Run with own authority?

ground-pound

Active Expediter
So in the trucking world you may have a guy who has his own authority, and he may or may not try to get his own customers, but he will be a preferred carrier for say landstar, mercer, schneider etc...

The only talk I recall hearing about this in the expedite world is somebody dreaming of having authority and running the selectus board...except you have to have at least 10 trucks right?

Does anybody ever talk about running for multiple carriers, while at the same time trying to get their own customers?

Forgive me if this is more of the same old same old questions...I'm guessing it don't work so well because I don't think expedite companies seem to really have their own customers aside from picking off the selectus.

Anyway if this thread moves ya.....throw it out there......whatcha think, what's your thoughts?

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I done it for several years worked with panther, landstar, ch robinson, tri state etc. and it worked out ok till I got to the point that I wanted to add trucks other than the ones I owned. just not enough hours in the day and really I profit more just being leased on to landstar in a week with just one truck.than I did owning 3 . but to each his or her own you may make it work out. to many headaches no one wants electronic logs. they don't like big brother seeing what they are doing.if you have deep pockets you might want to try it the best way to make a million is to start with 2 or maybe 3.but once you start adding trucks remember this any problem they have becomes your problem.if the truck breaks down and they need 5 k to fix it and they got your expedite load on what you gonna do? if you are able to go big right from the start 20-30 tractors you might make it lots of customers out there looking for free warehouse space wanting 20+ trailers dropped just hope you can keep them all loaded coming back to keep the pool full. so long story short there is only one of you that you can depend on. so 1 truck 1 insurance payment 1 repair escrow 1 fuel bill and 1 operator who will stay in compliance you can make a decent living doing it on your own. not get rich but decent living.or deep pockets to begin with and I mean deep to the point that you really don't need to earn a nickel cause it can take every dime in the bank. I play online black jack and can double my money faster

Reactions: kg and ntimevan

mohamud2017

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello my name is Mohamud and I have my own authority I can't find insurance every insurance I talk to they require me to have one year of my authority so is there someone that would provide me my Authority insurance without requiring me to have 1 year to have my authority

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello my name is Mohamud and I have my own authority I can't find insurance every insurance I talk to they require me to have one year of my authority so is there someone that would provide me my Authority insurance without requiring me to have 1 year to have my authority

When I was getting a quote from Progressive, I don't remember 1 year of authority ever coming up.

Reactions: ntimevan

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That must be something new. In order to get your authority you have to have ins before they will issue authority.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was getting a quote from Progressive, I don't remember 1 year of authority ever coming up.

That must be something new. In order to get your authority you have to have ins before they will issue authority.
f59b77ed98a5fabaad8173bb749cbe67.jpg

You need pants to get authority ..

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: fastman_1

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The one year thing is becoming more common in expedite. Insurance carriers see too much turn over and risk in brand new carriers.

good..about time they trying and shut the door to underfunded operators...we don't need anymore skimming the pond...its a win for Johns battle...

Reactions: ntimevan

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy

If your really wanting to try it just find someone who has a voluntary shut down of MC number pay the $65 or $80 bucks to reactivate. make sure not an out of service order and buy the number from them pay $300 to change ownership to yourself and now your a 3-5 year old company.when there is a will there is a way. but see my post above. also make sure you do some research find out who they did business with and that they had no outstanding judgement or ucc filing

mohamud2017

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
But I have 1 million liability of 100,000 cargo still they told me they cannot Activate my authority because my Authority it's New I don't have it for one year yet so they tell me to wait one year I don't know why I even have 300,000 lability and the hundred thousand cargo still nothing working for me and I'm paying every month my Insurance I have two different policies one for 1 million liability hundred thousand cargo and the other one is 300,000 liability and 100,000 cargo

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
But I have 1 million liability of 100,000 cargo still they told me they cannot Activate my authority because my Authority it's New I don't have it for one year yet so they tell me to wait one year I don't know why I even have 300,000 lability and the hundred thousand cargo still nothing working for me and I'm paying every month my Insurance I have two different policies one for 1 million liability hundred thousand cargo and the other one is 300,000 liability and 100,000 cargo

now I am confused

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
if you already have insurance on file do you have boc 3 ? process agents and paid the $300 for mc number?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Also, I do not have MC number and Dot.
Hello my name is Mohamud and I have my own authority
You don't have an MC number or DOT number, but you have your own authority. Setting aside the fact that those two contradicting facts makes one or the other an impossibility, let's assume they are both true, and that on Thursday you did not, in fact, have either an MC number or a DOT number, but now two days later you have your authority. So, from where, exactly, did you obtain your authority? And, was a number given to you with that authority?
I can't find insurance
But I have 1 million liability of 100,000 cargo
I have two different policies one for 1 million liability hundred thousand cargo and the other one is 300,000 liability and 100,000 cargo
At 04:10 on this fine Saturday morning you couldn't find insurance, now a few hours later at 15:10 you not only found insurance, but two separate policies? That's impressive.

Perhaps you should take a step back and tell us where you are, what company you have been with for the last 6 months, how long you have been in the expediting industry, and why you think it makes sense to obtain your own authority and insurance in a Sprinter and find your own loads.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Mohamud.
Depending on the model you plan to run you have at least two options.

1) work as an owner operator for a fleet owner.
I would try Commercial insurance solutions. They are pricey however they will have all the coverages that major carriers will require of their contractors. Industry standards are 1 million liability on the truck, one hundred thousand coverage on the freight, one million business liability. Fleet owners and carriers often require breakdown towing insurance injury illness lost time insurance, coverage for rental trucks, workman's compensation insurance. When I was covered by them I was insured through Progressive.
I ran with them for a few years and had good luck with Shelly and John. The only reason I dropped them was my coverage needs changed and New York states insurance laws got in the way.

2) You don't plan on running under a dedicated and you have a clean driving record check with an Erie agent. This is a bare bones no extras policy. 1 million liability on the truck, one hundred thousand coverage on the freight, one million business liability. Its allot cheaper than progressive but like I said it doesn't have the extras.
I have had a when claim tree fell on the truck and Erie paid for the repairs with no problems truck was in the shop in a couple days.
In any case I recommend collision and glass coverages.

PM me if you have any questions.
Bob Wolf