Roof Heights

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The tallest doors possible will allow the most options for freight height. The longest load floor possible will allow the most options for freight length. The taller and longer the freight you can carry the more potential for getting jobs you a. wouldn't otherwise be able to carry and b. wouldn't otherwise be offered. The more jobs you get offered the more money you can potentially make. So, probably, the tallest longest possible. YMMV

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You buy a Sprinter specifically to have a larger vehicle that a North American Slop Bucket. That being the case--- the longest, tallest 2500 series Sprinter is the ticket.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't see a big benefit to the super high fiberglass roof.

Is the door opening taller? If so, then I'd think it's the way to go. If the door is the same height as the high roof there's nearly no reason to go with the super high. There still could be a load or two that it would make the difference but probably few and far between.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is the door opening taller? If so, then I'd think it's the way to go. If the door is the same height as the high roof there's nearly no reason to go with the super high. There still could be a load or two that it would make the difference but probably few and far between.

I don't believe it is. They are pretty rare and the added roof cap doesn't look like mb quality although I think it's a factory option.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The super high roof is a benefit if you're super tall. Or if you want to use it for an RV conversion. Some businesses I'm sure can benefit from it. But otherwise in expediting, the benefit is severely limited.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
tall enough that i can put my clothes on while standing up. thats the 72 inch tall door. i didnt go with extra long, because long was long enough for three pallets, a few extra inches buffer and 19 inches of bunk space. without the extra long i get an extra 115 lbs for weight capacity.

regardless of the stated door height, measure it and use that number for your door height when booking freight.

eb

duwayne86

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks to everyone for the help! Now I have another question for you? Who can tell me when I might be able to get financing for a first time sprinter buyer with no down payment? Maybe a owner that would like to retire and I could take over payments, how about a company that will hire a van driver until I can build up a down payment or find a finance company that will do 100% financing that's works with one or more of the company out there that's looking a good driver.. Thanks

duwayne86

Seasoned Expediter
I know it's a improper ? to ask but is there someone out there from Tx. that's going to the workshop in Knoxville next month that needs a relief driver? Or one that could use a co driver for a couple of weeks, so I could learn the ropes sort of speaking! I been stuck in a electric wheelchair for the last five years letting my body heal after getting hurt. Now that, I'm better I would love to go back to work. I hate retirement it sucks! I miss the road. So if anyone would like to give a old trucker a break. Email me at [email protected] or right here. I live in San Angelo, Tx Thank you again Duwayne Owens

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Duwayne,

Follow the link to a few articles on getting started in a cargo van. If you are really set on driving a van, I'd say to stick with a regular local job until you have the CASH to get into a used van. A loan on a sprinter van is a very, very deep hole that most people don't get out of. While doing the regular job, keep your eyes open for that steal of a deal from the other guy who is going out of business.

Tin Can; Consolidated

eb

Last edited:

SprinterSiouxFalls

Rookie Expediter
i would stick to 170E with the standard high roof. The super high fiberglass top won't be painted and less refined. Resale purposes will be the best with the standard high roof as well. It would make more sense if the doors were raised as well.