc.

I'm sure there are other things but those are the ones that instantly come to mind.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter

I'm liking my Sprinter less every day, but I think that's in part because of my seat being so uncomfortable. Gimme a comfy seat in there & I think I'd pretty much stick w/ a Sprinter but have the following upgrades.

1) Comfortable seat. Mannnnnnnnnnn, do I miss my Ford. I'm going to see if my Ford's seat might fit in my Sprinter. I doubt it will but it's worth a shot b4 I go buy a seat.

2) Two cigarette lighters. No, I don't smoke but I always have this thing or that thing that I wanna plug in. Phone charger, cooler/heater, massage unit (for that uncomfy seat I was talking about) etc. I can get a splitter I know, but am leary of having too much plugged in there & having the thing short circuit. Then I have NO lighter.

3) Cabinet/shelf of some sort up top for a CB radio. Yes, I can mount it up there, I'd just rather the thing was contained. Personal preference.

4) A steerring wheel that adjusted.

5) A visor that adjusted to block the sun out of the side window. I guess the Sun only comes thru the front window over in Germany. =)

6) Radio controls in the steering wheel since I guess in Germany the law must be "Passenger adjusts radio".. Yeesh, could ya put the stereo anymore to the right for me??? I'd like to also torque my LOWER back trying to adjust the thing.

7) Actually, maybe a better way to go would be to say I'd want a Ford w/ a Sprinter cargo area & better gas milage.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

I want all of the above available to me as cargo van standard or option.

I want in-dash gps navigation system;
In-dash XM, AM, FM, CB, Cassette and CD player;
Plug-in for Qualcomm Mobile Comms Terminal;
A power point console for pluging in/charging all the gadgets;
Battery power source isolated from the main starting battery;
Extra reading lights that actually light up the cab;
Blue Tooth hands free phone capability;
Thermostat/manual controlled remote start;
500,000 mile, bumper-to-bumper warranty

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

I would have to say a standard High Top option like the Sprinter.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Sacred cows make the best burgers

"So tell me, are those cookies made with real Girl Scouts?"

Sometimes the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease, it just gets replaced

You can't tell a book by its movie

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

bryan

Veteran Expediter

HI
1. Cloth door pouches on all doors.The plastic one take to much space.My 94 ford had cloth and I could set a gallon jug of water on the passenger side step.It stayed cold and I didn't have to worry about it rolling around.
2.The same radio and speaker system that is in my Nissan Frontier.I don't know who makes it but it is the best I've every had.Really small speakers but thier mighty loud.Great rececption.
3.The suspension from the Chevy Express
4.6 cylinder deisel engine a4od tranny and 3:53 rear end, easy access to all filters,tranny pan should have a drain plug hate taking a bath in tranny fluid every filter change.
5.Sprinter body
6. 3 deep cell batteries in one location with an aux solar charger mounted on roof
7.aux heater with timer that also heats engine
8.roof mounted aux ac
9. factory installed running boards.
10. aluminum bumpers.paint flakes off and chrome gets sand blasted in the winter.
11.Norstar system
12.100,000 mile bumber to bumper warrenty for commercial use vehicles.
13 Ford six way cloth seats with arm rests on both sides.removable rubber floor cover I don't mean floor mats I mean the whole thing is removable for easier cleaning and not vinyl, needs to be rubber, my foot slips everytime I go to get out of bunk.
14. lots of gauges and swithes I want it to look like a 747 cockpit especilly some unused switches so that I don't have to drill on a new dash just to mount a fog light switch
15. better side and rear door hinges, can't keep mine adjusted right.
16.Adjustable headlights.useing the same technology as the moto mirrors and an automatic dimmer switch.No more Torx screws all screws should be Johnson screws the kind that take a Phillips or flat.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's a pretty good list. You left out having someone to drive it for you.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter

So far the list is good.

For the Sprinter Van.
#1 AIR RIDE SEATING>>>>>>>>A must
#2 overhead storage unit with an area for CB radio
#3 visors for side windows
#4 optional extra fuel tank(s)
#5 more and better guages
#6 flip forward front end, for better and easier service to engine
and lets try the cummins engine with allison trans.

2004 2500 sprinter with high top, 212000+ miles

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Anna Nicole Smith after she wins her court case in the passengers seat. Now look at what would happen at the F J when you came in with that ,( take your pick,) Lady (no way), Co Driver LOL, Perhaps a million dollar sprinter with a few bells and whistles. Someone once said after 7 yers of found money you are back to where you were. I would like to try it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Anything you can find parts for.

I am easy to please........then again.......I might be asking too much?

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

Dave do you mean thayou want replacement parts for Anna or the van?

talkinghorse43

Expert Expediter

My '02 passenger Sprinter has a 12v cigarette lighter-like socket on the center console AND an actual cigarette lighter in the ashtray below that center console. I don't know if there were changes in newer models.